Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
folder view and track order
23-02-2015, 17:32
RE: folder view and track order
(23-02-2015 16:43)Nothung Wrote:  Simon
I thought it was probably a control point issue but what confuses me is that it doesn't happen consistently with some albums being displayed correctly in track order.

I am not sure what you mean by 'valid TRACKNUMBER tags' as apposed presumably to ones that aren't valid. Does validity relate to matching against a database or something else?

Many thanks

Valid TRACKNUMBER tags would be numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. It's also OK to have 1/12, 2/12, 3/12, etc. Perhaps the albums that display correctly have valid TRACKNUMBER tags.

Have you checked the MinimServer log for warning messages about invalid tags? Another possibility is that the albums that don't display correctly don't have TRACKNUMBER tags. You can check the tags with a tagging program such as Mp3tag.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2015, 18:01
I only use integer numbers. The MinimServer log reports only 5 albums with incorrect tags and I need to try to understand what is wrong with these albums.

Taking my opera files as an example.

The ones that always display correctly aren't proper albums in the sense that I have made them from radio broadcasts e.g. an opera recorded from R3 and split in into files for acts and numbered 1, 2, etc.

My opera cds have been converted to flac files using XLD but I haven't kept the cd structure because I want it to play from beginning to end without breaks as these cd breaks are artificial i.e. not necessarily corresponding to acts. So an opera on 3 cds with 30 tracks will be tagged from 1-30 with disc tag as 1. None of these display correctly unless I switch to Tag View.

I hope this makes sense.
23-02-2015, 18:06
(23-02-2015 18:01)Nothung Wrote:  I only use integer numbers. The MinimServer log reports only 5 albums with incorrect tags and I need to try to understand what is wrong with these albums.

Taking my opera files as an example.

The ones that always display correctly aren't proper albums in the sense that I have made them from radio broadcasts e.g. an opera recorded from R3 and split in into files for acts and numbered 1, 2, etc.

My opera cds have been converted to flac files using XLD but I haven't kept the cd structure because I want it to play from beginning to end without breaks as these cd breaks are artificial i.e. not necessarily corresponding to acts. So an opera on 3 cds with 30 tracks will be tagged from 1-30 with disc tag as 1. None of these display correctly unless I switch to Tag View.

I hope this makes sense.

This sounds like a control point issue. Can you try another control point such as Linn Kinsky?
23-02-2015, 18:08
(23-02-2015 18:01)Nothung Wrote:  My opera cds have been converted to flac files using XLD but I haven't kept the cd structure because I want it to play from beginning to end without breaks as these cd breaks are artificial i.e. not necessarily corresponding to acts. So an opera on 3 cds with 30 tracks will be tagged from 1-30 with disc tag as 1.

You may be interested to know that MinimServer can do this merging and renumbering for you automatically.
23-02-2015, 18:23
(23-02-2015 15:53)Nothung Wrote:  Sometimes it appears that the app starts to display the tracks in track order but then switches to alphabetical order.

This is further evidence that the problem is caused by the control point changing the sort order that MinimServer is sending. You are seeing the correct order for a brief moment before the control point stamps all over it. Sad
23-02-2015, 19:15
Simon

Yes it seems like the control point is the source of the problem but I still can't understand why some albums are treated properly. I don't want to start re-naming tracks by putting 01, 02 etc in the track name so I think I will grin and bear it.
I am very interested in the facility to do merging and renumbering automatically. I wonder if re-doing the merging and renumbering with MinimServer might resolve the control point issue, it is certainly worth a trial. I assume this is covered in the User Guide?
With regard to log errors in 4 albums what is reported is 'Warning: truncating incorrect value for DATE tag....' I don't know how to fix this as the date tags look alright to me.

Many thanks for all your help.
23-02-2015, 21:05
(23-02-2015 19:15)Nothung Wrote:  Simon

Yes it seems like the control point is the source of the problem but I still can't understand why some albums are treated properly.

I think you have probably tagged these albums differently from the albums that get resorted. Perhaps one case has an Album tag and the other case doesn't, or perhaps there is a difference in the TRACKNUMBER tagging, or perhaps there is a difference in how the filenames are constructed.

Quote: I don't want to start re-naming tracks by putting 01, 02 etc in the track name so I think I will grin and bear it.

This is clearly a bug in the control point and I would suggest that you report it to the control point developers.

Quote:I am very interested in the facility to do merging and renumbering automatically. I wonder if re-doing the merging and renumbering with MinimServer might resolve the control point issue, it is certainly worth a trial. I assume this is covered in the User Guide?

It is covered in this section. It will save you some time and trouble but it won't make any difference to how the control point sorts the track order.

Quote:With regard to log errors in 4 albums what is reported is 'Warning: truncating incorrect value for DATE tag....' I don't know how to fix this as the date tags look alright to me.

If these date values are in the format yyyy-mm, this bug will be fixed in the next MinimServer update. If not, please post some examples of the date values.

Quote:Many thanks for all your help.

You're welcome!
23-02-2015, 22:15
(23-02-2015 21:05)simoncn Wrote:  If these date values are in the format yyyy-mm, this bug will be fixed in the next MinimServer update.

This fix is now available in update 59.
24-02-2015, 00:06
Simon

Thank you for your detailed reply.
Yes it does seem to be down to the control point but I can't identify any differences in my tagging for those that work and those that don't. I will explore it a bit deeper and contact the control point developers about this issue.
Regarding the point about log errors, I googled the albums concerned and found that the release dates for the albums were different to the ones I had tagged. In a couple of cases I had put in the original LP recording date rather than the CD release. When I changed the dates the log showed no errors, so is it the case that MinimServer is querying a database like Musicbrainz and reporting an error if there is a mismatch? It seems to ignore other situations where no database is available to query like an audiobook, but it did report an error for one audiobook I compiled from R4x where I had failed to put anything in the year tag, when I put 2014 in it didn't report an error so it looks like it didn't like the field being empty.
I am grateful for your help.
24-02-2015, 08:57
Simon
On checking further my Panasonic TV displays all albums in track order in folder view and my NP30 also shows the correct track list order when I use the remote. This confirms that it is the control point that is at fault though I can't account for its inconsistent behaviour.
I will post a ticket to the Stream Magic app developers.

Many thanks.