Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minimstreamer not properly installed on my W10 laptop
21-02-2020, 22:52
minimstreamer not properly installed on my W10 laptop
Hi there

I am new to the forum and hope that someone might enlighten me.

I have a TEAC NT505 and downloaded minimserver to my windows 10 laptop as it was recommended by TEAC. I have since downloaded minimstreamer but don't seem to be able to activate it.

If I click on the "about minimserver" link from the taskbar icon it tells me that I have MinimServer 0.8.5.2 update 134 and MinimStreamer 0.7.15 (and it tells me all packages are up to date). However, when I open the system tab the stream.converter, stream.record and stream.transcode fields are all blank. The user guide suggests that it has not installed successfully.

I am able to access minimserver quite successfully from the TEAC mobile app so minimserver appears not to be the problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2020, 01:15
RE: minimstreamer not properly installed on my W10 laptop
(21-02-2020 22:52)hang_dog Wrote:  Hi there

I have a TEAC NT505 and downloaded minimserver to my windows 10 laptop as it was recommended by TEAC. I have since downloaded minimstreamer but don't seem to be able to activate it.

If I click on the "about minimserver" link from the taskbar icon it tells me that I have MinimServer 0.8.5.2 update 134 and MinimStreamer 0.7.15 (and it tells me all packages are up to date). However, when I open the system tab the stream.converter, stream.record and stream.transcode fields are all blank. The user guide suggests that it has not installed successfully.

I am able to access minimserver quite successfully from the TEAC mobile app so minimserver appears not to be the problem.

From the User guide

You can check that MinimStreamer is running by looking at the System tab of the MinimServer properties dialog. If MinimStreamer is running, the properties stream.converter, stream.record and stream.transcode will appear in the System tab.

I think you may have read something between the lines that is not there.
The properties are not pre populated with default values. The fact they exist indicates that Minimstreamer has been installed.

How would you like to use Minimstreamer?
22-02-2020, 01:33
(22-02-2020 01:15)Alandbush Wrote:  
(21-02-2020 22:52)hang_dog Wrote:  Hi there

From the User guide

You can check that MinimStreamer is running by looking at the System tab of the MinimServer properties dialog. If MinimStreamer is running, the properties stream.converter, stream.record and stream.transcode will appear in the System tab.

I think you may have read something between the lines that is not there.
The properties are not pre populated with default values. The fact they exist indicates that Minimstreamer has been installed.

How would you like to use Minimstreamer?
22-02-2020, 01:55
Aah, I see what you are saying and you are clearly right. I was expecting a GUI to appear when minimserver booted up. However, all I really want to do is stream from my laptop to the DAC - internet radio or from my library.
22-02-2020, 09:58
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

It's probably a good idea to start with streaming music from your library. Your UPnP control point app (either an app provided by TEAC or a third-party app such as BubbleUPnP or mconnect) should show a library named MinimServer[xxx] where xxx is the name of your laptop. Select this, browse to something in your library and play it.

After this is working, you can try internet radio. If you are in the UK, a good starting point is to play one of the BBC radio streams. See this page for detailed instructions on how to do this.

When you have the BBC streams playing correctly, you can edit your radio playlist (or create a new radio playlist) to add other stations. There is no GUI for doing this, so you need to use a text editor such as Notepad on Windows to edit the radio playlist and add URLs for the stations you want to play.

If you need help with creating your radio playlist or anything else, please post back here.
22-02-2020, 15:28
(22-02-2020 09:58)simoncn Wrote:  Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

It's probably a good idea to start with streaming music from your library. Your UPnP control point app (either an app provided by TEAC or a third-party app such as BubbleUPnP or mconnect) should show a library named MinimServer[xxx] where xxx is the name of your laptop. Select this, browse to something in your library and play it.

After this is working, you can try internet radio. If you are in the UK, a good starting point is to play one of the BBC radio streams. See this page for detailed instructions on how to do this.

When you have the BBC streams playing correctly, you can edit your radio playlist (or create a new radio playlist) to add other stations. There is no GUI for doing this, so you need to use a text editor such as Notepad on Windows to edit the radio playlist and add URLs for the stations you want to play.

If you need help with creating your radio playlist or anything else, please post back here.

Thanks Simon.

I have to confess I have got myself in a muddle juggling the two instruction sets (teac and minimserver/streamer). The teac hr audio player on my laptop doesn't seem to detect minimserver and only appears to work if I connect via USB (I have now noticed network functions for the DAC are only available via mobile app!). While this produces amazing audio it isn't a practical option with the extra wiring involved and doesn't address the internet radio issue at all. It looks as though I have been barking up a non-existent tree here.
22-02-2020, 18:09
It looks like the TEAC app for Windows doesn't support UPnP, only direct play from disk using a USB connection. For UPnP (MinimServer) support, you would need to use the TEAC remote app for Android or iOS.

It should be possible to play internet radio from MinimServer/MinimStreamer using the TEAC remote app.
22-02-2020, 23:06
(22-02-2020 18:09)simoncn Wrote:  It looks like the TEAC app for Windows doesn't support UPnP, only direct play from disk using a USB connection. For UPnP (MinimServer) support, you would need to use the TEAC remote app for Android or iOS.

It should be possible to play internet radio from MinimServer/MinimStreamer using the TEAC remote app.

Thanks Simon

I have it all set up on the mobile app with no problems. Put it down to a shortcoming of the teac windows audio player. I am, though, able to cast my library, via ethernet, directly to the teac from WMP (without minimserver being active). It all seems a bit odd really.

Thanks again for your help anyway
23-02-2020, 09:56
This is because WMP can function as both a UPnP server and UPnP control point, using the TEAC as a UPnP renderer.

Have you tried playing radio streams with MinimStreamer?
23-02-2020, 16:11
(23-02-2020 09:56)simoncn Wrote:  This is because WMP can function as both a UPnP server and UPnP control point, using the TEAC as a UPnP renderer.

Have you tried playing radio streams with MinimStreamer?

I am playing radio streams fine on the lumin (same as teac) android app. With respect to minimstreamer, I haven't been able to access it as a separate entity on the laptop so I've sort of given up on it. Rather convenientlly I have a tablet here that I don't use much so I'm using it to run the lumin app.