Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The control app thread
07-05-2021, 12:59
RE: The control app thread
(06-05-2021 16:18)MarmiteSandwich Wrote:  
(06-05-2021 09:04)simbun Wrote:  You're correct in that it adds another step to the browse hierarchy, but how does Upplay do it, I guess you just type the letter you want, so still one further input :-)
That's right, but it's already there in Upplay!

(06-05-2021 09:04)simbun Wrote:  With regard "which involves more selections than I would like", can you give us an example of a regular drill hierarchy? Between listViewAlbums, automatic selections and the tagUpdate functionality it's possible you'd be able to trim these steps down, particularly if they're the same index selections you perform regularly.

I did ask this question some time ago, and Simon said it wasn't possible to configure MS to do what I wanted, which is a browse hierarchy like this:
Select Genre->List of artists
Select Artists->List of albums
Select album and enqueue.

Would be happy to try out a config which might provide this, but I think it probably conflicts with the design criteria of MS, which is to allow choice of browse direction at each step. I do sometimes use weird browse paths like Genre->Artist->Comment, so it isn't really a deal breaker. I like MinimServer enough to pay for 3 installs, and still feel happy.

BTW I checked the Upplay website and discovered I am way behind on the upgrades, so the current version may be better than I have suggested. I see something about album art display, for instance.

marmite

I've not re-read all the previous posts in this thread but are you aware you can do precisely what you want with the BubbleUPnP control point? This is generic (i.e. works with most hardware) but is only available for Android devices. I've used your preferred search steps many times with this control app.
I've now switched to the Mosaic control app which is specific to dCS gear. It also allows the search you require and is available for iOS and Android.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2021, 21:35
(07-05-2021 12:59)DavidL Wrote:  are you aware you can do precisely what you want with the BubbleUPnP control point?
I have been using BubbleUPnP for years, as my control point of choice for an Android device, and I have never seen any way in which you can change the library browse hierarchy, which, AIUI, is determined by the server. When using Bubble and Minimserver, after selecting Genre, the next choice (1) is from a list of genres. When I choose one genre, the next choice (2) is a list of x albums, x items, Artist, All Artists, Comment. AFAIK, there is nowhere in BubbleUPnP where I can change choice (2) to be a list of artists, which is contrary to the design criteria for MinimServer. Can you elaborate on how to do this?

I have never understood what the browse hierarchy method 1 and 2 represents because selecting these seems to have no effect, and I have never seen any help text for these options.

Yours skeptically,
Marmite

Server :: RaspberryPi3B+>Minimserver 2
Control : Android>BubbleUPnP / W10>Upplay / W10>Kazoo / iPhone>Kazoo
Renderer: BubbleUPnP Server>Cambridge Audio CXN V2
11-05-2021, 11:23
OK I can see what you driving at. What you request would save 1 click in getting to the artist of your choice. I've been using the current setup for years (same for Bubble UPnP and Mosaic control apps), normally Genre > Albums, only rarely Genre > Artist > Album. It would be interesting to know whether others see this as a limitation.

Happy listening!

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
02-06-2021, 09:07
Hello,

I fear I'm covering old ground, but I'm finding that the LUMIN app is crashing so frequently now, I restart it even before opening it! I've found it's never been the most stable, but has now become irritating. Would anyone have similar problems and know what the problem is? I contacted LUMIN, but they only could advise what I've already done - latest iOS and reinstall. My wi-fi signal is strong, and I have MinimSever running on a Synology NAS.

Also, is it just my imagination, but was the LUMIN app previously available for Mac OS Intel? If so, it's now only available for M1 machines.

Thanks,

Paul
02-06-2021, 09:37
Lumïn app has never been available for Intel Mac OS X, it is now available for Mac Silicon M1 due to its compatibility with iOS /iPadOS apps.
On my experience crashes occur only when you restart the app and the previous selected renderer is not available anymore on the network … I’m using it on iPad and iPhone.
02-06-2021, 19:43
Ah! That would explain why I never had it installed on my Mac.

The renderer always appears as available on the network. There appears to be others with similar problems when others have none. Maybe the problem is caused by peripheral equipment/software... ? I'm using the app on iPhone.
03-09-2021, 07:57
The latest update of Lumin has an interesting feature that might interest some tablet users.
It is now possible to configure the app so that it presents as it does on a smartphone. That is, it has three screens open at the same time. You can slide from one to the other.

The Search dialogue is a bit small though on Qobuz.

Donuk beautiful downtown York
03-09-2021, 08:36 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2021 08:40 by stefano_mbp.)
… and for the iPhone version you can now set the now playing panel to be displayed, on your choice, at the top or at the bottom.
02-10-2021, 02:45
RE: The control app thread - rookie advice please!
Hi folks, I have just installed minimserver on two servers (Synology and Windows) to try it out. I'm a bit lost as to next steps as streaming is new to me (well other than consumer stiff like Spotify on phones). I have a reasonable hifi setup (Rotel amp and Elac Debut speakers), but the only streaming device currently plugged in there is an old Chromecast audio. I am willing to consider other streaming devices, but I don't have a huge budget so have been looking at things like the Yamaha Mediacast. I want to stream my flac collection to the system. I've got a bunch of other devices (iOS, Windows, Apple TV etc) and my home network is great - I'm hoping to go all wired for this, not wireless. I'm an IT professional so the network/computing side is fine, but pretty much no clue on high quality streaming. Thanks for any advice!
- Mark aka Tiggers
02-10-2021, 06:34 (This post was last modified: 02-10-2021 06:36 by Mike48.)
RE: Rookie advice
Hi aka_tiggers

In general terms,

MinimServer should be installed on the computer where the flac files are stored, or on a computer than can access them. The computer and MinimServer must be running when you want to stream to your Chromecast. That's probably obvious.

Besides the server, you need a renderer (your Chromecast) and a control point app running on something -- usually a tablet or phone. Many of us use BubbleUPnP, an Android app that works well with MinimServer and also works with Chromecast. There also are control points for IOS, but I don't know anything about them.

All three components (server, control point, renderer) must be on the same part (subnet) of your home network.

Extensive help pages for MinimServer are online, with the Quick Start here.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA