Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
minimWatch not launching on latest java
30-03-2019, 10:31 (This post was last modified: 31-03-2019 06:39 by zarashi.)
minimWatch not launching on latest java
It seems like minimWatch cannot launch if it is on latest java.
I have looked into launcher script and modified it as below so that I can skip the version check, however it does not launch saying "JRELoadError" dialog.
Code:
--- MinimLaunchScript_before    2017-12-14 07:12:02.000000000 +0900
+++ MinimLaunchScript_after     2019-03-30 18:17:00.000000000 +0900
@@ -11,15 +11,11 @@
     exit
fi

-JAVAFILE="/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java"
-if [ -x "${JAVAFILE}" ]; then
-    JAVAVERSION=$("${JAVAFILE}" -version 2>&1 | awk 'NR==1{print $3}')
-    JAVAVER="${JAVAVERSION:1:3}"
-else
-    JAVAVER=""
-fi
+JAVAFILE="/usr/bin/java"
+/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7+ 1>/dev/null 2>&1
+JAVA_COMPAT=$?

-if [ "${JAVAVER}" = "" -o "${JAVAVER}" = "1.6" -o "${JAVAVER}" = "1.5" -o "${JAVAVER}" = "1.4" ]; then
+if ! [[ $JAVA_COMPAT != 0 ]]; then
     MESSAGE="To run MinimWatch, you need to download and install Java 7 or later. Download Java now?"
     LINE1="set iconFile to (\"${DIRNAME}/../Resources/minimwatch.icns\") as POSIX file"
     LINE2="tell app \"SystemUIServer\" to display dialog \"${MESSAGE}\" with icon iconFile with title \"MinimWatch Launch Error\""

I have also tried symlinking the Internet-Plugin java_home directory as below, but it turned out to be the same result; getting "JRELoadError" dialog.
Code:
sudo mkdir -p "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/"
sudo ln -s $(/usr/libexec/java_home) "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home"

I am using latest java installed through `brew cask install java`
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2019, 20:12
RE: minimWatch not launching on latest java
It works with no need to modify or symlink anything if you install Java by following the instructions in this section.
01-04-2019, 16:51
I see.
The instruction however is linked to Java 8. Is MinimServer only working on Java 8, not on later versions?
01-04-2019, 20:21 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2019 20:37 by simoncn.)
MinimServer and MinimWatch can run on the latest Java version 12 and all earlier versions from version 7 onwards.

Unfortunately, the latest Java installer for macOS is using a different install location than the location used by version 8. This requires changes to the MinimServer and MinimWatch install packages for macOS. These changes are not simple as the MinimServer/MinimWatch install packages for macOS have various complex dependencies on the Java install location and installation structure. Also, the MinimServer/MinimWatch install packages need to continue to work with Java 8 as well as supporting the current Java version. I will work on making these changes but at this stage I cannot say when the updated MinimServer/MinimWatch install packages for macOS will be available.

In the interim, it is possible to have Java 8 installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home for use by MinimServer and MinimWatch and also have the latest Java installed in the new location for use by other Java applications.
02-04-2019, 16:18
Thank you for detailed information. I now understood what were the issues. With that said it seems like I can workaround with launching MinimWatch with Java 8 while having latest Java on my path. Thank you for your support.
19-04-2019, 07:23
> In the interim, it is possible to have Java 8 installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home for use by MinimServer and MinimWatch and also have the latest Java installed in the new location for use by other Java applications

Unless the update of the packages is immanent, could you explain how to do this please?

Many thanks

Alan
19-04-2019, 09:58
You should install Java 8 as described in this section.
19-04-2019, 10:58
(19-04-2019 09:58)simoncn Wrote:  You should install Java 8 as described in this section.

I did that. I also tried uninstalling Java then reinstalling, but that made no difference. It appears to install the latest 1.8-211-12 version.

I move MinimWatch into the Applications folder and double click on it It comes up with the "application downloaded from the internet" warning. I hit continue and nothing happens. MinimWatch doesn't appear on the menu bar and doesn't show up on the Force Quit list.

What am I missing?
19-04-2019, 15:37
The version of Java 8 that you have installed using these instructions is correct for MinimWatch and MinimServer.

In your ~/Library/MinimWatch folder (note: ~/Library isn't the same as /Library), there should be a file named minimwatch-out.log. What does this file contain?
19-04-2019, 16:03
Afraid not. There was an old MinimWatch.log from an installation in 2015, and a MinimWatch.config. I deleted the ~Library/MinimWatch Folder but it didn't help.It wasn't recreated when I tried the install.

I'm running MacOs Mojave if that makes any difference.