Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Control Apps Not Workin
30-05-2019, 00:40
Control Apps Not Workin
Hi
I can’t Kinsky or Kazoo to work on Melco N1A with output via Ethernet.
Kinsky displays MinimServer and music library and allows me to select an album to play but will not move tracks to the playing section.
Kazoo comes up waiting for rooms, I can see MinimServer listed under media servers.
Are these issues due to using Ethernet output opposed to USB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2019, 07:24
RE: Control Apps Not Workin
Kazoo requires an OpenHome renderer in order to allow you browse the library. Your Ethernet renderer is UPnP AV, not OpenHome. If you connect the renderer to the N1A via USB, the N1A gives you the option of using it as an OpenHome renderer.

The problem with Kinsky is likely to be caused by a MIME type mismatch between the files you are trying to play and the capabilities advertised by the renderer. What is the type of these files (e.g., DFF, DSF, FLAC, WAV, MP3, M4A)?
30-05-2019, 12:20
The file types are DFF, DSF and FLAC the only App that works is Mconnect but no as good as Kazoo or Kinsky.
I was using the N1A via USB until I tried Ethernet and found the SQ with Ethernet to be far superior to USB prior to installing MinimSererver.
I assume MinimServer will not improve the N1A SQ over USB?
30-05-2019, 13:16 (This post was last modified: 30-05-2019 13:17 by simoncn.)
FLAC should work OK with Kinsky. DSF and DFF can be tricky because the MIME types for these are not standard and Kinsky does strict MIME type checking. If you are using Kinsky on Windows, you can look at the Kinsky debug console to get more information on the problem.

Like you, I found that USB sounded worse than Ethernet but this was reversed when I upgraded to a better USB cable. This can vary between renderers. The only way to find out if MinimServer sounds better over USB than Twonky (the N1A default server) is to try it.
30-05-2019, 19:22
With Kinsky you can see the library and select and album however when you attempt to play it the tracks will not move over into the now playing area (play next).

I am using all of these controls apps with IOS on an Ipad.

I already have already tried to improve the USB output of the N1A, Transparent Audio High performance USB cable, Uptone Regen and now the Uptone ISO Regen. The only option left would be to try another brand of USB cable e.g. Audio Quest or Wireworld or possible addition of linear power supply for the ISO Regen. These are all very expensinve options which at this point based on reviews of the N1A USB output I'm not confident will improve the USB output. The music sounds very clean and detailed with USB but also sound compressed, which becomes very noticeable when you try Ethernet.
31-05-2019, 01:14
(30-05-2019 13:16)simoncn Wrote:  FLAC should work OK with Kinsky. DSF and DFF can be tricky because the MIME types for these are not standard and Kinsky does strict MIME type checking. If you are using Kinsky on Windows, you can look at the Kinsky debug console to get more information on the problem.

Like you, I found that USB sounded worse than Ethernet but this was reversed when I upgraded to a better USB cable. This can vary between renderers. The only way to find out if MinimServer sounds better over USB than Twonky (the N1A default server) is to try it.

Hi Simon
Out of curiosity what USB cable are you using and you between your Melco an DAC as what DAC are you using. I am aware that USB cables and DAC are all about synergy?
31-05-2019, 08:44
You can install and run Kinsky on Windows as a test to debug this problem. If you get the same problem when trying to play a track using Kinsky on Windows, you can view the Kinsky debug console by right-clicking on the Kinsky window, then selecting Tools and Debug Console. Scroll down in the debug console to view the most recent messages, which should give an indication of what is causing the problem. You can't do this on iOS because Kinsky on iOS does not (as far as I know) have a debug console.

I am using a dCS Rossini DAC and an AudioQuest Diamond USB cable. I tried a number of cheaper cables fron the AudioQuest range and none of these sounded as good as the Diamond. I am also using an AudioQuest Jitterbug to connect the USB cable to the Melco, which provides a further slight improvement in the sound.
31-05-2019, 14:58
(31-05-2019 08:44)simoncn Wrote:  You can install and run Kinsky on Windows as a test to debug this problem. If you get the same problem when trying to play a track using Kinsky on Windows, you can view the Kinsky debug console by right-clicking on the Kinsky window, then selecting Tools and Debug Console. Scroll down in the debug console to view the most recent messages, which should give an indication of what is causing the problem. You can't do this on iOS because Kinsky on iOS does not (as far as I know) have a debug console.

I am using a dCS Rossini DAC and an AudioQuest Diamond USB cable. I tried a number of cheaper cables fron the AudioQuest range and none of these sounded as good as the Diamond. I am also using an AudioQuest Jitterbug to connect the USB cable to the Melco, which provides a further slight improvement in the sound.

Interesting, I purchased the N1A over 2 years ago and always used with USB SQ has always been very tonally correct and detailed but 2 dimensional with a very small soundstage especially when compared to vinyl playback. After reading a few test report which all highlighted this very same playback quality compared to the Ehernet output I decided to try the Ethernet output and was amazed at the difference. I then switched back and upgraded from the Regen to ISO Regen in the hopes it would rectified the issue. I note Melco has released the N1A2 to address this very issue per speaking directly with their US representative which I am considering purchasing if Ethernet connectivity doesn't work out.
This led me to your site looking for a solution to the N1A inability to stream DS via Ethernet. I am currently using a generic cat 5E patch cord and hoping my Wireworld starlight Cat 8 cable will arrive today. With a the generic cable the soundstage and air around the instruments is a lot closer to vinyl playback although the tonally can improve which I hope the Starlight will rectify.
Sorrry for the long spill but just to provide some background and what I am trying to achieve.
04-06-2019, 20:38
(31-05-2019 08:44)simoncn Wrote:  You can install and run Kinsky on Windows as a test to debug this problem. If you get the same problem when trying to play a track using Kinsky on Windows, you can view the Kinsky debug console by right-clicking on the Kinsky window, then selecting Tools and Debug Console. Scroll down in the debug console to view the most recent messages, which should give an indication of what is causing the problem. You can't do this on iOS because Kinsky on iOS does not (as far as I know) have a debug console.

Hi Simon
I received the Starlight cable last Friday and after burn in had a serious listen on Monday night.
The sound of the N1A in dark mode running MinimServer with Twonky switched off via USB is very comparable to the N1A via Ethernet with the upgraded Starlight Ethernet cable. I tried the same combination with Twonky enabled and the SQ was not as good. I am going to look at trying your suggestion to transcode Flac 16 files to Wav24 as well.
05-06-2019, 12:01
Thanks for this information. It is interesting that having Twonky running has a negative effect on sound quality. I normally run with Twonky disabled, so I haven't noticed this myself.