Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playlist loading issues: very slow or very fast depending on where I tap "Play"
24-01-2019, 22:00
Playlist loading issues: very slow or very fast depending on where I tap "Play"
Hi,
I am using minimserverusing BubbleUPnP as the control point and a Sonore urendu as the renderer. I would like to present a use case which gave me a lot of headaches, as it made me wrongly suspect the sanity of my network connections.

First the context. To manage big boxsets with a great number of discs, I use a Boxset tag to identify all tracks of a boxset, and a BoxSetDiscNum tag to identify tracks of each album number within the boxset. As an example, the Jascha Heifetz "Complete Album Collection" boxset (104 discs) released by Sony in 2010 is tagged as follows:

Boxset = Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection (Sony 2010) for all tracks of the boxset
BoxsetDiscNum = 001 - Beethoven: Violin Sonata No.1 & No.2 for all tracks of boxset disc 1
BoxsetDiscNum = 002 - Beethoven:Violin Sonata No.5 for all tracks of boxset disc 2
etc...

As expected, when browsing my library using BubbleUPnP, I am presented with a Boxset index level which lists all the boxset titles. Under each boxset title there is a BoxsetDiscNum index level which lists all the discs in the boxset.

My issue is the following. When I navigate for ex. to :
Code:
Boxset
  > Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection (Sony 2010)
    > BoxsetDiscNum
      > 089-092 - The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934

there is a 3 vertical dots icon at the right of the 089-092 - The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934 line which gives access to a Play choice. If I tap this Play choice to play the album, the Adding to playlist message is activated. The loading phase eventually succeeds, but this seems to take forever, sometimes more than a minute. I have seen cases where the process even times out.

If instead I simply tap the album line, the usual album page is shown with the artwork at top and all relevant index levels shown under. Tapping the 3 vertical dots icon at the top right opens a menu with a Play choice to play the album. This time, loading the playlist is almost instantaneous and playback starts within less than a second.

I activated the minimserver trace logging level to track each of the above cases, which are attached to this post as a zip archive holding a trace for each case.

File VerySlowLoading.log covers the steps for the first case, eg the one leading to very slow loading times. I had to cancel the log after a few seconds, as the log was rapidly filling with a flurry of messages, and eventually overflowed (had to repeat the experiment a few times to avoid loosing the start of the log).

File VeryFastLoading.log covers the steps for the second case, the one with very fast loading times. It holds everything beginning with the album selection up to the playlist starting to play.

What do you think ? Is this an issue with BubbleUPP, minimserver, my renderer, or a combination of some ?

Regards,

Attached File(s)
.zip  minimloadingissues.zip (Size: 32.62 KB / Downloads: 3)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2019, 23:03
RE: Playlist loading issues: very slow or very fast depending on where I tap "Pla...
The container "089-092 - The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934" has the following subcontainers:

The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934 [Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection # 89-92]
All Artists
Composer
Conductor
Date
Composition

When you select Play for the "089-092 - The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934" container, BubbleUPnP is recursively loading everything in these subcontainers and the subcontainers of the subcontainers, etc., etc. This is an extremely large amount of loading and takes a very long time.

The solution is to select Play for the album subcontainer "The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934 [Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection # 89-92]". This container has no subcontainers, just the album tracks, and these can be loaded very quickly.
25-01-2019, 00:47
RE: Playlist loading issues: very slow or very fast depending on where I tap "Pla...
(24-01-2019 23:03)simoncn Wrote:  The container "089-092 - The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934" has the following subcontainers:

The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934 [Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection # 89-92]
All Artists
Composer
Conductor
Date
Composition

When you select Play for the "089-092 - The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934" container, BubbleUPnP is recursively loading everything in these subcontainers and the subcontainers of the subcontainers, etc., etc. This is an extremely large amount of loading and takes a very long time.

The solution is to select Play for the album subcontainer "The Heifetz Collection Volume 3 1925-1934 [Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection # 89-92]". This container has no subcontainers, just the album tracks, and these can be loaded very quickly.

Thanks Simon. I have been using minimserver for many years, and I now realize that I never really paid attention to what a subcontainer hierarchy really was, and its significance regarding browsing efficiency. In retrospect, this was a newbie question. Thanks for taking time to answer me so instructively.
Regards