Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to load Minimserver to WD My Cloud NAS
14-11-2019, 17:47 (This post was last modified: 14-11-2019 18:06 by Nitrous.)
How to load Minimserver to WD My Cloud NAS
Hello and sorry if this has been asked before. I've just bought a WD My Cloud 3TB and don't know which version of Minimserver to load on to it. In fact not sure how I do this at all if I'm honest!

I have Minimserver working on the mac but I want to have music without the main computer on all the time, so I was going to move or mirror the library to the NAS.

EDIT: I now have the WD as drive I can write to direct in finder.

As you can tell I'm a bit lost! All help appreciated.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2019, 18:52 (This post was last modified: 14-11-2019 18:53 by simoncn.)
RE: How to load Minimserver to WD My Cloud NAS
If you have the My Cloud Home, I don't think this is possible. The My Cloud Home does not support installing third-party apps. If you want to run MinimServer on a NAS, this is supported on all models from QNAP and Synology.
14-11-2019, 18:58
Simoncn, Thanks for reply. That's a bit disappointing. Guess I need a rethink!
21-11-2019, 21:24
(14-11-2019 18:58)Nitrous Wrote:  Simoncn, Thanks for reply. That's a bit disappointing. Guess I need a rethink!

There’s an old thread on here with some posts from me relating to the successful installation of Minimserver on a WD Mybook, by SSH access, but don’t know if the MyCloud has the same back door or a Minimserver build for your CPU.

If it is possible in theory, it will involve a bit of terminal window work.
22-11-2019, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 22-11-2019 13:36 by simoncn.)
I checked this before posting my reply. From what I could find on the web, the My Cloud Home does not provide SSH terminal access.

Edit: I found some more information about this on this page. This confirms that there is no SSH access for the My Cloud Home and also says that this device uses Android as its operating system. As MinimServer does not support Android, it would not be possible for MinimServer to run on this device.
22-11-2019, 19:07
(22-11-2019 12:25)simoncn Wrote:  I checked this before posting my reply. From what I could find on the web, the My Cloud Home does not provide SSH terminal access.

Edit: I found some more information about this on this page. This confirms that there is no SSH access for the My Cloud Home and also says that this device uses Android as its operating system. As MinimServer does not support Android, it would not be possible for MinimServer to run on this device.

Thanks for the extra background. I have lost touch with the WD hardware since moving over to Synology, have been very happy overall.