Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch stopped working immediately as scanning was completed
24-11-2019, 01:54 (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019 01:55 by echable.)
Minimwatch stopped working immediately as scanning was completed
I had Minimwatch in Windows open while scanning a folder located on a Synology NAS.

When "library scan was completed" then Minimwatch (or could it have come from somewhere else ?) gave a notification saying so, in the right-hand corner of the Windows screen.

So there is obviously contact between the Windows computer and Minimserver somehow, they can communicate.

But the Minimwatch icon stays grey meaning no Minimserver was found (insteading of turning green, which would indicate a functional connection) , and only the three bottom options on the right-click menu are available.

I have restarted Minimwatch several times. I don't want to restart Minimserver and/or the NAS again because it will just trigger another library scan that will take many hours.

The Minimserver shows up now as advertised on my network and Minimserver is playing back through Android BubbleUPnP app to Chromecast Audio currently.

But Minimwatch doesn't work and it has before.

Thank you for any help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2019, 03:12
RE: Minimwatch stopped working immediately as scanning was completed
Minimwatch connected now that I unplugged and replugged the home modem, router, NAS and computer, in that order, with 5min waiting in between replugging each item.

Any particularly beneficial settings in Minimwatch ? I'm insterested in liveVIewAlbums, but worried it will trigger a full rescan of library.

Do all settings work using Minimwatch for Windows with Minimserver installed on Synology NAS ? Are there any good tweaks or things to avoid?

Thank you for your help.
24-11-2019, 15:58
To be sure you don't get another full rescan of the library, check the MinimWatch property startupScan. This should be set to true (the default), not to full. With this setting, MinimServer reads file information from a cache (not from the file itself) unless the file has changed since it was last scanned.

If you have not added any music since the last scan, you can set startupScan to false to tell MinimServer to read all file information from the cache when it starts. This happens automatically when you do a restart from MinimWatch. See this section for more information about how these settings work.

If you change listViewAlbums, you need to restart MinimServer (not rescan) for this change to take effect. This takes a little time but much less time than a full rescan (see above).

All settings you can see in MinimWatch on Windows will work for MinimServer on Synology.
24-11-2019, 16:53
I reported too soon that it was working. The Minimwatch icon changes colour regularly, it stays green (green) for hours, then turns grey (no connnection) for hours, without me changing anything about it.

I seemed to remember there's something called "UPnP blast alive/keep alive" options in another UPnP program, where some command is sent to keep the server visible to other devices on the network.

I've read through all the settings last night, don't seem to remember anything like this in Minimserver.

Running it from a Synology NAS.

Does keeping Minimserver installed and/or keeping Minimwatch open prevent the NAS from going to sleep / HDDs to go to sleep ?

BTW I highly recommend BubbleUPnP Android app. It leads you connect to your home network UPnP servers from anywhere, e.g. on a 4G mobile phone connection, and play to any source (Chromecast, bluetooth).
24-11-2019, 17:31
Which Synology model is it? Different models have different implementations for sleeping.

Please try entering http://x.x.x.x:9790 into a web browser when the icon is grey. Do you see the MinimServer status page and does the icon change to green? If both of these happen, the issue is probably related to the NAS sleeping. If you see the page but the icon stays grey, it is probably a multicast discovery issue with your network (see this section).

MinimServer uses ohNet for UPnP communication. ohNet doesn't have any way to do a "UPnP blast/keep alive" as the ohNet developers think the resulting increased network traffic is harmful to the network and is not needed if the network is working correctly.
24-11-2019, 19:00
415PLAY Synology

Yes, http://x.x.x.x:9790 works, it says "Starting" while scanning and "Running" when completed IIRC. Entering that status page has no effect on whether Miminwatch is green or not.

It seems often it is green when I first boot up my Windows PC and launch Minimwatch, then it goes grey after a while. Some kind of "sleep-mode" perhaps?

I have since DSM updates turned on a lot of new power-saving features on my NAS, like auto-poweroff, hdd hibernation, WOL. None of these seem to interfere with the Minimwatch icon or with other servers, the NAS just wakes up whenever I do something that should e.g. show a specific server (E.g. if I go to "Library" tab in BubbleUPnP Android app, it scans the network and shows servers (as well as, optionally, making these servers available to you from anywhere, outside your home network, e.g from a remote mobile phone data connection, so you have all your DLNA servers available anywhere.
24-11-2019, 19:42
(24-11-2019 19:00)echable Wrote:  415PLAY Synology

Yes, http://x.x.x.x:9790 works, it says "Starting" while scanning and "Running" when completed IIRC. Entering that status page has no effect on whether Miminwatch is green or not.

Then, it seems, you have a course of action to take as per the following.

(24-11-2019 17:31)simoncn Wrote:  If you see the page but the icon stays grey, it is probably a multicast discovery issue with your network (see this section)
25-11-2019, 13:36
I would be interested to know whether the MinimWatch icon changes from grey to green if you select Refresh from the icon menu. This information would help narrow down what is happening.

Also, how are your MinimWatch PC and your Synology NAS connected to your network? For example, are they both connected by Ethernet cable to the same switch or router or is the PC connected by wireless? What make and model is your router?
08-12-2019, 18:25 (This post was last modified: 08-12-2019 18:27 by echable.)
Minimwatch is on WIN10 10, Minimserver is on Synology NAS.

Minimwatch used to stay grey, not it stays red.

I have checked through Synology's interface which subnet is on. When I enter this into Minimwatch, it says subnet not found.

Router is ASUS RT 87-U with Merlin firmware
08-12-2019, 22:07 (This post was last modified: 08-12-2019 22:08 by simoncn.)
What subnet value are you entering into MinimWatch?

Also, how are your MinimWatch PC and your Synology NAS connected to your network? For example, are they both connected by Ethernet cable to the same switch or router or is the PC connected by wireless?