Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
minimserver file type output on Melco N1a without minimstreamer installed
28-05-2019, 18:14
minimserver file type output on Melco N1a without minimstreamer installed
I just installed minimum server on my Melco N1A, the installation was successful as I can see minimserver on my control app Mconnect and have been able to switch off Twonky via N1A front panel.

The N1A is connected to my Oppo 105D via Ethernet which I am using as a DAC/network player. My question is I am able to play my library as is which consist of both Flac 44.1 – 192K and DSD128 - 256 files and I have not installed the minimstreamer add-on.
In this case is the input file type and resolution now being output by the N1A i.e. Flac or DSD unchanged from the input file type resolution if not what is being outputted by the N1A?
Dependent upon the question above is minimstreamer installed required or was it installed with minimserver version 0.8.5.4 ?

I have installed minimwatch on a PC on my network but it does appear to open when doubled clicked however in shows up in control panel as installed. How do I get minimwatch to access the melco as I tried using the N1A IP address:9700 in my browsers which didn’t work?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2019, 20:11
RE: minimserver file type output on Melco N1a without minimstreamer installed
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimStreamer is not installed automatically when you install MinimServer. If you want to use MinimStreamer, you need to install it as described in this section.

If you don't have MinimStreamer installed, the output to your DAC (audio format and resolution) is exactly the same as the files you have in your library on the N1A.

To run MinimWatch on your PC, you need to have Java installed. See this section for how to do this. If you have installed Java, double-clicking the MinimWatch desktop launch icon should show a minim icon (musical note) in the Windows system tray. The minim icon might appear in the overflow area of the system tray (accessed by clicking the upward-pointing arrow in the system tray).

To access the MinimServer status web page from a web browser, you need to enter ip-address:9790, not ip-address:9700.
28-05-2019, 20:24
(28-05-2019 20:11)simoncn Wrote:  Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimStreamer is not installed automatically when you install MinimServer. If you want to use MinimStreamer, you need to install it as described in this section.

If you don't have MinimStreamer installed, the output to your DAC (audio format and resolution) is exactly the same as the files you have in your library on the N1A.

To run MinimWatch on your PC, you need to have Java installed. See this section for how to do this. If you have installed Java, double-clicking the MinimWatch desktop launch icon should show a minim icon (musical note) in the Windows system tray. The minim icon might appear in the overflow area of the system tray (accessed by clicking the upward-pointing arrow in the system tray).

To access the MinimServer status web page from a web browser, you need to enter ip-address:9790, not ip-address:9700.
28-05-2019, 20:30
Hi Simon,

Response noted, so if file type/resolution is output exactly as input under what circumstances would I need to use MinimStreamer? Would it be only if one wanted to the change the input file type/resolution to another file format/resolution i.e. up-sampling?

I will install Java on the PC in an try to access MinimServer.
28-05-2019, 21:11 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2019 21:12 by simoncn.)
MinimStreamer transcoding is necessary if your DAC cannot handle the audio type and/or resolution (sample rate and bit depth) of some of your audio files on disk. For this use case, MinimStreamer would be doing format conversion and/or downsampling.

Some people find that format conversion and/or upsampling improves sound quality. A common example of this is using MinimStreamer to transcode 16-bit FLAC to 24-bit WAV without changing the sample rate. This difference can be more noticeable on some DACs than on others and some people do not hear any difference from doing this. The only way to find out if this has any benefit for you is to try it and listen.
29-05-2019, 03:23
I will try installing MinimStreamer and experiment with the format conversion. With Twonky on the N1A when playing an album the album and song name would die shown on the Melco display. With MinimServer installed no information is displayed on the Melco is this normal or something changed via settings.
29-05-2019, 08:54
The song playing information is shown for MinimServer if the DAC is connected by USB. It is not shown if the DAC is connected by Ethernet. This is a limitation of the Melco firmware.
29-05-2019, 13:44
That's odd as the display worked via ethernet using Twonky and Mconnect prior to installing MiniServer.
29-05-2019, 14:05
Yes, it works for Twonky over Ethernet but not for MinimServer over Ethernet. This is a limitation of the Melco firmware.
29-05-2019, 14:57
Thanks Simon.