Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artist or Artists for multiple Artists
16-07-2019, 12:56
RE: Artist or Artists for multiple Artists
Good catch! For this test, the setting for indexTags should be Artists,All Artists with no aliasTags. The Artists index will show Artists tags and the All Artists index will show Artist tags.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2019, 15:57
(08-07-2019 15:34)sadsack5000 Wrote:  I have ran all my mp3's through musicbrainz picard and they are tagged to the id3v2.4 standard. Musicbrainz has utilised a new tag ARTISTS with semicolon separator's to list the main artist and featured artist in any relevant track. See attachment under column Original Values.
In this case Florence Welch does not appear in All Artists of MS, nor does John Martin in the track a few previous.

I think I may have found a discrepancy in your original post.

I have been messing around with Musicbrainz Picard (always interested in different software) and your attached image suggests that it was set to id3v2.3 standard. I deduce that from the Artists tag replacement value containing a backward slash (/) separator instead of the original semi colon. Of course, this could be an old image and if so I apologise for my assumption.

If, however, the Artists tag value, in your example, is indeed ‘Calvin Harris/Florence Welch’ then Minimserver does not recognise the separator.
If you follow simoncn suggestion, the above should appear in the Artists index as Calvin Harris/Florence Welch.
16-07-2019, 16:41
To further complicate the picture, in ID3v2.3 certain tags are allowed to have multiple values separated by a forward slash (/). Artist is one of these tags but Artists is not. This issue is fixed in ID3v2.4 by allowing multiple values for all tags, separated by a NUL character (0x00).

This means that if the Artists value shown in the screenshot (Calvin Harris/Florence Welch) is used in either an ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 file, MinimServer should show it as the single value Calvin Harris/Florence Welch.
16-07-2019, 19:06 (This post was last modified: 16-07-2019 19:19 by sadsack5000.)
(16-07-2019 12:56)simoncn Wrote:  Good catch! For this test, the setting for indexTags should be Artists,All Artists with no aliasTags. The Artists index will show Artists tags and the All Artists index will show Artist tags.

Success! With the above indexTags and no alias i see Artists and All Artists.
It dawned on me that my earlier screenshot didn't have picard setup to write id3v2.4 but i just reinstalled that to demonstrate that my original (existing) values did have multiple tags in the Artists box. I painstakingly retagged my whole library to pristine id3v2.4 some time ago

Thanks for the assistance. I'll now reconfigure MS a little bit at a time to my original settings and try the alias.

Its definately Artists:-Artist right? (so include the "-")

EDIT i checked and All Artists doesnt contain Artists with the above configuration.
Does that mean i must have both from here on out?
My standard config in indexTags is All Artists, Albumartist: Album Artist, Genre, Decade, Date:Year.
Was hoping Artists would make their way under All Artists somehow

EDIT2 disregard above questions. I've now setup MS back to my preferred config with the alias Artists:-Artist and everything is suddenly perfect. Artists appears under All Artists as you originally suggested.

Thankyou simon et al