Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certain tracks not available
18-03-2013, 12:41 (This post was last modified: 18-03-2013 12:41 by ahl032.)
Certain tracks not available
Hi there. I am a new user of MinimServer and have become so to escape the gravitational pull of iTunes. On my Mac I am using Swinsian and on my Android devices I am using BubbleUPnP. I have noticed that, since I have moved my music library on my Mac, that only some tracks within an album, all of which I know to be there in Swinsian, for example, and are certainly visible within the Finder, are not visible on BubbleUPnP. Being new to this, I am wondering what I should be looking for to solve this problem -- for example, inadmissable characters or spaces in the file name, permissions, etc? Is it a MinimServer problem or something to do with BubbleUPnP? Typically, I use FLAC files but generally the library has an assortment of file formats.

My apologies if this is rather basic, but thank you in advance for any pointers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2013, 12:50
RE: Certain tracks not available
(18-03-2013 12:41)ahl032 Wrote:  Hi there. I am a new user of MinimServer and have become so to escape the gravitational pull of iTunes. On my Mac I am using Swinsian and on my Android devices I am using BubbleUPnP. I have noticed that, since I have moved my music library on my Mac, that only some tracks within an album, all of which I know to be there in Swinsian, for example, and are certainly visible within the Finder, are not visible on BubbleUPnP. Being new to this, I am wondering what I should be looking for to solve this problem -- for example, inadmissable characters or spaces in the file name, permissions, etc? Is it a MinimServer problem or something to do with BubbleUPnP? Typically, I use FLAC files but generally the library has an assortment of file formats.

My apologies if this is rather basic, but thank you in advance for any pointers.

This usually means you have a mismatch between the platform default character set and the character set that your filenames are using.

You can see the platform default character set by doing the following:

1) From the minim icon in the menu bar, select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level from Info to Verbose
3) Leave the log window open
4) From the minim icon in the menu bar, select 'Restart'
5) In the log window, you'll see a message about the platform default charset. What does this say?
18-03-2013, 13:11
(18-03-2013 12:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-03-2013 12:41)ahl032 Wrote:  Hi there. I am a new user of MinimServer and have become so to escape the gravitational pull of iTunes. On my Mac I am using Swinsian and on my Android devices I am using BubbleUPnP. I have noticed that, since I have moved my music library on my Mac, that only some tracks within an album, all of which I know to be there in Swinsian, for example, and are certainly visible within the Finder, are not visible on BubbleUPnP. Being new to this, I am wondering what I should be looking for to solve this problem -- for example, inadmissable characters or spaces in the file name, permissions, etc? Is it a MinimServer problem or something to do with BubbleUPnP? Typically, I use FLAC files but generally the library has an assortment of file formats.

This usually means you have a mismatch between the platform default character set and the character set that your filenames are using.

5) In the log window, you'll see a message about the platform default charset. What does this say?

Thanks for the reply. I'll check this out when I get home later and let you know what the results are.
18-03-2013, 14:41
(18-03-2013 13:11)ahl032 Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. I'll check this out when I get home later and let you know what the results are.

I've been doing some further investigation, and it turns out that Java on Mac OS X sets the platform default charset value to MacRoman even though the actual default charset for Mac OS X is UTF-8.

This means I will need to change the MinimServer application launcher for Mac OS X to explicitly set the correct value of UTF-8.

I'll send you a PM with a link to a test build that you can use to verify whether this fixes the problem you are seeing with missing tracks.
19-03-2013, 00:49
(18-03-2013 12:50)simoncn Wrote:  

It says UTF-8
19-03-2013, 03:23
(19-03-2013 00:49)ahl032 Wrote:  It says UTF-8

I presume this is using the test build that I sent you. Does the test build solve the problem with missing tracks?
21-03-2013, 22:49
(19-03-2013 03:23)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 00:49)ahl032 Wrote:  It says UTF-8

I presume this is using the test build that I sent you. Does the test build solve the problem with missing tracks?

Sorry for the delay in replying -- various crises have distracted me. To answer your question, the test build appeared to make no difference, but, having said that, I'd like to go back to testing it again just to be sure. And yes, you presume correctly. Thank you again.
21-03-2013, 23:01
(21-03-2013 22:49)ahl032 Wrote:  Sorry for the delay in replying -- various crises have distracted me. To answer your question, the test build appeared to make no difference, but, having said that, I'd like to go back to testing it again just to be sure. And yes, you presume correctly. Thank you again.

Where did the tracks come from before you moved your music library to the Mac? If the filenames or folder names aren't encoded in UTF-8, you'll have this problem with missing tracks. For example, if the tracks were previously on Windows, their filenames may be encoded using Windows-1252 or similar.