Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apostrophe in file names in m3u playlist
14-05-2019, 08:58
Apostrophe in file names in m3u playlist
Have some music files with an apostrohe e.g.
08 There’s Always Me.flac
and listed in a m3u playlist file.

But Minimserver does not recognise the music files in playlist. From log:
Error: playlist Smooth minimserver.m3u: no matching file for /media/music/pa/Elvis Presley/08 There’s Always Me.flac

The error occurs whenever an apostrophe is used in a m3u playlist file. Another example:
Error: playlist Smooth minimserver.m3u: no matching file for /media/music/pa/Phil Collins/06 Don’t Lose My Number.flac

No problem with music file when played normally.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2019, 10:36
RE: Apostrophe in file names in m3u playlist
If you rename the playlist file as .m3u8 instead of .m3u, it should work. A .m3u8 file can contain UTF-8 characters.
14-05-2019, 10:52
(14-05-2019 10:36)simoncn Wrote:  If you rename the playlist file as .m3u8 instead of .m3u, it should work. A .m3u8 file can contain UTF-8 characters.
Thank you. It worked! Never knew the apostrophe belonged to UTF-8. Sad
14-05-2019, 11:37
It depends which kind of apostrophe. The single-quote character ' (often used in place of apostrophe) does not need UTF-8. Your filename contains a right single quotation mark ’ (U+2019) which needs UTF-8.
14-05-2019, 12:21
(14-05-2019 11:37)simoncn Wrote:  It depends which kind of apostrophe. The single-quote character ' (often used in place of apostrophe) does not need UTF-8. Your filename contains a right single quotation mark ’ (U+2019) which needs UTF-8.
More things that I am learning!

Music were ripped using EAC and never had a problem with them in playlists for Foobar2000, BluOS, MPD (on SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo), LMS (on Ultra and Win 10 PC). Hence, my surprise when the issue occurred.

Is it necessary to differentiate between .m3U and .m3u8? The other players did not care...
14-05-2019, 13:42
See this section for a description of how this is supposed to work.

If MinimServer were to treat all m3u files as UTF-8, this could cause problems with playlist files encoded in the platform default character set. In particular, it would affect Windows systems where the default character set is Windows-1252. If a user has .m3u files in this character set and MinimServer were to change to assume UTF-8 for these files, these files would no longer work and this would be a breaking change for existing MinimServer users.

From the file paths in your original post, I presume you are running MinimServer on Linux. Perhaps I could make this change for .m3u files on Linux and Mac, as these files should be using UTF-8 characters.
15-05-2019, 04:56
Yes, am running Linux, would be nice if you default m3u files to UTF-8; would save supporting posts from noobs like me! :-)