Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Figuring out Errors and Warnings in MinimServer Log
28-02-2019, 20:28
RE: Figuring out Errors and Warnings in MinimServer Log
06 is Grunge, so MinimServer is handling this correctly. The track should also appear in the Genre > Sacred list.

To check the ID3v2 tag type, open the file using Mp3tag and look in the Tag column.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2019, 00:11
The genre list contained within the ID3 wiki page may be of interest.
01-03-2019, 01:04
Quote:06 is Grunge, so MinimServer is handling this correctly. The track should also appear in the Genre > Sacred list.

To check the ID3v2 tag type, open the file using Mp3tag and look in the Tag column.

I now begin to understand what is happening.

I rip to FLAC and download FLAC files where possible. In some cases, I convert non-FLAC files (APE for example) to FLAC. Sometimes I download high-bit rate (256/320 kbps) MP3 files. It seems wrong to convert MP3 to FLAC so I leave them as MP3.

MusiCHI has a classical music Genre coding system of the form "(nn.mm) genrename" where nn is the the first level index and mm is the second level index. For example, "(03.05) Chamber Music > Quartet". In some cases where no second level index appeared appropriate, I have used just the first level index for example "(06) Sacred"

This is coded into the GENRE Tag for FLAC files. By default, it is also coded into the TCON Tag for MP3 files.

It appears that MinimServer searches the TCON string for an integer to be interpreted in accordance with the ID3 coding table. In the common case it finds say 03.05 and then throws a warning of the type
Warning: ID3v2 TCON frame has non-numeric genre index 03.05 at offset 353 in file....
In this case, I think MinimServer regards the track as being of no Genre. (Is ths correct?)
In the case "(06) Sacred", it finds the 06 and interprets it according to the table as Grunge. There is no WARNING. Sacred is not used.

I do not want the TCON codes used in this way.

Can I configure MinimServer to handle the TCON Tag as a string as I intend?

Alternatively, I could configure MusiCHI to code the Genre into another ID3 Tag. (TXYZ?). Could I then alias TXYZ to Genre without use of the TCON Genre table?
01-03-2019, 14:00
In ID3v2.3, the TCON format (nn) is interpreted as a numeric genre in accordance with the ID3v2.3 specification. As the ID3v2.3 specification requires this, it cannot be disabled in MinimServer.

The TCON format (nn.mm) used by MUSICHI is not compliant with the ID3v2.3 specification and there is no way to make MinimServer accept this value.

In ID3v2.4, the parenthesized value is not treated as a numeric genre code. This is because the ID3v2.4 specification uses a different format for numeric genre codes. However, you can't use Mp3tag to convert these ID3v2.3 TCON values "as is" to ID3v2.4 format because Mp3tag automatically converts "(nn" to a genre string when it reads the ID3v2.3 tag.

Your suggestion of configuring MUSICHI to encode the genre as some other tag such as as TXYZ and using aliasTags to map TXYZ to GENRE should work.

I have checked that MinimServer handles the ID3v2.3 TCON value "(06) Sacred" correctly as containing two genres Grunge and Sacred.
02-03-2019, 13:59
Quote:Your suggestion of configuring MUSICHI to encode the genre as some other tag such as as TXYZ and using aliasTags to map TXYZ to GENRE should work.

I have checked that MinimServer handles the ID3v2.3 TCON value "(06) Sacred" correctly as containing two genres Grunge and Sacred.

I stand corrected that for a single-level index (eg "(06) Sacred"), MinimServer codes two Genres for the tracks (Grunge; Sacred); there is no WARNING.

For a track with a two-level index Genre, e.g."(06.01) Sacred > Mass"}, Minimserver issues a WARNING and gives no Genre to the track. Thus the Genre is Unknown.

I'll contact the MusiCHI author for advice on how to change the GENRE Tag for MP3 files. I can see that some support is already there.

Another point: I have a few MP3 tracks with an ALBUM ARTIST tag (with a space). Configuring ALBUMARTIST:nil does not mean that this Tag is ignored. But MinimServer seems to be treating it as the same as ALBUMARTIST and it throws a WARNING
WARNING: conflicting ALBUM ARTIST values ignored for album Bach........

Should I configure ALBUM ARTIST:nil (with a space) to have the Tag ignored?

Thanks for your support.
02-03-2019, 19:21
ALBUM ARTIST is an older name for ALBUMARTIST. To ignore these tags, you need to set ALBUM ARTIST:nil. If you don't do this, MinimServer treats this tag as if it were an ALBUMARTIST tag unless the file also has an ALBUMARTIST tag, in which case the ALBUM ARTIST tag is ignored.