Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lose Music Signal
06-05-2019, 06:49
Lose Music Signal
Hi All,
I think it probably has nothing to do with Minimserver, I was trying to register with Audiophile style forum to seek help, but after many attemp, could not register, it keeps coming up with "you did not pass the security check", also not able to send email to the forum, same problem occured.
So, I turn this forum for help, if it is not inapproprite for me to do so.

I have been running minimserver and MPD for many weeks, through Allo Digione signature player connect to Chord Dac, with attached USB HDD, for first few weeks, never encouter any lose signal, no matter how I play it.
About two weeks ago, I started to encounter with lose signal, although it was not happend to every song I play, mostly happend when i switch from album to album, especially when change the file format from DSD to Flac/Wav (but not always not case), I experience 1-2 second lose of signal after few second of music start, it can happend two or three times in the same song.
Recently, I added a ifi idefender to attached to USB drive, it does improve a bit of clarity, but i think it should has nothing to do with this ifi, because when unplug the ifi, the same thing happend.
Not sure anyone have similar experience to share or idea to resolve this issue.
Thanks
Kwan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2019, 08:16
RE: Lose Music Signal
There is a good explanation of how to use MPD with a UPnP server on this page. Which of these approaches are you using (front end or back end)?
06-05-2019, 08:58
(06-05-2019 08:16)simoncn Wrote:  There is a good explanation of how to use MPD with a UPnP server on this page. Which of these approaches are you using (front end or back end)?

I used it as front end and I followed this guidelinefrom https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads.html.
Thanks for the reply.
Kwan
06-05-2019, 10:19
What hardware platform do you use to run MinimServer and MPD? Do they run on the same Linux machine? It could be that this machine is not powerful enough to handle MPD and MinimServer running at the same time with transcoding enabled.
06-05-2019, 10:43
(06-05-2019 10:19)simoncn Wrote:  What hardware platform do you use to run MinimServer and MPD? Do they run on the same Linux machine? It could be that this machine is not powerful enough to handle MPD and MinimServer running at the same time with transcoding enabled.

I use RPi to run Minimserver and MPD, it could possibily be RPi not powerful enough to run the system.
I just come to think of maybe is my music files store in HDD has increased almost double, at the begining my HDD only store around 400G of files, it was increased to around 800G, as I progressively transfer the file from my PC to HDD, I should try a new HDD with much lesser files, when my new HDD arrived.
Thanks
Kwan
06-05-2019, 12:55
The number of files on the HDD should not affect this.

Are you using the Ethernet LAN port of the RPi? If so, this will be an issue because the RPi uses the USB bus for its LAN connection. This means you are reading data from the HDD across the USB bus at the same time as sending/receiving LAN data, also using the USB bus. This creates a bottleneck and is likely to cause dropouts, as you are seeing.

If you are not using the Ethernet LAN port of the RPi, it is likely that the issue is with the CPU or memory capacity of the RPi.
07-05-2019, 05:50
[quote='simoncn' pid='33055' dateline='1557143724']
The number of files on the HDD should not affect this.

No, I only use Wifi to send file to RPi.
I did some experiment yesterday, to increase the CPU freq and mem size at config file, after playing around an hour, it was no lose in signal, I should test in next few days to confirm it.
Thanks for the reply.
Kwan