Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convolution and Gapless Playback
23-09-2019, 23:52 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2019 23:58 by Snoopy08.)
Convolution and Gapless Playback
Using convolution running on Intel NUC i5 8th Gen with the following parameters:

stream.converter: ffmpeg (v4.1.3)
stream.options: convOut=-i /media/music/pa/convolve/L12*.wav -lavfi afir=gtype=gn
stream.transcode: flac:wav;,wav:wav24;

When playing Dark Side of the Moon (flac 16/44, wav 24/192) with BubbleUPnP, gapless works well without convolution. However, when I enable convolution, there is a pause. Is there a way to remove/reduce this pause?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2019, 09:48
RE: Convolution and Gapless Playback
You can change

-lavfi afir=gtype=gn

to

-lavfi "apad=pad_len=32768,afir=gtype=gn,atrim=start_sample=32768"

This should improve things but there might still be a small click.
24-09-2019, 11:32
Thank you. That definitely improved things; small click and much smaller pause is better than the long pause.

Out of curiosity, where can I find documentation on ffmpeg, lavfi etc. It seems like a dark art and a Google search turns up cryptic information and examples, much of it on video.
24-09-2019, 12:06
(24-09-2019 11:32)Snoopy08 Wrote:  Thank you. That definitely improved things; small click and much smaller pause is better than the long pause.

Out of curiosity, where can I find documentation on ffmpeg, lavfi etc. It seems like a dark art and a Google search turns up cryptic information and examples, much of it on video.

There is this Comprehensive documentation but clearly not the easiest to navigate.
Of course, ffmpeg is no mere simple tool and has enormous capabilities.

Nb - afir and apad summaries can be found in the Components Documentation section under the Filters sub section.
24-09-2019, 12:38
(24-09-2019 12:06)Alandbush Wrote:  There is this Comprehensive documentation but clearly not the easiest to navigate.
Thank you and for the hints on afir and apad. For a beginner, it is a nightmare to find anything and even if I find something, have difficulty learning how to use it.

(24-09-2019 12:06)Alandbush Wrote:  Of course, ffmpeg is no mere simple tool and has enormous capabilities.
That is indeed the problem, not simple with enormous capabilities. In my case, how do I go about searching for additional tweaks to help with my issue?

OR is it something that should be best left to the experts and I should post for help?