Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various Artists / Compilations - Artist for each track
26-04-2012, 15:28
Various Artists / Compilations - Artist for each track
Hi

all my compilations that are tagged with an album artist of "various artists" but with each track having its own artist aren't showing up in the album/track listing as expected. see the attached screenshot     of kinsky. every track is displayed with an artist of "various artists" (which is the album artist), but instead i would expect to see the real artist of each track. the metadata of the track looks like the following:
Code:
METADATA block #1
  type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
  is last: false
  length: 245
  vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
  comments: 8
    comment[0]: TITLE=Turlich, Turlich (Sicher, Dicker)
    comment[1]: ARTIST=Das Bo
    comment[2]: ALBUM=Bravo Hits, Vol. 30 (Disc 2)
    comment[3]: ALBUM ARTIST=Various Artists
    comment[4]: TRACKNUMBER=1
    comment[5]: PERFORMER=K Wiens
    comment[6]: GENRE=Pop/Rock
    comment[7]: DATE=2000 10 31

is this a bug or just another interpretation of the metadata?

thanks
KoS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2012, 16:19
RE: Various Artists / Compilations - Artist for each track
Thanks for pointing this out. It's a bug. Sad

The intended behaviour is for these tracks to appear under "Various Artists" in the Artist index, but to appear under their tagged artist names in the All Artists index and in the album items list.

I'll fix this in the next release of MinimServer.
26-04-2012, 16:52
Thumbs Up RE: Various Artists / Compilations - Artist for each track
(26-04-2012 16:19)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for pointing this out. It's a bug. Sad

The intended behaviour is for these tracks to appear under "Various Artists" in the Artist index, but to appear under their tagged artist names in the All Artists index and in the album items list.

I'll fix this in the next release of MinimServer.

thanks!
07-06-2012, 09:28
I notice this bug too. Good to hear fix is coming.

On the other hand, I have non vocal albums with no artist on tracks. And albums with vocal tracks and off vocal tracks. For those albums I tag the correct artist for those vocal tracks, and let the track artist blank on off vocal tracks. Then I tag a Album Artist on the whole album (all tracks).

I found that using Asset UPnP server, also foobar200 UPnP server, they will always use Album Artist to fill in a blank track artist. Twonky will also fill in a blank track artist, with a fixed string "Unknown"!

For now, due to the bug, minimServer will always return Album Artist as track artist on all tracks in a album. In the fixed version, I want minimServer to NOT fill in a track artist as the Album Artist, even though a track has no track artist. Simply let a blank track artist as is.
07-06-2012, 14:04
(07-06-2012 09:28)psme Wrote:  For now, due to the bug, minimServer will always return Album Artist as track artist on all tracks in a album. In the fixed version, I want minimServer to NOT fill in a track artist as the Album Artist, even though a track has no track artist. Simply let a blank track artist as is.

The next release of MinimServer will do this for tracks with blank artists. I created a "blank artist" track and played it using Kinsky, and there is no artist information shown in the Kinsky window.
16-07-2012, 11:24
works like expected, thanks a lot!