Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The control app thread
02-10-2021, 08:10
RE: The control app thread
(02-10-2021 02:45)aka_tiggers Wrote:  I'm a bit lost as to next steps as streaming is new to me (well other than consumer stiff like Spotify on phones).
Hi Mark. Welcome to upnp. You have all the hardware needed to start experimenting with upnp. If you install BubbleUPnP Server you can make your chromecast appear as a upnp renderer, emulating OpenHome as well. You can then use any upnp control point, or many at once. You can try Upplay and Kazoo in addition to the BubbleUPnP already mentioned.

The DAC performance of the chromecast may not qualify as audiophile and you will be dependent on WiFi stability, but otherwise you should have a functioning upnp setup. Oh, and the chromecast doesn't support gapless.

Enjoy.
Marmite.

Server :: RaspberryPi3B+>Minimserver 2
Control : Android>BubbleUPnP / W10>Upplay / W10>Kazoo / iPhone>Kazoo
Renderer: BubbleUPnP Server>Cambridge Audio CXN V2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2021, 08:46
(02-10-2021 08:10)MarmiteSandwich Wrote:  
(02-10-2021 02:45)aka_tiggers Wrote:  I'm a bit lost as to next steps as streaming is new to me (well other than consumer stiff like Spotify on phones).
... the chromecast may not qualify as audiophile and you will be dependent on WiFi stability, but otherwise you should have a functioning upnp setup. Oh, and the chromecast doesn't support gapless.

Enjoy.
Marmite.
Thanks so much - I'm going to try all of those! Would the Yamaha Musiccast WXAD-10 be worthwhile upgrade from the Chromecast?
Much appreciated :-)
02-10-2021, 11:05
(02-10-2021 08:46)aka_tiggers Wrote:  Would the Yamaha Musiccast WXAD-10 be worthwhile upgrade from the Chromecast?
Much appreciated :-)

I have no personal experience of this device, although I have read good reports of it. I notice that it doesn't seem to support digital output, which you might want one day if you become dissatisfied with the inbuilt DAC. Would appear to be a distinct upgrade from a chromecast. Another possibility?
Marmite.

02-10-2021, 11:51 (This post was last modified: 02-10-2021 15:00 by Peter StreamMagic.)
Another possibility?
Marmite.

Things might have changed, but I once have tried a Bluesound product.
It uses it own app and server, it was not a UPnP based product and unable to use MinimSever, Asset or any other server program.

Peter.
02-10-2021, 12:38
(02-10-2021 11:51)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Thing might have changed, but I once have tried a Bluesound product.
It uses it own app and server, it was not a UPnP based product and unable to use MinimSever, Asset or any other server program.

Good point. I guess I just assumed it was upnp. In that case avoid!

08-10-2021, 18:42
I notice that Lumin has been doing quite a lot of updating in recent weeks, mainly little things presumably to be in step with OS updates.

Also the Lumin children, Esoteric and HR Streamer have also received a polish.

Today Lumin have added something useful for Qobuz subscribers. Version 7.0.9. It is now possible to read the album pdf booklet (where they exist - by no means all albums have them it seems). Nevertheless by long-pressing on the album image in question the opportunity to read the pdf booklet presents itself. This only applies to the album store - i.e. the right hand side of the iPad screen. Albums already in the play list do not respond in this way.

But it is a great new facility. Especially when exploring new or unknown stuff on Qobuz.

Well done Lumin. Still free. Still my favourite.

Donuk beautiful downtown York where it is amazingly warm at the moment ~ I have just been forced to sit outside my local for a couple of pints......
09-10-2021, 13:22
''It is now possible to read the album pdf booklet (where they exist - by no means all albums have them it seems). Nevertheless by long-pressing on the album image in question the opportunity to read the pdf booklet presents itself. This only applies to the album store - i.e. the right hand side of the iPad screen. Albums already in the play list do not respond in this way.

But it is a great new facility. Especially when exploring new or unknown stuff on Qobuz."

I have tried this and like it!
It would be nice if I could do the same with PDF booklets stored on the NAS.
Is there a way to achieve this?

Lumin is not always responsive in my case, therefore I prefer Kazoo which is more stable (at least at this moment).

Peter
09-10-2021, 14:16
There is a way to do this with MinimServer but it currently only works with the BubbleUPnP control point. See this section and this section.
09-10-2021, 15:43
Hi Peter

I find that Lumin is 100% responsive on my iPad if I close it down when I finish using it. (or closing it down on opening the iPad if I forget).
That is I close the app each time by double pressing the button at the bottom of the iPad and then swiping the smaller app image from the screen.
Than open it afresh from the icon.
A fuss to do this every time, but my system finds the app quickly every time after opening.

I find that all control apps behave much the same.

Donuk
09-10-2021, 16:28
(09-10-2021 15:43)Donuk Wrote:  Hi Peter

I find that Lumin is 100% responsive on my iPad if I close it down when I finish using it. (or closing it down on opening the iPad if I forget).
That is I close the app each time by double pressing the button at the bottom of the iPad and then swiping the smaller app image from the screen.
Than open it afresh from the icon.
A fuss to do this every time, but my system finds the app quickly every time after opening.

I find that all control apps behave much the same.

Donuk

You are right, Lumin connects every time after a close down (it is a bit slow though), but I don't think it is supposed to work this way.
It should stay connected as long as the user wants it to be connected.
I can use Kazoo for days without closing down, it simply works when I grab my iPad.
The features Lumin provides are fantastic though ,I specially like the way you can enlarge artwork!
I am not very fond of the way Lumin automatically adds pictures to e.g. folders, genres ... I prefer my own artwork, or if not present, nothing.

Regards, Peter