Poll: Are interested to have an Artist Disply Order option?
Yes
Ne
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexible Artist Display Order
01-04-2013, 07:29 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:40 by ruckmann.)
Flexible Artist Display Order
Dear Simon,

first of all I like to say, that minimserver is a great software and I am absolutely happy to have it available. As a real lover of classical music I am owning a huge collection of cds (more the 3000), all of them meanwhile ripped and stored on a NAS.

My concern is the following. Minimserver uses the following tags to be displayed as artist information:
- Artist (usually used for soloist)
- Orchestra
- Conductor

In order to differentiate different kind of ensembles, I have introduced additional artist tags, e.g.
- Band (for pop and jazz band, also for small chamber ensembles)
- Chorus

This allows me to use the orchestra tag for real orchestras only. Unfortunately, those additional artist tags are not shown as artist information sent to the streaming client. Therefore the following proposal.

I would like to have a minimserver property "Artist Display Order" or simply "Artist Order" triggering minimserver to show artist information in a configurable order, e.g.

Artist, Band, Chorus, Orchestra, Conductor (my preferred one).

The standard order created by minimserver up to version 0.63 then would be

Conductor, Artist, Orchestra

which could be the default configuration setting in order to keep minimserver compatible with previous versions.

I am looking forword to hearing from you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 09:16 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 09:39 by Dieter Stockert.)
RE: Flexible Artist Display Order
All of that would be no problem if the music server software would allow me to switch to an expert mode where it would read every tag of a collection (no matter if it were standard tags or self defined), then show me a list of these tags where I could turn the entries off and on for appearing on the control app (just waiting for control apps to be able to support this) and change the sort order (like within playlists in Kinsky), and finally let me create 'calculated' tags where I can say that for example "if tag a has a certain value then display tag b otherwise display tag c" or "combine tag a plus space plus tag b" or "display artist name but without a leading 'The'".

Maybe I'm dreaming but things like that (and being able to make small corrections of tags) are what I would expect from a really professional music server app.
01-04-2013, 09:20
(01-04-2013 07:29)ruckmann Wrote:  I would like to have a minimserver property "Artist Display Order" or simply "Artist Order" triggering minimserver to show artist information in a configurable order, e.g.

Artist, Band, Chorus, Orchestra, Conductor (my preferred one).

Thanks for this suggestion. The next release of MinimServer will have a new tagFormat property that can do exactly what you have described. It will also be possible to use tagFormat to do similar customizations of other displayed values such as album titles and track titles, as well as customizing the information shown in the Artist index.
01-04-2013, 09:25
(01-04-2013 09:16)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  All of that would be no problem if the music server software would allow me to switch to an expert mode where it would read every tag of a collection (no matter if it were standard tags or self defined), then show me a list of these tags where I could turn the entries off and on for appearing on the control app (just waiting for control apps to be ale to support this) and change the sort order (like playlists in Kinsky), and finally let me create 'calculated' tags where I can say that for example "if tag a has a certain value then display tag b otherwise display tag c" or "combine tag a plus space plus tag b" or "display artist name but without a leading 'The'".

Maybe I'm dreaming but things like that (and being able to make small corrections of tags) are what I would expect from a really professional music server app.

The next release of MinimServer will be a step towards what you are describing. It won't do if/then/else, but it will allow you to combine multiple tag values using customized formatting.
01-04-2013, 09:40
Thank you Simon. I appreciate your permanent working and improving on MinimServer very much.
01-04-2013, 11:36 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:50 by ruckmann.)
Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I am glad to hear, that you are already working on this topic in more general and faregoing way. Hopefully, the whole matter will not get too complex. My idea was to keep it as simple as possible.

Another use case coming into my mind is to have the option add the Year tag value to the Album value, because I like to see quickly, when an album was released, e.g. in the format Album (Year). As I understand you, this will be supported by your approach.
01-04-2013, 11:45
(01-04-2013 11:36)ruckmann Wrote:  Hi Simon, Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I am glad to hear, that you are working on this topic in more general and faregoing way. Can you already give an indication when the new version incorporing this new feature is going to be available?

It should be available on Monday 8th April.