Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track artists in compilations (Again)
21-08-2013, 00:09
RE: Track artists in compilations (Again)
(20-08-2013 23:50)vln Wrote:  Could you elaborate - what is the syntax and which field do I use it on?

You would need to use an external tagging program such as Mp3tag to add TitleArtist tags to all the tracks of your compilation albums. The value of the TitleArtist tag would be the track artist for that individual track (i.e., the same value as the Artist tag).

Quote:Given that iTunes offers an Album Artist field, wouldn't that be ideal to use for compilations - i.e. enter 'Various Artists' (or whatever generic name you want for compilations) there, and then associate AlbumArtist in MinimServer to this value, and then use

Title.displayFormat={$titleartist^^ - ^$title}

on these (and only these) albums?

Setting the AlbumArtist value is the easy part. The difficult part is getting track artists to show in the titles of tracks from compilation albums without also showing them in the titles of tracks from non-compilation albums.

This is difficult because MinimServer doesn't have any way to apply a format setting to some albums and not apply it to other albums.

The only way round this at present is to apply the format setting to all albums and change the tagging of compilation albums so that the format setting does the right thing when applied to both compilation albums and non-compilation albums.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 14:22
(08-07-2013 19:38)simoncn Wrote:  [quote='simoncn' pid='2558' dateline='1363870306']

This feature is available in 0.72. To enable it, add the setting

-AlbumArtist.display.artistRole

to the tagCustom property. This will cause all AlbumArtist tag information to be removed from the track data sent to the control point.

Sorry for what may be a dumb question. Currently the setting I have in tagCustom field is: Composer.displayRole={artist}, have also used {author}. Can -AlbumArtist.display.artistRole be added to this? Can there be more than one setting be in the tagCustom field? I do not understand much about this programing but I do know that MinimServe on my QNAP NAS works great.
02-09-2013, 18:33
(02-09-2013 14:22)kirkpg Wrote:  Sorry for what may be a dumb question. Currently the setting I have in tagCustom field is: Composer.displayRole={artist}, have also used {author}. Can -AlbumArtist.display.artistRole be added to this? Can there be more than one setting be in the tagCustom field? I do not understand much about this programing but I do know that MinimServe on my QNAP NAS works great.

The tagCustom property can have a comma-separated list of settings. See this section for more details of how to use this property.