Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hassle-free audio URL player?
03-01-2019, 13:30
Hassle-free audio URL player?
My basic setup consists of MinimServer/Streamer running on QNAP NASs with a variety of networked renderers, the most-used being Volumio on a Raspberry Pi, and controllers on various Android devices, the most-used being BubbleUPnP. This is fine for 90% of the time, listening to live internet radio streams, ripped cds and saved/downloaded recordings. Occasionally however, I want to listen to an audio source on the web, eg an item from the BBC website or iPlayerRadio (I'm resisting the move to the new "Sounds" for as long as I can) and it's always a hassle. One of my Android devices, an old Nexus tablet, is rooted, and I can therefore use the audio cast feature of BubbleUPnP, but it's not satisfactory as there are often glitches in the wifi transmission and I nearly always have to reboot Volumio afterwards in order to resume "normal" (for me) live radio listening via MinimServer/Streamer. Another option would be to bypass Android altogether and "forward" or "relay" web audio from my linux desktop to one of my renderers, but I haven't yet discovered a way of doing that - almost all the information and apps available seem to assume one is either streaming live broadcasts, services such as Spotify or stored (locally or remotely) media.

So I've come here to find out what others do, knowing I'll find knowledgeable audio enthusiasts who will also be gentle if they have to tell me I'm missing something unbelievably obvious!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2019, 10:36
RE: Hassle-free audio URL player?
An interesting question and I have found that there is a solution for windows "receivers"
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/?source=swyh

I've tried it with BBC I-Player radio streamed to a Technics Ottava renderer and it works correctly. There is some control over the quality of stream too. I don't know if you can find anything similar for Raspberry Pi running Linux though.
10-01-2019, 14:00
(09-01-2019 10:36)roadster Wrote:  An interesting question and I have found that there is a solution for windows "receivers"
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/?source=swyh

I've tried it with BBC I-Player radio streamed to a Technics Ottava renderer and it works correctly. There is some control over the quality of stream too. I don't know if you can find anything similar for Raspberry Pi running Linux though.

Thanks for your interest and the link. I had come across SWYH and thought about testing it on a virtual Windows machine, but decided that also would involve too much hassle in the long term, so continued my search for a native linux solution. Over the Christmas/new year period I discovered there is a solution: pulseaudio-dlna. (http://www.webupd8.org/2016/03/how-to-st...st-or.html) This is now installed on my Manjaro desktop (the RPi runs Volumio as a renderer and I don't want to change that) and works well. I recommend it.
29-03-2019, 14:41
Hello,

is there something similar for Mac OS? Many internet radio stations do not support playlists anymore, but only offer an embedded player on their website. How can I redirect those audio to a renderer?

Kind regards
steamfan