Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The control app thread
31-07-2019, 10:49 (This post was last modified: 31-07-2019 10:52 by Donuk.)
The control app thread
Following up on a suggestion from a previous thread it might be an idea for us to have a thread listing the various control software that is about with some comments and opinions. So I will kick off.

I take for granted that all views are personal, none are right or wrong, and more importantly - in my experience - their usefulness very much depends upon what else you have in the system.

The most critical aspect seems to be the network and wifi itself. I constantly struggled with my own until I got it more or less fine. I now have - a Virgin superhub (in modem mode) into a Netgear router into a Netgear switch. So I get my wifi from my router in 5G. I have researched and found that superhubs (and similar from other suppliers) are notoriously unreliable when feeding hifi systems. I have a Melco, Minimserver, Linn streamer and an iPad.

So those control apps I have tried recently are (in no particular order):

Lumin - probably my favourite. Fast in searches, expandable graphics, but needs its own database updating when adding new music. Latterly has been unreliable in finding the streamer. Supports Tidal and Qobuz well.

Teac - copy of Lumin, older issue.

Esoteric - copy of Lumin, seems more reliable, colour a bit of a watery grey.

Linn Kinsky. An old favourite. Reliable. Still the best Linn offering IMHO.

Linn Kazoo The current Linn preferred software. I have never really got on with it. Keeps evolving.

Linn unnamed white software available in Testflight as a beta. Searches on hard disk and Qobuz simultaneously. Seems to have bugs. Last version will not "find room". Has a way to go.

Fidata - fun but buggy. Playlist keeps disappearing. No Qobuz although will play playlists made up elsewhere which include Qobuz items.

Audionet - crashes on opening nowadays.

All the above are available on my iPad. I do not know about availablility on other platforms (Kazoo is generally available for example).

Donuk beautiful downtown York.
PS how they each display metadata via Minimserver could well be a useful topic to explore. Sometimes Composer comes up in place of Artist and vici versa...... Again Lumin does it right for me, but I am willing to learn!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2019, 12:02
RE: The control app thread
Thanks, Don, for starting this discussion.

BubbleUPnP is an excellent control point. It only runs on Android but it is so good that it would be worth buying a cheap Android device to run it if you don't have one already. It is fast, reliable and supports all MinimServer capabilities and much else besides. The author is very responsive and helpful with solving problems and responding to queries.
01-08-2019, 04:05
+1 for BubbleUPnP. Heart

I tested a few other media players but most of them had UPnP as an add-on. BubbleUPnP does UPnP well and includes settings & tweaks for both the libraries and renderers. Most heartening, Simon can get in touch with the developer to solve problems together. All too often, there is finger pointing with other apps.
01-08-2019, 10:02
I forgot to add to my OP that I have never heard any difference in sound whatever control point I use.
I do not understand how a control point might vary the sound, but I am willing to learn....

If you have a different experience, do let us know.

Donuk beautiful downtown York, although it was raining earlier.......
01-08-2019, 11:38
(31-07-2019 10:49)Donuk Wrote:  Fidata - fun but buggy. Playlist keeps disappearing. No Qobuz although will play playlists made up elsewhere which include Qobuz items.

You have mentioned this more than a couple of times so I’d like to provide some balance by reporting that I have had no issues in this regard.

In fact, it is the stability of this process that lead me to suggest the app as an alternative to Lumin. An alternative only in respect to browsing and managing the playlist, as you rightly point out it lacks Qobuz etc.

Is this another case of differing networks producing different experiences?

Back on topic, I’d like to mention a couple I use now and again. Both are free but neither recognise the Open Home protocol.

Glider - no Qobuz etc. Can utilise MinimServer structure but also has its own indexing structure. Has ability to randomly play tracks. Can display lyrics via a link to genius.com. Larger album art work. However, no longer in development judged by its own forum activity.

MConnect lite - portrait mode only. Qobuz etc is a yes.
01-08-2019, 11:46
Hi-Fi Cast for Android is outstanding.
01-08-2019, 11:49 (This post was last modified: 01-08-2019 12:01 by simoncn.)
Hi-Fi Cast (Android only) is good and I would use myself if it were to add support for OpenHome.

Edit: Looks like our posts crossed!
01-08-2019, 14:13
(31-07-2019 12:02)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks, Don, for starting this discussion.

BubbleUPnP is an excellent control point. It only runs on Android but it is so good that it would be worth buying a cheap Android device to run it if you don't have one already. It is fast, reliable and supports all MinimServer capabilities and much else besides. The author is very responsive and helpful with solving problems and responding to queries.
I am interested in Bubble DS (Next?) as Kazoo won't run on my Android phone, but I've searched the web and can't find it any more, so can you help?

Thanks...TomP
01-08-2019, 15:24
Type Bubble DS Next into Google and click on the first result.
01-08-2019, 19:34
(01-08-2019 15:24)simoncn Wrote:  Type Bubble DS Next into Google and click on the first result.
Bobble DS Next does not appear in Google Play, just the old Bubble DS with adverts