Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playlists
09-04-2013, 13:46
Playlists
Simon - excellent new features in 0.7 - thank you. Have not tried them all yet but will be doing so

One of the ones I was looking forward to is playlist support. MinimServer is showing the new container and correctly showing "22 playlists"
However when I click on 22 playlists, it shows the playlist names correctly but does not show a count for the items in the playlists nor does it show anything when I click on any playlist name. Also it does not put anything on the playlist if I highlight one and try Play Now (I'm using Kinsky at this point).
I use MediaMonkey to create the playlists. This has an option to "Use Unicode (UTF-8 encoding) for M3U playlists". I have tried creating lists without this set and with this set. It creates files with just a M3U suffix regardless. I did try renaming the ones using UTF-8 encoding to .UTF8 but this didn't work either.
What did you use to create M3U files when you were testing? Perhaps I can use that to create my files and compare to the MM ones to see what's different
Peter

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Lumin & Kazoo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2013, 16:18
RE: Playlists
(09-04-2013 13:46)Peter@57m Wrote:  Simon - excellent new features in 0.7 - thank you. Have not tried them all yet but will be doing so

One of the ones I was looking forward to is playlist support. MinimServer is showing the new container and correctly showing "22 playlists"
However when I click on 22 playlists, it shows the playlist names correctly but does not show a count for the items in the playlists nor does it show anything when I click on any playlist name. Also it does not put anything on the playlist if I highlight one and try Play Now (I'm using Kinsky at this point).
I use MediaMonkey to create the playlists. This has an option to "Use Unicode (UTF-8 encoding) for M3U playlists". I have tried creating lists without this set and with this set. It creates files with just a M3U suffix regardless. I did try renaming the ones using UTF-8 encoding to .UTF8 but this didn't work either.
What did you use to create M3U files when you were testing? Perhaps I can use that to create my files and compare to the MM ones to see what's different
Peter

There seems to be a problem with playlists. I'm working on it now, and I'll let you know when I've got a solution.
09-04-2013, 16:43
(09-04-2013 16:18)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 13:46)Peter@57m Wrote:  Simon - excellent new features in 0.7 - thank you. Have not tried them all yet but will be doing so

Peter

There seems to be a problem with playlists. I'm working on it now, and I'll let you know when I've got a solution.

OK thanks. I 'l play with the other new cool functionality for now :-)

Peter
10-04-2013, 22:54
To update this thread. Simon helped me identify an issue I was having - thank you Simon.
I run MinimServer on a QNAP Intel NAS drive. The directory I refer to in contentDir is /share/Public/FLAC which I set with MinimWatch on my Windows PC.
I use MediaMonkey on the PC to load, tag and generally manage my music files. Its also very flexible for creating playlists. I map the music folder on the QNAP to drive X on the PC. This is the standard Windows way of referring to a network drive.
Recently I have been using a script or macro in MediaMonkey to update all the playlist when I've done some update in my music library. The script creates all the m3u files.
The issue I was hitting was the track entries were created with entries starting X:\FLAC\xxx, so referring to the tracks in "PC" notation which didn't mean anything to MinimServer.
When trying different things I found that if I created each playlist individually the entries would start xxx (where xxx is the directory containing the artist). So this removed the problem of the Windows drive notation.
However the entries still used Windows directory separators of \ rather than the UNIX / used by QNAP. So a quick global replace of all \s with /s and all is now working.
Thought I'd update the thread in case anybody else hits the same issue with playlists

Peter
11-04-2013, 08:34 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 08:34 by simoncn.)
(10-04-2013 22:54)Peter@57m Wrote:  To update this thread. Simon helped me identify an issue I was having - thank you Simon.
I run MinimServer on a QNAP Intel NAS drive. The directory I refer to in contentDir is /share/Public/FLAC which I set with MinimWatch on my Windows PC.
I use MediaMonkey on the PC to load, tag and generally manage my music files. Its also very flexible for creating playlists. I map the music folder on the QNAP to drive X on the PC. This is the standard Windows way of referring to a network drive.
Recently I have been using a script or macro in MediaMonkey to update all the playlist when I've done some update in my music library. The script creates all the m3u files.
The issue I was hitting was the track entries were created with entries starting X:\FLAC\xxx, so referring to the tracks in "PC" notation which didn't mean anything to MinimServer.
When trying different things I found that if I created each playlist individually the entries would start xxx (where xxx is the directory containing the artist). So this removed the problem of the Windows drive notation.
However the entries still used Windows directory separators of \ rather than the UNIX / used by QNAP. So a quick global replace of all \s with /s and all is now working.
Thought I'd update the thread in case anybody else hits the same issue with playlists

