Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation package for the current ReadyNAS series
08-07-2019, 15:56
Installation package for the current ReadyNAS series
Hello,

The online manual indicates that there isn't an installation package for the current ReadyNAS series (models 102, 104, 212, 214, 312, 314, 316, 422, 424, 426, 428, 516, 524, 526, 528, 626, 628 and 716).

I have ReadyNAS Pro 4 running minimum server, but have run out of storage and need to upgrade to a higher capacity NAS. I would like to replace the ReadyNAS Pro 4 with the ReadyNAS 314. Is there an installation package being developed for this? If so, do you know when it might be available.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2019, 21:22
RE: Installation package for the current ReadyNAS series
I have no plans to develop a MinimServer installation package for the ReadyNAS 314. This is because of some technical decisions that were taken by NETGEAR when the newer model range was introduced. See this post for more information.
08-07-2019, 22:02
I guess I should have searched for this topic. It is too bad that NETGEAR is not being more supportive and I understand why you need to limit your investment in supporting their products. Looks like I will need to shop elsewhere. Too bad because they replaced a NAS that failed and I really wanted to support them. Thanks for getting back to me.
12-07-2019, 19:55
Synology builds some great NAS!
27-10-2019, 17:24
(08-07-2019 21:22)simoncn Wrote:  I have no plans to develop a MinimServer installation package for the ReadyNAS 314. This is because of some technical decisions that were taken by NETGEAR when the newer model range was introduced. See this post for more information.

I feel it is a pity that there isn't a installation package for the current ReadyNAS'es available.

Mind you, I can relate to Simon and the fact that he has put a lot of effort into developing a server package for the previous ReadyNAS series. I can surely see that it would be a pain to have to do that all again for the current series.

But, having said that, I really feel that the current ReadyNAS-es are excellent NAS-es and they represent a significant part of the NAS-market. Too bad that there isn't a possibility to install Minimserver on my ReadyNAS 314 - I do not want to buy another NAS from another brand, just to be able to run Minimserver on it...

Willem
28-10-2019, 14:04
(27-10-2019 17:24)whgmkeller Wrote:  I can relate to Simon and the fact that he has put a lot of effort into developing a server package for the previous ReadyNAS series. I can surely see that it would be a pain to have to do that all again for the current series.

It's worse than that. Having put in the investment in time and effort, Simon could easily find that Netgear introduce new, incompatible models without notice; it has happened before. With the range of platforms Simon already supports, investment in the Netgear range clearly does not make sense for him.

(27-10-2019 17:24)whgmkeller Wrote:  But, having said that, I really feel that the current ReadyNAS-es are excellent NAS-es and they represent a significant part of the NAS-market. Too bad that there isn't a possibility to install Minimserver on my ReadyNAS 314 - I do not want to buy another NAS from another brand, just to be able to run Minimserver on it...

I have had a ReadyNAS Duo since 2012. The hardware is excellent, and I have recently (and easily) replaced both hard drives rather than buy a new NAS. But I only did that because the Duo supports MinimServer. Sadly, and unlike Synology and QNAP, Netgear just do not 'get' the concept of installing third party software on their NAS boxes (WD are the same)

David
29-10-2019, 20:20
(28-10-2019 14:04)DavidHB Wrote:  [quote='whgmkeller' pid='34284' dateline='1572193465']I can relate to Simon and the fact that he has put a lot of effort into developing a server package for the previous ReadyNAS series. I can surely see that it would be a pain to have to do that all again for the current series.

It's worse than that. Having put in the investment in time and effort, Simon could easily find that Netgear introduce new, incompatible models without notice; it has happened before. With the range of platforms Simon already supports, investment in the Netgear range clearly does not make sense for him.

@David
As far as I’m aware, ReadyNAS has changed the Operating System for their NAS-es from “ Radiator” to “OS 6”, giving them a new platform to build upon. This is a fairly common thing to do for developers when they real8se that a platform gas reached the end of it’s lifecycle. All brands do this and Synology and QNAP will no doubt do the same at some point in time.

My point us that ReadyNAS’es OS 6 platform will be in use for the next 6 tru 1 years of so, making it worthwhile - in my line of thinking - to create a installation package for it.

In the end, it’s up to Simon to decide on this, of course.

Willem
29-10-2019, 22:02
Synology and QNAP have never introduced a completely new software and hardware platform that broke compatibilty with all apps that have ever been developed for previous versions. I would be extremely surprised if either of them were to do this.

There is another reason why it is very unlikely that I would add OS 6 support to MinimServer. The build and packaging process for OS 6 apps is complex and unlike anything I am doing for other platforms. It would require a very significant investment of my time to develop, test and support a version of MinimServer for OS 6 and I don't think this level of investment would be justified. There is a reason why there are far fewer third-party apps available for ReadyNAS than for QNAP and Synology.
02-11-2019, 17:45
Hello,

the link in comment #2 is broken. I think it should be:
http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread....34#pid9934
02-11-2019, 22:05
Thanks for letting me know. There are a number of these bad links resulting from a failed attempt some months ago to backup the forum and upgrade to a later level of the forum software. The simplest solution is to add an HTTP redirect for all links that refer to the forum1613.minimserver.com domain and I have now done this. Clicking on any of these links will now redirect automatically to the correct location.