Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cover artwork for parent folder
29-06-2019, 23:14 (This post was last modified: 30-06-2019 02:10 by gbrist.)
Cover artwork for parent folder
I am new to Minimserver using a Synology DS218+.
I am migrating from a Seagate NAS that used Twonky.
I am using the default Minimserver properties (2 x attachments)
Using HiFi Cast on the Tablet ( although same issue with Foobar200 mobile and Mconnect HD )

My folder structure is like:
Artist
Album 1
Album 2
Album 3 etc etc
So far the only thing that is disappointing is that when looking at Folder View there is no cover artwork in the parent folder where as with the Seagate NAS there is and the Parent folder displayed the first album cover listed withing the Parent Folder..
Actual album cover art is fine just the Parent Folder is the issue - and it displays this annoying "tag view" icon ( above the list of albums, first level down from the parent as in attachment 3 )
Same FLAC lossless files on both NAS's. Ripped by dbPoweramp.
I can "force" an album cover to appear by copying a folder.jpg into the parent directory.
ie
No cover art appears in the parent folder icon if:
Led Zeppelin ( Parent folder )
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
But if I copy cover art from one of the albums to the parent directory the parent directory will display that cover art picture
ie
Cover art appears in the parent folder icon if:
Led Zeppelin ( Parent folder )
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Folder.jpg

As I have many Parent Folders (almost 1000) I would rather think there may be a setting I have missed rather than have to add a Folder.jpg to every Parent Folder.
Hopefully I have explained my situation clearly.
Also would be interested in any whether I should be making any changes to the "default" Minimserver properties to give a better result overall?
Thanks

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2019, 12:55
RE: Cover artwork for parent folder
With regards the >> Tag view

Look at List view and Tag view

Or at Hide Contents choice

With regards Artist cover art, you have not overlooked any settings. It is working as intended.
You may find that another tagging software can create the necessary art cover automatically across all of the appropriate folders.
30-06-2019, 13:26 (This post was last modified: 30-06-2019 22:15 by gbrist.)
(30-06-2019 12:55)Alandbush Wrote:  With regards the >> Tag view

Look at List view and Tag view

Or at Hide Contents choice

With regards Artist cover art, you have not overlooked any settings. It is working as intended.
You may find that another tagging software can create the necessary art cover automatically across all of the appropriate folders.

Just strange that the folder view for both the parent folders and albums under the parent presents properly as far as artwork is concerned with the NAS that runs Twonky with exactly the same FLAC files.
Now to get the same result with Minimserver on the new NAS I will have to manually copy into each parent directory ( of which there is 1400 odd at last count ) a cover art jpg...unless there is likely to some software that will do it.automatically...be nice but ..not sure if it exists?
I moved to Minimserver in the hope that it would perform better than Twonky...and save me work.
It does handle compilation album type searhes better than Twonky though.
In the process of looking around at my covert art files I have noticed that the majority are in .jpeg file type and not .jpg...
actually the file name for the artwork is Floder.jpg but looking at its properties it says it is a .jpeg file type...
would this possibly make any difference to minimserver or does it accept both .jpg and .jpeg?
Thanks.
30-06-2019, 22:42
It might be helpful to give some background on why MinimServer works this way.

MinimServer is primarily designed for browsing by tags, with folder browsing also available. When browsing by tags, the folder hierarchy does not have any semantic significance and it should be possible for a user to make changes to the folder hierarchy without seeing any changes to their browsing experience.

Some users prefer to browse by folder hierarchy and either completely or partially ignore any tagged information in their files. In this case, the folder hierarchy usually does have semantic significance. For example, the user mght have a convention that in his or her library, the parent folder of each album folder represents the primary artist for that album. If this is the case, the user might want to have a folder browsing experience that reflects this library structure.

MinimServer could make the assumption that a user who prefers folder browsing has structured their library in this way and could present the folder hierarchy in a manner that assumes such a structure. This could cause problems for users who have structured their library differently, so there might have to be new MinimServer options to adapt the folder browsing experience for different library structures. These new options would add complexity for users, which is not desirable.

None of the above is intended to exclude the possibility that a change similar to what you are requesting could be implemented in some future version of MinimServer. This would require careful thought and consideration of how such a change would affect users with different library structures. At the present time, as Alandbush has said, the only way to get the browsing experience that you want with MinimServer is to copy folder.jpg files into your parent (artist) directories.
30-06-2019, 22:59 (This post was last modified: 30-06-2019 23:17 by gbrist.)
(30-06-2019 22:42)simoncn Wrote:  It might be helpful to give some background on why MinimServer works this way.

MinimServer is primarily designed for browsing by tags, with folder browsing also available. When browsing by tags, the folder hierarchy does not have any semantic significance and it should be possible for a user to make changes to the folder hierarchy without seeing any changes to their browsing experience.

Some users prefer to browse by folder hierarchy and either completely or partially ignore any tagged information in their files. In this case, the folder hierarchy usually does have semantic significance. For example, the user mght have a convention that in his or her library, the parent folder of each album folder represents the primary artist for that album. If this is the case, the user might want to have a folder browsing experience that reflects this library structure.

MinimServer could make the assumption that a user who prefers folder browsing has structured their library in this way and could present the folder hierarchy in a manner that assumes such a structure. This could cause problems for users who have structured their library differently, so there might have to be new MinimServer options to adapt the folder browsing experience for different library structures. These new options would add complexity for users, which is not desirable.

None of the above is intended to exclude the possibility that a change similar to what you are requesting could be implemented in some future version of MinimServer. This would require careful thought and consideration of how such a change would affect users with different library structures. At the present time, as Alandbush has said, the only way to get the browsing experience that you want with MinimServer is to copy folder.jpg files into your parent (artist) directories.
Thankyou for the detailed explanation.
So I take it that .jpg or .jpeg would make no difference ( in genaral not just with regards to this parent folder problem I have)?
I guess that I could either put up with it or do a lot of work...Smile
Maybe of interest but when using dbPoweramp I use the following naming convention (which is pretty standard I think & I have used for about 8 to 10 years)
So I am surprised more users do not have an issue with it...maybe I am a bit pedantic Smile

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Thanks again.
01-07-2019, 20:45
The correct filetype for a JPEG image is .jpg. If you use .jpeg, the file will not be found by MinimServer.

Thanks for posting your naming convention for folders and files. I have not used this dBpoweramp formatting language myself but I get the idea. I don't think it would be a good idea for MinimServer to attempt to "reverse engineer" the user's naming convention and library structure from the names of the folders and files. Attempting to do this in a general way would require some very complex coding that would almost certainly fail to handle some cases.