Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent browsing: inconsistent behavior?
29-03-2019, 21:29
RE: Intelligent browsing: inconsistent behavior?
(29-03-2019 16:46)nbpf Wrote:  I have checked the section, thanks! Still, I do not think that I want to use groups, I have already populated a "work" tag with suitable values. I like the standard way albums that contain more than one work are displayed, I do not wont works to be wrapped in another container. The only thing that bugs me is the fact that, as explained in my previous post, certain album subsets are treated different from certain other album subsets. I think this is a programming error, don't you think so?

No, I don't think so. For your specific use case (using BubbleUPnP as the control point and wanting to play a group of tracks in sequence without using MinimServer's grouping feature), it doesn't work as you would like. In other cases where the selected tracks are part of one album but were not selected by browsing by Work and would not normally all be played in sequence, adding an extra container for the partial album to the browsing hierarchy would require an extra browsing step before being able to play any of the tracks and I am sure that some other users would not welcome this change.

It would be possible for MinimServer to show a partial album container in addition to the selected tracks but this adds clutter and redundancy for the normal use case (as described above) and would require the introduction of a new kind of browsing container (partial album plus album tracks) that appears nowhere else in MinimServer.

The metadata that MinimServer sends for the tracks is the same in both cases (with and without the intermediate partial album container) and it isn't clear to me why BubbleUPnP shows the album-like view with a play button in one case but not in the other case. I will contact the author of BubbleUPnP to ask him about this.

In summary, this a complex area with various design trade-offs for different browsing use cases. These trade-offs don't just affect the container structure that MinimServer sends to the control point but also produce different results with different control points because of differences in how these control points work. Given this, I don't think it is reasonable to describe the current behaviour as a programming error.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intelligent browsing: inconsistent behavior? - simoncn - 29-03-2019 21:29