Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver on Clear Linux
05-01-2020, 21:46
Minimserver on Clear Linux
Hello,

I have an Intel NUC running Clear Linux Server. Intalled MinimServer without difficulty except enable_autostart didn't work. Checking systemctl status showed polkit was not available. Installed polkit but autostart still not working, systemctl showed minimserver disabled. Edited

/usr/lib/systemd/system/minimserver.service

and changed the ExecStart line to:

ExecStart=/opt/minimserver/bin/startd

Now MinimServer runs at startup but I'm unsure if the changes I made have any consequences.

Hope this is useful, any constructive criticism gratefully received, and thanks for MinimServer, it is really very good.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2020, 22:19 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2020 22:38 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimserver on Clear Linux
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

What was in the ExecStart line before you changed it?

You should install MinimServer and run setup as a regular user (unless the only user on your system is root). If you do either of these as root and the other as a regular user, you can have problems with privilege settings.

You should enable autostart using setup and the "Enable automatic startup for MinimServer (y/n)?" prompt rather than calling enable_autostart directly.
05-01-2020, 22:45
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response, didn't expect that on a Sunday evening! Didn't keep a record of the line before I altered it (doh!) so I will recreate the problem, but I just realised the time so I will do it tomorrow and report back. I think the stanza included a 'sudo -c regularusername' but I will confirm. I installed as root rather than as a regular user, so that's where I went wrong. I did enable autostart using setup as described in the installation instructions, but again as root.

Thanks again!
06-01-2020, 09:29
OK, this makes sense now. I suggest you start again from scratch (uninstall everything) and do the installation again as a regular user. Everything should then work correctly.

I thought I had added this to the Linux installation instructions but I don't see it there. I will do this soon.
06-01-2020, 13:28
Re-created my faulty install, original form of the line I modified in minimsever was:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/su "regularusername" -c "/opt/minimserver/bin/startd init"

Re-installed minimserver as a regular user in a home directory and of course it works flawlessly. My mistake was assuming you had to install as root, since one usually uses sudo to install software under Linux.

Thanks once again for the assistance.
06-01-2020, 15:32
I understand why you (and others) would think that. I will add this to the installation instructions.