Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inconsistency in tagFormat when using Lumin App
26-07-2019, 15:00
Inconsistency in tagFormat when using Lumin App
I have tried to get information on the Lumin forum about this inconsistency.

The response I got from Peter was "Lumin app does not care about tagFormat, i.e. not supported. As for the inconsistency, that needs to be looked at later. On app development we've been busy with complying 64-bit Android requirements from Google"

I thought that I would try here. I can change the tagFormat properties and see the change it produces in Lumin app, even though it is not supported by them.

These are my property settings:

The problem I am having is seen here:

I am requesting that someone look at my property settings and confirm that the inconsistency shown in Lumin App is not caused by something I am doing wrong in Properties or should be doing in Properties.

Thanks in advanced for any insight you can give me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2019, 15:20 (This post was last modified: 26-07-2019 15:21 by simoncn.)
RE: Inconsistency in tagFormat when using Lumin App
Your property settings are sending all Artist and AlbumArtist information to the LUMIN app in the order albumartist,conductor,orchestra. From your screenshot, it looks like the LUMIN app uses this information "as is" in some places and reformats it in other places.
27-07-2019, 01:25
(26-07-2019 15:20)simoncn Wrote:  Your property settings are sending all Artist and AlbumArtist information to the LUMIN app in the order albumartist,conductor,orchestra. From your screenshot, it looks like the LUMIN app uses this information "as is" in some places and reformats it in other places.

@simoncn
Yes, the order of albumartist, conductor, orchestra is what I want.

I was very pleased with myself when I figured out the correct property setting. Thank you for the excellent documentation that you provide.

Then I noticed that the reformatting was taking place and began thinking that I might be doing something to cause that.

So, it's nothing I've done. Good.

I've reported this inconsistency to Lumin. Hopefully they feel motivated to look into it.

What I don't understand is why Lumin doesn't embrace the features built into Minimserver properties; let the end user format the Lumin App display to their personal preferences.

Why have the attitude, "Lumin app does not care about tagFormat, i.e. not supported" at the same time that you are encouraging users to use Minimserver. Makes no sense to me.

Personal rant over. Thanks for your help.
27-07-2019, 12:53 (This post was last modified: 27-07-2019 12:53 by Alandbush.)
(27-07-2019 01:25)rodrigaj Wrote:  Why have the attitude, "Lumin app does not care about tagFormat, i.e. not supported" at the same time that you are encouraging users to use Minimserver. Makes no sense to me.

Personal rant over. Thanks for your help.

I sense your frustration but wonder if that is simply a misunderstanding.

Hopefully, @simoncn will correct any of the following as appropriate.

The Lumin app does not care about MinimServer features because it does not ‘see’ them. It does however ‘see’ the results of the features.
In other words, and in your eg., the Lumin app displays the contents of the Artist metadata provided by MinimServer unaware how that metadata is formed. The Lumin app does therefore support this feature.

Btw - I was intrigued by your issue description and performed some tests of my own, using the iOS version, but unfortunately could not produce the inconsistency . All three sections displayed the same order of tag data, despite numerous attempts to break it.
27-07-2019, 13:19 (This post was last modified: 27-07-2019 13:21 by simoncn.)
Is it possible that the LUMIN app is (in some contexts) recognising a comma-separated artist string and parsing it into separate artist names, then recombining these names in alphabetical order rather than the original order that was received from the server?

This could be tested by changing the tagFormat property to:

AlbumArtist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^-}, Artist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^-}

This separates the names by dashes instead of commas.

If this solves the problem, some other character could be used in place of the dash.
27-07-2019, 15:11
(27-07-2019 13:19)simoncn Wrote:  Is it possible that the LUMIN app is (in some contexts) recognising a comma-separated artist string and parsing it into separate artist names, then recombining these names in alphabetical order rather than the original order that was received from the server?

This could be tested by changing the tagFormat property to:

AlbumArtist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^-}, Artist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^-}

This separates the names by dashes instead of commas.

If this solves the problem, some other character could be used in place of the dash.

Yes the addition of the separator fixed the inconsistency. The comma-separated default on the "Now Playing" section of the Lumin App was doing the recombination just as you describe, in alphabetical order. That recombination was not being done in the "Playlist" or in the "Browse" sections.

Simon: Thank you for taking the trouble to help me. I do appreciate it.
27-07-2019, 16:01
You are most welcome. I remembered a discusssion from long ago about the LUMIN app doing this parsing. This caused problems with names containing commas (such as lastName, firstName). I didn't know until now that it could also cause names to be reordered.
27-07-2019, 16:32
LOL. I remember coming across that discussion when I was trying to troubleshoot this inconsistency. I should have paid more attention to it :-)
27-07-2019, 18:56
Happy to know that the issue has been resolved satisfactorily for the OP.

Not wanting to prolong the discussion longer than necessary, but I wanted to understand why my earlier investigation had failed to recreate the issue.

It has been an exasperating fruitless exercise. Huh

I was able to create the issue with one set of AlbumArtist, Conductor and Orchestra tag values but with different values everything was OK. It does not simply appear to be the comma separated values being reordered alphabetically.

Anyhow, during that investigation, I tried other separators. If a non comma separating list does not look quite right, you may like to know that a comma, in isolation without the trailing space, also resolves the issue. The Lumin app interprets the string as one 'artist'.

AlbumArtist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^,}, Artist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^,}

Also, having the space before the comma prevents the issue.

AlbumArtist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^ ,}, Artist.displayFormat={$albumartist$conductor$orchestra^^^ ,}
27-07-2019, 20:32
Thanks for these insights. I would not have guessed that the presence or absence or positioning of a space would be significant.