Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sort by Album Artist
22-09-2019, 01:32
Sort by Album Artist
I tend to always include Album Artist so that I can tag albums such as soundtracks or compilations with multiple artists as Various Artists and but still list each track artist under Artist.
This falls down however where I can only sort by artist as way too many artists appear.
Is it possible to configure Minimserver to list by Album Artist? And if so how?
I'm using Minim Server in QNAP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2019, 01:43
RE: Sort by Album Artist
Oh. I've just noticed that 'Artists' is only showing my 'Album Artist's and 'All Artist's is showing every Artist..
That's exactly what I want. But how does this happen?
22-09-2019, 05:20
(22-09-2019 01:32)dav1129 Wrote:  Is it possible to configure Minimserver to list by Album Artist? And if so how?
You can add AlbumArtist to the Index Tags; use Minimwatch (install on PC), Properties, Server tab.

(22-09-2019 01:43)dav1129 Wrote:  Oh. I've just noticed that 'Artists' is only showing my 'Album Artist's and 'All Artist's is showing every Artist..
Look at the Advanced tab, tagCustom, it is defaulted to AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}
22-09-2019, 09:04
(22-09-2019 01:43)dav1129 Wrote:  Oh. I've just noticed that 'Artists' is only showing my 'Album Artist's and 'All Artist's is showing every Artist..

MinimServer treats the Artist index specially. If a file is part of an album that has an AlbumArtist tag, this tag value is shown as the Artist index value for the file. For other files, the value of the Artist tag is shown as the Artist index value.

The All Artists index just shows Artist tags.

If you add an AlbumArtist index as described by Snoopy08, this will just show AlbumArtist tags.

(22-09-2019 05:20)Snoopy08 Wrote:  Look at the Advanced tab, tagCustom, it is defaulted to AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}

This setting is not related to which tags are shown in which indexes. It can be used to customize the XML sent by MinimServer to the control point and is only relevant for a small number of nonstandard control points.
26-09-2019, 08:17
(22-09-2019 05:20)Snoopy08 Wrote:  
(22-09-2019 01:32)dav1129 Wrote:  Is it possible to configure Minimserver to list by Album Artist? And if so how?
You can add AlbumArtist to the Index Tags; use Minimwatch (install on PC), Properties, Server tab.

Look at the Advanced tab, tagCustom, it is defaulted to AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}

Ah I am not sure I am advanced enough to understand this. I tried installing MinimWatch on my Windows 10 notebook but it won't run. And would there be any point if I have MinimServer running on my QNAP NAS? If there is, But I am willing to invest the time and effort....

Another issue I have discovered since using BubbleUPnP is that I cannot sort albums by year as while tagged, most albums are date unknown. Except it would seem FLAC and MPA files? How can I configure Minim Server to see and sort by year?
26-09-2019, 10:15
If the Artist index is already showing what you want, there is no need to change any settings using MinimWatch.

However, it is useful to have MinimWatch running for various reasons. In order to run MinimWatch on Windows, you need to have Java installed on your Windows machine. See this section for details of how to do this. If you are still having problems running MinimServer after you have installed Java, please post the details here.

If some albums are shown in the [unknown] section of the Date index, this means they either do not have a Date tag or there is some problem with the Date tag that means the tag value cannot be read by MinimServer. If you look at the minimserver.log file in the Public share of your QNAP NAS, are there any warning messages referring to Date tags?
26-09-2019, 23:07
(26-09-2019 10:15)simoncn Wrote:  If the Artist index is already showing what you want, there is no need to change any settings using MinimWatch.

However, it is useful to have MinimWatch running for various reasons. In order to run MinimWatch on Windows, you need to have Java installed on your Windows machine. See this section for details of how to do this. If you are still having problems running MinimServer after you have installed Java, please post the details here.

If some albums are shown in the [unknown] section of the Date index, this means they either do not have a Date tag or there is some problem with the Date tag that means the tag value cannot be read by MinimServer. If you look at the minimserver.log file in the Public share of your QNAP NAS, are there any warning messages referring to Date tags?

Hi Simon. I now have Minimum Watch running on my Windows 10 system. And yes some album year are being displayed but the majority as you say as Unknown. I can't see any reference to dates in the log. I will try to attach.

Attached File(s)
.log  minimserver.log (Size: 4.63 KB / Downloads: 2)
26-09-2019, 23:10
I use Helium Music Manager for tagging and notice I think that if I use it to edit the years the album year disappears and it is then unknown after rescanning and starting the server..... could it be Helium. Should I try a different tagger?
27-09-2019, 00:16
I have tried random other taggers and it would seem that there is something about the way Helium Music Manager which is a very advanced tagger, tags which then causes the tracks and album to show as year unknown, while they in fact, have both release and record years. I tried having only one or the other and it makes now difference.
27-09-2019, 00:59
Seems Minim Server is using a field or tag which I am not seeing or cannot select in Helium. Only Record Year, Release Year and Original Year. But BubbleUPnP when rendering from Minim Server. still does not see or read the year if I enter a value in either or all of those values.
If I cannot find the required field, could a possible solution be to 'map' an existing field to required field? If so i'm not sure how to do it........