Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch and Melco
20-12-2019, 10:01
RE: Minimwatch and Melco
I attach the Melco via a USB cable to a dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Full stack system including Vivaldi DAC, SACD/CD Transport and Master Word Clock).

I have tried powering my MacBook Pro on and off, turning the firewall off, but the Minimwatch icon is still greyed out and not allowing rescan!

For good measure, I have tried downloading Minimwatch from your website onto another brand new Apple MacBook Pro, but when I go to install it, I get a pop-up message "JRELoadError"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2019, 12:38
Taking the easy one first, you need to install Java on your new Mac using the instructions in this section. The link here installs Java 8 (important).

After this, please follow the instructions in this section very carefully. Some of them are not intuitive but all are essential in order for the installation to succeed.

The issue with MinimWatch on your older Mac might be caused by the Mac firewall blocking inbound connections. To check this, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options. Is MinimWatch in the list of applications that can receive incoming connections? If not, it needs to be added.

This leaves the matter of silent playback from your DAC. I will not ask the obvious question of whether you might have accidentally pushed the Mute button on the front panel of your DAC but at the moment I cannot think of any other explanation, given that the display on your Melco is showing that the song is playing.

I have a dCS Rossini DAC attached by USB to my Melco N1Z. This has a front-panel display which changes when I play music to it. Do you have this on your DAC and does it provide any clues?
21-12-2019, 11:07
Java and Minimwatch successfully installed on my new MacBook Pro!

Minimwatch icon NOT greyed out now and turns to yellow allowing rescan!

Mac Firewall previously checked and allowing incoming connections from Java and Minimwatch (I had also considered the mute button on the dCS gear and checked and discarded that!).

Still experienced silent playback, so tried one last thing and rebooted the dCS Vivaldi Updampler (to which the Melco is attached via a USB cable).

Voila! We now have sound!

Thanks for your patience and help. I still don't know why Minimwatch doesn't work from my old MacBook Pro, but it's academic now!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Simon!
21-12-2019, 18:58
Glad to hear all is well now. Enjoy the music and have a very happy Christmas and New Year!