Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artwork FolderView naming
18-04-2019, 10:45
Artwork FolderView naming
Since alot of users seem to use Folder View can I just clarify the naming rules in order for artwork to be picked up. If there is a folder.jpg (or folder.png) in the folder that will be used as the image for the folder at all levels within a control point using MinimServer.

If instead there is a cover.jpg file (for a folder that represents an album) will that be picked up in folder view or only when browsing tags (by album)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2019, 11:57 (This post was last modified: 18-04-2019 11:57 by simoncn.)
RE: Artwork FolderView naming
To my great surprise, there is nothing in the User guide that describes the search process for artwork for folders in folder view.

The answer to your question is that cover.jpg and cover.png are used for folder artwork in folder view. Also, if there is no folder art file (with any of the permitted names) for a folder, artwork from an audio file in the folder is used as artwork for the folder. This audio file is the first file with artwork that MinimServer finds when scanning the folder.

I will add this information to the User guide.
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2019, 14:36 (This post was last modified: 18-04-2019 14:37 by paultaylor.)
(18-04-2019 11:57)simoncn Wrote:  To my great surprise, there is nothing in the User guide that describes the search process for artwork for folders in folder view.

The answer to your question is that cover.jpg and cover.png are used for folder artwork in folder view. Also, if there is no folder art file (with any of the permitted names) for a folder, artwork from an audio file in the folder is used as artwork for the folder. This audio file is the first file with artwork that MinimServer finds when scanning the folder.

I will add this information to the User guide.
Thanks, to clarify you mean that cover.jpg can be used in addition to folder.jpg, since folder.jpg does work.

As a temporary artist artwork (i.e photo of artist) measure I note that adding folder.jpg to the albumartist folder will cause the folder to be updated with that image. but if none is added nothing is picked up from the any album folder underneath the artist folder, even though all albums have album artwork.

Would it be a nice default for MinimServer to apply some logic to apply the first artwork from subfolder to the folder above, so in attached screenshot control point at least shows an artists album at artist folder level when there is no folder.jpg directly in the album artist folder rather than just the default icon.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

18-04-2019, 17:51
MinimServer does not use the folder hierarchy for any semantic information. By this, I mean the treatment of the items in a folder does not vary depending on what is in the folder's parent folder and/or child folders. This was a deliberate design choice to make MinimServer neutral with respect to the folder hierarchy (i.e., not have a concept of "artist" or "genre" folders, etc.) while still providing access to the user's folder hierarchy via "folder view" browsing.

In your example screenshot, it is simple to add the "missing" images by putting folder.jpg files in the folders that don't have an image.
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2019, 21:58 (This post was last modified: 19-04-2019 08:05 by paultaylor.)
(18-04-2019 17:51)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer does not use the folder hierarchy for any semantic information. By this, I mean the treatment of the items in a folder does not vary depending on what is in the folder's parent folder and/or child folders. This was a deliberate design choice to make MinimServer neutral with respect to the folder hierarchy
I can certainly see the appeal of the neutral folder hierachy, there are some definite advantages with it.

Although my experience with tagging has made me firmly believe that it usually makes sense to store music in the form artist/album and then use tags to represent music in the other ways you might want to view this. The reason being that music is always sold in the form of artist/release (where release can be album, single etc) and therefore if you want to check the integrity of your music collection it is much easier if you have defined album folders that remain even if your metadata is messed up.

(18-04-2019 17:51)simoncn Wrote:  In your example screenshot, it is simple to add the "missing" images by putting folder.jpg files in the folders that don't have an image.
I could easily modify SongKong to add an album cover as an artist folder.jpg when no artist image could be found, but I don't want to do this since I am then creating wrong data. Okay, nevermind it was just a minor idea.