Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS Choice
04-02-2019, 11:51
NAS Choice
Hi,
I currently run Minimserver on a Win2008r2 server, and it run well.
I use transcode (FFMPEG) to stream FLAC to WAV.

Today I *may* move to a NAS as I need to re-install Win2008r2, and it's a pity. In this purpose, can you please advice the *good* choice in NAS ?

I think I'll buy a 2 bays NAS, Syno or Qnap... But there are to many models available, and I don't know there hardware capacities for transcode and stream.

Thank in advance.
Manu
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2019, 16:28 (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 16:28 by aliasname.)
RE: NAS Choice
Consider that besides running MS if you once got a NAS 100 other nice things will spring to mind it could be used for. If only running something such as photostation or acting as a cloudserver with space limited by the storage you attached.
Got a DS416play .... fine for 2 endpoints running while running the other stuff in the background. But this also depends upon you network setup at home, and the number or poeple trying to access stuff stored on the NAS. If being asked nowadays I would go for a faster one with more but 4 bays.
06-02-2019, 19:37
I have two QNAP HS-251+ units (in different locations). I am not really a techie in any sense, but I found them relatively easy to set up (when I did have an issue, early on, the QNAP support team were very helpful). One syncs music and photographs with my laptop. The other syncs via Microsoft OneDrive and is a mirror of the first.

The units are totally silent and generate very little heat (one resides in a sideboard). They can be accessed over the internet, if necessary.

Streaming and transcoding are perfect.

I modestly regret not getting a four bay NAS, but two bays are sufficient for now.
06-02-2019, 21:07
I also have an HS-251+. It is essential for me that my NAS is silent as I am very sensitive to fan noise and HDD noise. I have put two quiet 2TB 2.5 inch HDDs in it and I hear no noise from a distance of about 70 cm. It is fast enough for anything I need to do and I am very pleased with it.
26-02-2019, 18:58
Thank to every one. I finally bought a Syno DS918+ (4 disks). All operate well.
27-02-2019, 00:47
(26-02-2019 18:58)lafuente Wrote:  Thank to every one. I finally bought a Syno DS918+ (4 disks). All operate well.

Looks interesting, but more than most users would need - is it silent?
01-03-2019, 09:23
(26-02-2019 18:58)lafuente Wrote:  Thank to every one. I finally bought a Syno DS918+ (4 disks). All operate well.

Yes, a good choice. I've looked at this model as a potential replacement for the DS 412+ I've been using for 5 years. The '+' models give higher processor power so no problems with transcoding to WAV the ALAC files I store in my library.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model