Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can Minimserver display the accented characters of the extended Latin script?
05-06-2019, 20:28
Can Minimserver display the accented characters of the extended Latin script?
I am getting a lot of squares instead of letters in the display of my artists and albums with Minimserver. (Not a problem with my previous upnp software).

The combined 'o' and 'e' used in "sœur" (sister) in French, most of the accented letters used in Luthuanian, for example.

With more than 18000 tracks in the catalogue re-writing the metadata is something I wish to avoid.

Is there a way to display the extended Latin alphabet using Minimserver? I am using a Mac with the latest iOS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2019, 21:12
RE: Can Minimserver display the accented characters of the extended Latin script?
Is your metadata written as Unicode UTF-8? Which UPnP control point app are you using? Can you post a screenshot showing the problem?
05-06-2019, 22:20
RE: Can Minimserver display the accented characters of the extended Latin script?
I do not know about Unicode. The items display properly in the Mac's "Finder" as they do on a Windows 7 laptop. I am not too good at the photo thing my sight is such that I do not use the photo part of the phone. What I took was too big a file.
The tags are generally those created by the software when ripping with dbpoweramp. The problem items are displayed as a question mark in a square box.

The upnp controller is dCS Mosaic.
07-06-2019, 21:07
I tried this and it is working correctly for me.

In Mac Finder, I selected View for an m4a file, then Show Preview, then in the preview window I selected Show More. Tags with special characters were shown correctly (for example, Authors: Taizé Community with an é character).

In dCS Mosaic, I selected the same file for playing. In the Now Playing window, the artist name was shown correctly as Taizé Community.

I tried the same for a file named Brendan´s Prayer (note that the ´ character is not the normal quotation mark '). This also displayed correctly by dCS Mosaic. I am running dCS Mosaic on an iPad. I also tried adding an œ character to a filename on the Mac and this was displayed correctly by dCS Mosaic.

Is there somewhere you could post one of your files that has this problem so that I could look at it?
08-06-2019, 10:28
Sorry to disappoint but if you return to my initial post you will see that the "é" is not among the characters cited...
08-06-2019, 11:17
If you return to my previous post you will see that I tried adding an œ character to a filename on the Mac and this was displayed correctly by dCS Mosaic.

Is there somewhere you could post one of your files that has this problem so that I could look at it?
08-06-2019, 11:29
See if you can download these from wetransfer that I sent to Phil H at dCS

https://we.tl/t-qnOFYG3MtD
08-06-2019, 17:12 (This post was last modified: 08-06-2019 17:12 by simoncn.)
Thanks for these files. The problem is caused by these files having ID3v2.3 tags with a text encoding description byte specifying ISO 8859-1 but containing some Windows-1252 characters (for example, Š) that are illegal in ISO 8859-1.

These characters display correctly in Mp3tag and Asset UPnP, so it seems that it is common practice for other audio software to recognise Windows-1252 as the character set even though ISO 8859-1 is specified in the tags. I can make this change in MinimServer without breaking compatibility because there are no characters in ISO 8859-1 that don't also appear in Windows-1252. This change will be in the next update to MinimServer.

Thanks for letting me know about this issue.
08-06-2019, 17:20 (This post was last modified: 08-06-2019 18:15 by uncl_nigel.)
Most helpful, Simon. Thanks.

How long before an update? Real question, I have no idea about such things.

(08-06-2019 17:12)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for these files. The problem is caused by these files having ID3v2.3 tags with a text encoding description byte specifying ISO 8859-1 but containing some Windows-1252 characters (for example, Š) that are illegal in ISO 8859-1.

These characters display correctly in Mp3tag and Asset UPnP, so it seems that it is common practice for other audio software to recognise Windows-1252 as the character set even though ISO 8859-1 is specified in the tags. I can make this change in MinimServer without breaking compatibility because there are no characters in ISO 8859-1 that don't also appear in Windows-1252. This change will be in the next update to MinimServer.

Thanks for letting me know about this issue.
08-06-2019, 18:15 (This post was last modified: 08-06-2019 18:20 by uncl_nigel.)
One problem out of three with a solution in sight :-)

How about returning to my question about multiple instances within the same session à la Asset?
- one for pop etc with album and artist as head words
- the other for classical with composer, conductor and orchestra as head words
Each pointing to its own folder, for example, it takes all the pop song writers out of the composer lists making them usable.