Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compilations at end?
19-03-2019, 13:02 (This post was last modified: 19-03-2019 13:04 by redged.)
Compilations at end?
Hello all this is my first post so please be gentle!

I have sorted my collection of albums to show in exactly the order I want, except for one thing, I woukld like my compilations at the end of album list.

At present my albums are sorted first by artist (alphabetically), then each artists albums are sorted chronologically (oldest first).

Only problem (not really a problem but a bit of OCD!) is my various albums show up under v and not at at the very end like I would prefer.

Other than changing albumartist to somthing like 'zVarious Artists', is there another way too fix?

As always thanks in advance for any help

Ged
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2019, 21:23 (This post was last modified: 20-03-2019 10:45 by paultaylor.)
RE: Compilations at end?
(19-03-2019 13:02)redged Wrote:  Other than changing albumartist to somthing like 'zVarious Artists', is there another way too fix?
Hi Ged

Two suggestions that come to mind:

1. Configure a Sort Album Artist and set that to ZZZ for these Various Artists so they will be at the end, trouble is I think you would need sort album artist for all artists.

2. Configure an IsCompilation field then you can browse by compilation/non-compiltion at the top level, I describe a solution IsClassical that you could apply for this at http://blog.jthink.net/2017/06/minimserv...-9-is.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2019, 22:02
Thanks for your suggestions Paul, I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
20-03-2019, 00:11
You can use a tag update file to do this without needing to edit any tag values. The file should contain:

@ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
+ALBUMARTISTSORT=zzz

With this tag update file active, MinimServer will add the tag ALBUMARTISTSORT=zzz when scanning a file containing the tag ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists.

You also need to add AlbumArtistSort to itemTags so that MinimServer reads the AlbumArtistSort tag and you need to set the tagValue property to AlbumArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort} so that MinimServer uses the value zzz when sorting the album artist named "Various Artists".
20-03-2019, 10:51
Thanks Simon
20-03-2019, 17:03
(20-03-2019 00:11)simoncn Wrote:  You can use a tag update file to do this without needing to edit any tag values. The file should contain:

@ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
+ALBUMARTISTSORT=zzz

With this tag update file active, MinimServer will add the tag ALBUMARTISTSORT=zzz when scanning a file containing the tag ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists.

You also need to add AlbumArtistSort to itemTags so that MinimServer reads the AlbumArtistSort tag and you need to set the tagValue property to AlbumArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort} so that MinimServer uses the value zzz when sorting the album artist named "Various Artists".
Interesting, I did not realize that you could do this.

A couple of questions, in your example it would work as expected as long as you didn't actually have any ALBUMARTISTSORT tag fields in your files. If you did I assume they would then be used for sorting your files which would be fine if they all audio files had the field, but if some did and some did not then some files would use ALBUMARTISTSORT and some just ALBUMARTIST which would be confusing.

Use of zzz assumes all artists stored in English, there may be a better default then zzz that would work with all languages.
20-03-2019, 18:13 (This post was last modified: 20-03-2019 18:15 by simoncn.)
I don't see why it would be confusing for files with an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag to sort on that tag and for files without an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag to sort on the ALBUMARTIST value. It seems to me that the purpose of the ALBUMARTISTSORT tag is to provide a custom sort value in files where this is required by the user. Perhaps I have misunderstood your comment.

I agree with your comment about non-Latin languages. A Unicode character with a very large codepoint value could be used, perhaps this one: ?.

Edit: It looks like my attempt to paste codepoint U+2F9F4 didn't work. Sad
20-03-2019, 18:39
(20-03-2019 18:13)simoncn Wrote:  I don't see why it would be confusing for files with an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag to sort on that tag and for files without an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag to sort on the ALBUMARTIST value. It seems to me that the purpose of the ALBUMARTISTSORT tag is to provide a custom sort value in files where this is required by the user. Perhaps I have misunderstood your comment.

I agree with your comment about non-Latin languages. A Unicode character with a very large codepoint value could be used, perhaps this one: ?.

Edit: It looks like my attempt to paste codepoint U+2F9F4 didn't work. Sad
I mean in the context that they had ALBUMARTISTSORT set for some audio files, but not others and were not aware of this. Ideally ALBUMARTISTSORT should be set for every audio file to indicate sort order, even if this means in some cases it is the same value as ALBUMARTIST
20-03-2019, 19:00
I don't see any good reason for duplicating the ALBUMARTIST tags to ALBUMARTISTSORT (and other xxxSORT tags) when these are identical. This takes more processing time and uses more memory.

There might even be a value in not doing this duplication as it enables the user to see easily where the default sort value has been overridden (by putting the xxxSORT tag in indexTags).
20-03-2019, 19:47
(20-03-2019 19:00)simoncn Wrote:  I don't see any good reason for duplicating the ALBUMARTIST tags to ALBUMARTISTSORT (and other xxxSORT tags) when these are identical. This takes more processing time and uses more memory.

There might even be a value in not doing this duplication as it enables the user to see easily where the default sort value has been overridden (by putting the xxxSORT tag in indexTags).
I must disagree, the trouble with this approach is its difficult to determine if an artist doesn't have a sort album artist because the sort album artist is the same or just because the user hasn't got round to entering a sort album artist. And making this distinction for a growing music collection is unmanageable, a particular problem would be remembering to add the sort album artist as necessary when adding a new album by a particular artist.

The memory and processing costs would surely be marginal.