Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Radio
02-01-2020, 13:15
RE: Internet Radio
Please do not copy the contents of the file. To attach a file to a post, do the following:

1) Create a post reply by clicking New Reply
2) Find the Attachments section (just above the Post Reply button)
3) In the Attachments section, use the New Attachment: Browse button to browse to the file and select it. The name of the selected file will appear to the right of the New Attachment: Browse button.
4) In the Attachments section, click the Add Attachment button. The name of the attached file will appear below the New Attachment: Browse button.
5) Click the Post Reply button
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2020, 13:43
Thanks. File now attached

Attached File(s)
.txt  DeBug2.txt (Size: 35.16 KB / Downloads: 4)
02-01-2020, 14:59 (This post was last modified: 02-01-2020 15:16 by simoncn.)
Thanks for this. This log shows the problem:

visitFile file=C:\Users\jj-mj\OneDrive\Documents\BBC Radio\BBC Radio DASH.m3u.txt

You have named the file BBC Radio DASH.m3u.txt, not BBC Radio DASH.m3u. To see the correct filename in Windows Explorer, use the Folder Options dialog (View tab) to uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
02-01-2020, 18:04
Tried following your advice but I noted that when I manually removed the .txt from the file name the icon turned from a text file to groove music.

Upon restarting minimserver and booting my iPad, lo and behold a 1 playlist entry appeared (again with the groove music icon) and when I tried to play one of the readio stations I got a waiting message with the circular dial going round and round. When it finally stopped spinning I got another message saying there was a delay in streaming or an unsupported file format.

I have since tried creating the radio file again, still cannot do so without the .txt suffix and 1 playlist once again disappears...

I am really losing patience with my incompetence and lack of understanding and feel even more sorry for you but any further obvious errors you can see?
02-01-2020, 18:44
Are you located in the UK? The BBC DASH streams in the sample file are only available to UK users.

Have you installed MinimStreamer on your Windows PC? You will not be able to play the BBC stations without MinimStreamer installed.

When you save the file in Notepad, you should change the "Save as type" field from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files (*.*). This will prevent Notepad from adding the .txt suffix to the filename.

I think you are close now. Don't give up! This feedback from your experiences is very valuable to me and I will use it to improve the instructions which are not as clear as they should be.

If are in the UK and have installed MinimStreamer and the station isn't playing, please produce a debug log file by doing the following:

1) Select 'Show log' from the minim icon
2) Change the logging level to Debug
3) In the log window, click Clear
4) Leave the log window open
5) Try to play one of the BBC stations
6) When you get the error message about an unsupported file format (where are you seeing this message?), click the 'Save as' button in the log window to save a log file. Do this immediately without making any more attempts to play the stream.
7) Attach the log file to a post here

The log file should tell me what is causing the problem.
02-01-2020, 19:35
Thanks for persevering Simon,

I am in the UK and now that you have explained how to get rid of the txt suffix I am hopeful things might finally work out. If they don't then I will send another bebug log file as per your instructions.

Fingers crossed
02-01-2020, 22:07
Well it took a lot of more confused fiddling around but I am delighted to report that I have finally got Radio 1 & 2 playing successfully and so many thanks for all your help.

A couple of other points for your info, I do have minimstreamer on both minimservers (laptop and Melco). What I have discovered is that I can only launch minimwatch on my laptop by temporarily disabling my VPN and I can only get the two radio stations to play with the VPN disabled on my laptop.

Despite finally getting the BBC Radio DASH.m3u file to save minus the .txt suffix I was surprised to see that when I open the '1 playlist' entry on my iPad the radio stations still have the groove music icon...nevertheless they work so who cares.

From a bit of browsing around your website I note your plans to launch a paid version soon. Based on the uplift in sound quality I have got from the combined effect of turning Twonky off in my Melco, introducing the Matrix Audio converter to feed the I2s inputs on my PS Audio DAC coupled with some higher end USB and HDMI cables I will be delighted to purchase the paid version as soon as it is available for my particular Melco.

Many thanks again.
03-01-2020, 08:45
I'm very pleased this is working for you now.

When you have a VPN enabled, you are using a different IP address for internet connections. It sounds like this address is not a UK address, so you don't have access to the UK-only BBC streams. There are non-UK BBC streams that you can use instead but these have lower resolution than the UK streams.

When you have a VPN enabled, this creates another network adapter and it sounds like MinimWatch is choosing this adapter (it uses ohNet for this and ohNet unfortunately makes a random choice). You can override this random choice and use the correct adapter by setting the ohnet.subnet property in the MinimWatch properties. For more information about this, see this section. The last paragraph shows an example of how to find the correct subnet setting for your network.

This icons for the radio streams are produced by the control point you are using, not by MinimServer/MinimStreamer.
03-01-2020, 21:07
(02-01-2020 22:07)Oclem Wrote:  Despite finally getting the BBC Radio DASH.m3u file to save minus the .txt suffix I was surprised to see that when I open the '1 playlist' entry on my iPad the radio stations still have the groove music icon...nevertheless they work so who cares.

If interested, you may like to know that file types, e.g. .wav .m3u, can be associated with Software applications as a form of ‘shortcut’.
So, opening a file will invoke the associated software application. In contrast to starting a software application and opening a file within the application.
Clearly, on your pc, .m3u files are associated with Windows Groove application. However, the association is not exclusive and the files can be used with other software applications.

These file associations can be changed.
Click Change file associations for more information.
04-01-2020, 09:50
Thank you for taking the time to read of my struggles with trying to get to grips with making use of minimserver and associated packages. The additional information you provided a link to is certainly helpful in explaining why the groove music icon appears which has confused me.

The only (minor) issue I now have is the fact that in order to listen to either of the 3 radio stations in my 1 playlist, I have to have my laptop open and working in addition to my music system.