Thanks for this update. One more thing to add is that while working with Peter on this, I found some problems in the 0.70 code that handles playlists. These will be fixed in the upcoming 0.71 release.
18-04-2013, 11:19
Hi
I have just installed Minim 0.71 and have encountered exactly the same problem with playlists I have created using mediamonkey.
My problem is that with my pitiful level of computer knowledge, I wouldn't know how to begin to apply the solution suggested by Peter@57m. Would it be possible to give a little more detail on how to apply that fix, or should I just wait for Simon's update to arrive in due course.

Any input gratefully received
18-04-2013, 11:47
(18-04-2013 11:19)retraite Wrote:  Hi
I have just installed Minim 0.71 and have encountered exactly the same problem with playlists I have created using mediamonkey.
My problem is that with my pitiful level of computer knowledge, I wouldn't know how to begin to apply the solution suggested by Peter@57m. Would it be possible to give a little more detail on how to apply that fix, or should I just wait for Simon's update to arrive in due course.

Any input gratefully received

The update has happened already (in 0.71). Are you running MinimServer on a NAS? If so, you need to use valid Linux paths for the files in your playlists.

Fortunately, there is a Windows tool that can do this (see this post). I have tried this and it seems to work well. Here's what I did:

1) Set the Save location as a folder underneath your MinimServer content directory.
2) On the settings page (playlist details section), choose "relative paths" and "use forward slashes"
3) Create and save your playlists
18-04-2013, 18:01
Hi Simon

Thanks for all your work and your (extremely) prompt response. I am using a QNAP 459 with Minim 0.71. Computer operating system is, as you surmised, Windows (8).

I have tried the course you suggested, but am still coming up with the same problem. Minim can see the folder, but can't find any files.

I have tried the same with a copy of my database on the windows machine, using 32 bit Minim Server 0.71, but get the same result. None of the variations in Folder creation that I have tried has led to any success. I assume I'm missing an essential step somewhere.

Do you have any further counsel to offer?
18-04-2013, 18:50
(18-04-2013 18:01)retraite Wrote:  Hi Simon

Thanks for all your work and your (extremely) prompt response. I am using a QNAP 459 with Minim 0.71. Computer operating system is, as you surmised, Windows (8).

I have tried the course you suggested, but am still coming up with the same problem. Minim can see the folder, but can't find any files.

I have tried the same with a copy of my database on the windows machine, using 32 bit Minim Server 0.71, but get the same result. None of the variations in Folder creation that I have tried has led to any success. I assume I'm missing an essential step somewhere.

Do you have any further counsel to offer?

Please post a short extract from the playlist you are using. Please also post your contentDir setting (available via MinimWatch > Properties).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "can see the folder, but can't find any files". Is this specifically a playlist issue? Do you see the playlist in the 'n playlists' index entry? If so, what happens when you open the playlist?
19-04-2013, 09:41
Hi Simon. Sorry to be a nuisance, but getting the playlist function to work would sever my last tie to Twonky and allow me to use Minimserver exclusively.

You asked for my contentdir

There are two lines. The first is “/share/Multimedia/MC1/Popular and Jazz” and the second is “/share/Multimedia/playlists”.

I have been trying to create a trial playlist, using a single album (Jacques Loussier) via Playlist Creator, using the settings you recommended under playlist details, but with no other changes. Once created an m3u file appears in the directory, Kinsky lists that playlist, but shows no files within it. It also adds one to the number of playlists in the directory.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to you request for the “short extract” from the playlist, not least because I've already deleted it. I can obviously recreate it, but do you want the files, the m3u file or just a listing?

I regret I belong to a generation that thinks that “digital” is the nature of one's grip of the wine glass while listening to Vinyl.

Thanks again for your patience.