Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best client for macOS / iOS?
01-03-2019, 15:40 (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 15:41 by paultaylor.)
RE: Best client for macOS / iOS?
(26-02-2019 17:01)lyapounov Wrote:  
(26-02-2019 01:41)Alandbush Wrote:  If you are running Roon on your NAS, that suggests it’s an Intel cpu, in which case SongKong might also be capable of running on the NAS.
Check out this List of compatible Synology devices.

Ah yes, I remember, this what I should have done. Yes, I have a ds418play ... Will try songkong ! thx Alan
Thanks guys, SongKong is available for most Intel Synology Nas machines, and most Intel and Arm Qnaps as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2019, 16:02
The UPnP protocol doesn't provide a way for a server to send images for artist, composer, etc. The server can supply images for the selections in the Artist browsing container (similar for Composer, etc.) and all good UPnP control points would display these images when viewing this container.

The UPnP protocol also doesn't provide a standard way for a server to send URLs for release information, etc. MinimServer is doing this in a nonstandard way for PDF booklets but very few control points are able to handle this.

This means the limitations you have described are a result of limitations of the UPnP protocol rather than shortcomings of UPnP control points. This protocol was designed in 2001 and would greatly benefit from a revision to enable additional metadata to be sent in a standard way.
Find all posts by this user
01-03-2019, 17:08
(01-03-2019 16:02)simoncn Wrote:  This means the limitations you have described are a result of limitations of the UPnP protocol rather than shortcomings of UPnP control points.
Thanks for the info, okay I will rephrase it then the current UPnP experience is a bit lacking.
02-03-2019, 06:46
(01-03-2019 17:08)paultaylor Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 16:02)simoncn Wrote:  This means the limitations you have described are a result of limitations of the UPnP protocol rather than shortcomings of UPnP control points.
Thanks for the info, okay I will rephrase it then the current UPnP experience is a bit lacking.

Is the implication of this that OpenHome is better? I know it's based on UPnP, but does that mean it'll always be lacking? Or does it overcome those limitations?
Being a Linn user, I have never found the experience lacking. I do have UPnP renders (TV, Denon etc.) and I have to say I hate the way they work in comparison.
02-03-2019, 09:33
The main advantage of OpenHome is that the playing queue is held in the renderer. In standard UPnP, the playing queue is held in the control point.

Other differences you are seeing are caused by the implementation of the Linn control point you are using (presumably Kazoo). When Kazoo is used with MinimServer, it is subject to the limitations of the UPnP protocol. When Kazoo is used with Kazoo Server, a proprietary Linn protocol is used instead.
04-03-2019, 11:31
(02-03-2019 09:33)simoncn Wrote:  When Kazoo is used with MinimServer, it is subject to the limitations of the UPnP protocol. When Kazoo is used with Kazoo Server, a proprietary Linn protocol is used instead.
Did not know this, I would be interested to know what additional features Kazoo Server adds to Kazoo.
04-03-2019, 11:52 (This post was last modified: 04-03-2019 12:02 by simoncn.)
The manual is here. There is no documentation for the proprietary protocol. It is difficult to get more information now that the Linn forum has closed. Sad