Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
lumin app loses connection to minim or linn ds
30-04-2019, 15:12 (This post was last modified: 30-04-2019 15:44 by FransZappa.)
lumin app loses connection to minim or linn ds
Hi there,

I have been using the Lumin app as a control for a few years now and never had any connection problems up to recently.

My set up is simple: Qnap NAS with MinimServer - TplinkArcherC7 router - Linn DS.

I believe it started after a Lumin update but I'm not sure, might be a Linn update but the Lumin loses its connection after about half an hour to an hour either playing music or playing none. I can still browse my files, the Linn still plays but the playlist is no longer shown and the are no play/pause and skip controllers and one cannot add tracks or albums anymore. When I close the app and start it up again everything is working properly again until it decides to lose the connection again.

The strange thing is that Linn Kazoo does not have this problem, it keeps connected and working as it should - it is just that I really hate the Kazoo app so I want to keep using the Lumin app. Anyway that is why I'm doubting that it is a network problem.

Anyone knows about a Linn-Lumin bug or any suggestion on how to fix this issue?

ADDENDUM - when the Lumin app has lost connection and you try to add a track to your playlist there is a message that reads 'please select a LUMIN' , generally that would be my Linn which I cannot select in the options-section because no connected device is found. MinimServer is displayed properly however.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2019, 19:18
RE: lumin app loses connection to minim or linn ds
I’ve noticed some issues like this and is, I think, a Lumin app change as I recently upgraded the Lumin app but have not upgraded Davaar for a few months.
I did make some changes on my network and thought that may have been the issue but now seeing your post makes me think it’s the Lumin app.
I find it mostly resolves itself once the app has done the update check of the library but a few times not.
30-04-2019, 23:30
(30-04-2019 19:18)Peter@57m Wrote:  I’ve noticed some issues like this and is, I think, a Lumin app change as I recently upgraded the Lumin app but have not upgraded Davaar for a few months.
I did make some changes on my network and thought that may have been the issue but now seeing your post makes me think it’s the Lumin app.
I find it mostly resolves itself once the app has done the update check of the library but a few times not.

Even worse here!
Lumin is showing the music library but the app closes immediately after selecting whatever. Kazoo IOS is working better although not completely without issues. Kazoo on Android is a nightmare! Kazoo was very reliable till a few updates ago . I think the update meant to improve network connectivity spoiled it in my setup.
03-05-2019, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 22:03 by ac16161.)
Just curious, what is it about the Lumin app that appeals? Just took a look, I see it does its own harvest of the library, shows upstream art and has an independent navigation toolbar. I think the large number of tiles on the screen is quite nice, but overall not getting it, but interested to know what features its users like.
04-05-2019, 14:22
I have used Lumin for years. I like it in many ways.
But it is temperamental, and, yes, it seems to frequently not be able to find the streamer.
I use it on an iPad.
I find the reliable way to use it is to close the app each time I have used it. That is press the bottom button on the iPad and flick it off the screen.
When it opens again it is always fine.
Lumin also seems to prefer a strong and fast WiFi, i.e. the wifi generated by your router.

Kazoo is sometimes moody also. Kinsky is always rock solid, and such a reliable app.
Has anyone here tried the new "white" Linn beta control software available only on Testflight at the moment. It is curiously good. The Search is fast and shows different sources at one go, e.g. tracks available on your NAS and on Qobuz. Really cool if you are looking for different versions of a jazz standard.

Donuk beautiful downtown York
04-05-2019, 18:50
Good to read that the lumin behaviour does not have anything to do with my local setup. But I would like to see it fixed, because it really is a bit annoying. I am using it to play qobuz via the BubbleUPnP Server.

When I wake up the app after some minutes it very often is unresponsive. I Anoto kill and restart it, too, to make it work again.
05-05-2019, 14:38
(04-05-2019 18:50)tarnkappe Wrote:  Good to read that the lumin behaviour does not have anything to do with my local setup. But I would like to see it fixed, because it really is a bit annoying. I am using it to play qobuz via the BubbleUPnP Server.

When I wake up the app after some minutes it very often is unresponsive. I Anoto kill and restart it, too, to make it work again.
So the problem is not restricted to Linn users.
Since you use BubbleUPnP Server, you probably use a non openhome renderer?
Wonder if Lumin renderers have the same issues, maybe connection is faultless with this brand?
05-05-2019, 18:40
(05-05-2019 14:38)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  So the problem is not restricted to Linn users.
Since you use BubbleUPnP Server, you probably use a non openhome renderer?
Wonder if Lumin renderers have the same issues, maybe connection is faultless with this brand?

Yes, I am playing on a none openhome renderer, a naim superuniti. It really would be interesting if lumin renderers show the same behaviour.
09-05-2019, 00:02
(04-05-2019 14:22)Donuk Wrote:  I have used Lumin for years. I like it in many ways.
But it is temperamental, and, yes, it seems to frequently not be able to find the streamer.
I use it on an iPad.
I find the reliable way to use it is to close the app each time I have used it. That is press the bottom button on the iPad and flick it off the screen.
When it opens again it is always fine.
Lumin also seems to prefer a strong and fast WiFi, i.e. the wifi generated by your router.

Kazoo is sometimes moody also. Kinsky is always rock solid, and such a reliable app.
Has anyone here tried the new "white" Linn beta control software available only on Testflight at the moment. It is curiously good. The Search is fast and shows different sources at one go, e.g. tracks available on your NAS and on Qobuz. Really cool if you are looking for different versions of a jazz standard.

Donuk beautiful downtown York
I recently tried this app.
Edditing the playlist ( now called queue) is improved, you can select multiple items and then delete. The alfabetic index is like in Kazoo not working properly. I don’t call it a winner, small pictures ,no grit,not easy to read, needs to be improved. But it’s a Beta version it takes some time to create a winner!
11-05-2019, 14:33
Yes, Peter, the ability to resize the artwork so easily makes Lumin a winner.