Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracks appearing in ‘groups’ they don’t belong to
27-11-2018, 00:19
Tracks appearing in ‘groups’ they don’t belong to
Synology/bubble upnp/naim kit/naim&kazoo&lumin software.
I use mix of wav & flac. I edit tags with kid3 on a Mac.
I’m at latest version of all software on all platforms.
I use my own named tag to represent my favourite tracks - 5 is high 1 is low. In minimserver preferences I specify the relevant parameters. These render fine in all the above software and they appear in a group which I call rating. Selecting that group shows 5 subgroups; labelled 5,4,3,2, 1. Within each sub-group tracks are listed if they have been tagged with that sub-group’s value.
For 2 years this has worked without issue. The other day I found tracks in the sub-group 5 that are not tagged at all, so they should only appear in the default sub-group called unknown. The same is true for the other subgroups. What it is odd is that a who;e album of tracks without any track tagged as a ‘5’ appeared in the sub-group ‘5’. There weren’t many, but they seemed to be random. When I edit the offending tracks in kid3 it shows they are not tagged to be in the group.; just checking if I had not changed by mistake. By changing any other tag, saving it in kid3 and then rescanning in minimserver, the track disappears from the sub-group. It’s not the rendering software as all three of the above show exactly the same offending tracks. So I am working my way backwards. Any help welcome thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2018, 07:10
RE: Tracks appearing in ‘groups’ they don’t belong to
Is the tag you are using for this named RATING? Does the problem affect FLAC files, WAV files or both?
27-11-2018, 17:49
(27-11-2018 07:10)simoncn Wrote:  Is the tag you are using for this named RATING? Does the problem affect FLAC files, WAV files or both?
thanks for looking at my post. I should have been more observant, but I think only wav files. I did use a tag called 'Rating' and now progressively changing them to a tag called 'rate'.
I did find whole albums in my '5' subgroup that did not have the 'rating' tag specified at all, whereas for other albums only one of the tracks on the album had the 'rating' tag specified and all the tracks appeared in the rating sub-group. since I've 'fixed' al the tracks, no more have re-appeared although I've re-scanned in minimserver and re-booted the Synology.
27-11-2018, 18:03
WAV files use ID3v2 tags. These tags can contain a frame named POPM (popularimeter) which includes a rating value. Until recently, MinimServer ignored the POPM frame. From update 125 onwards, MinimServer reads the POPM frame and maps the rating value in this frame to a RATING tag.

From what you have described, it sounds like some of your WAV files contain ID3v2 POPM frames and MinimServer is mapping these frames to RATING tags that you don't want. The fix is either to remove POPM frames from your WAV files or (as you have done) change from using the RATING tag to some other tag name.
27-11-2018, 18:16
(27-11-2018 18:03)simoncn Wrote:  WAV files use ID3v2 tags. These tags can contain a frame named POPM (popularimeter) which includes a rating value. Until recently, MinimServer ignored the POPM frame. From update 125 onwards, MinimServer reads the POPM frame and maps the rating value in this frame to a RATING tag.

From what you have described, it sounds like some of your WAV files contain ID3v2 POPM frames and MinimServer is mapping these frames to RATING tags that you don't want. The fix is either to remove POPM frames from your WAV files or (as you have done) change from using the RATING tag to some other tag name.
thanks for that. some of my wav files do include the 'pop' tag which I am progressively deleting. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure all tracks that wrongly appeared in my sub-groups had the 'pop'. I'm sure I've got quite a few more with the pop specified (before I started making sure that my CD rips only have the tags that I want). I will monitor and provide any update.
fyi - i only use values of 1 through 5 for my rating, whereas the 'pop' tag seems to be typically in the 00s - e.g. 160. finally, I've been using KID3 (mac) for ages. Are you aware of software I can use against my whole library to identify which tracks have specific tags? thanks in advance. marinko
27-11-2018, 22:41
(27-11-2018 18:16)mv70 Wrote:  Are you aware of software I can use against my whole library to identify which tracks have specific tags? thanks in advance. marinko

MinimServer is the best software that I know of for this. Smile Add the tag(s) in question to indexTags, then select the tag name and select "n items".