Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about my config...
11-12-2018, 19:42 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 22:48 by aspaceintime.)
question about my config...
I was able to get minimstreamer working on my setup after many tests. I have an instance on MinimServer on my Synology NAS DS212j. I use a Marantz SR 6010 and an Oppo 203 as my players. I have several radio playlists that finally work; Here's my stream transcode ; aac:L16/wav24/- , *:L16/wav24/-
On all the radio streams I have, it plays as PCM.

My question - Is this the most effective way to play these streams? I looked at the info button on my Oppo while a radio stream was play and the file size was enormous. If I have a blank stream transcode, nothing plays. Not sure what would be the best sounding setup with my gear.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2018, 22:46
RE: question about my config...
Your present configuration is fine. A slight tweak could be to change the order so that wav24 appears before L16 but it is possible that this might cause problems with some renderers.

The "enormous file size" can occur with WAV transcoding because a WAV stream needs to specify a length in its header. MinimStreamer sets this by default to the maximum length possible (4 GB) so that you have the greatest possible uninterrupted listening time. This doesn't consume any resources on the server or the renderer if you are playing the stream for a shorter period of time. An L16 stream doesn't have a header, so you shouldn't see any file size for L16 streams unless this is being added by the renderer.
11-12-2018, 23:27 (This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 23:29 by aspaceintime.)
(11-12-2018 23:25)aspaceintime Wrote:  [quote='simoncn' pid='31989' dateline='1544564803']
Your present configuration is fine. A slight tweak could be to change the order so that wav24 appears before L16 but it is possible that this might cause problems with some renderers.

The "enormous file size" can occur with WAV transcoding because a WAV stream needs to specify a length in its header. MinimStreamer sets this by default to the maximum length possible (4 GB) so that you have the greatest possible uninterrupted listening time. This doesn't consume any resources on the server or the renderer if you are playing the stream for a shorter period of time. An L16 stream doesn't have a header, so you shouldn't see any file size for L16 streams unless this is being added by the renderer.
Thanks for the info; I left it as-is.
On another note, I can't get the attached BBC files to work. I found the URL's in these forums but no luck in getting them to work.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  BBC Not Working.pdf (Size: 18.35 KB / Downloads: 18)
12-12-2018, 10:48
I am investigating this BBC problem and I will post back later when I have more information. Thanks for letting me know about this.
12-12-2018, 18:39
(12-12-2018 10:48)simoncn Wrote:  I am investigating this BBC problem and I will post back later when I have more information. Thanks for letting me know about this.
Ok, thanks Simon.

I have a process question regarding the playlists....
I have directory in my music folder called playlists and they have the m3u8 extension. I noticed that in the NAS MinimServer folder, copies of the playlists exist as well.

When I edit the lists, should I edit in the MinimServer folder and then drag the files to the playlist folder, or should I edit in the playlist folder and then drag back to the NAS MinimServer directory? I noticed that there are versions in the NAS directory.
12-12-2018, 21:04
I don't know why there are copies of your playlists in the NAS MinimServer folder. MinimServer has not created these copies. The only playlist files that MinimServer is reading are those in your music folder. I suggest you delete the copies and watch to see if they come back again.

The problem with BBC streams is caused by a combination of the way your renderer requests these streams and a problem in MinimStreamer. I suspect there might also have been a recent change to the BBC server that could be another factor. I will make a change in the next MinimStreamer update that should get these streams working again.
18-12-2018, 21:59
I have sent you a PM with details of a test build with a fix for this problem.
20-01-2019, 23:23
The fix for the problem with playing the HLS versions of the BBC streams is now available in MinimStreamer 0.7.11.
10-11-2019, 14:16
Recently, my UK FLAC streams have stopped working. Not sure what has happened, but I did enjoy listening to them. Here's my playlist data and my stream transcode info; any help would be most appreciated...

Stream Transcode = aac:L16/wav24/- , *:L16/wav24/-;

Attached File(s)
.pdf  FLAC Absolute UK Radio OCT.pdf (Size: 16.89 KB / Downloads: 7)
10-11-2019, 18:20 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2019 18:21 by simoncn.)
The stream URLs you are using are redirecting to a location that is returning a "not found" error. I suggest you contact Absolute Radio to ask if they have changed their stream URLs.