Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch new package notification no longer working?
14-10-2018, 08:51
Minimwatch new package notification no longer working?
My Minimserver installation is set with auto update disabled. I've always found that when a new package version is available, Minimwatch tells me this when I start it. I've noticed on the last couple of package updates that Minimwatch no longer does this. Last night, I happened to boot up an old NAS with Minimserver on it, and Minimwatch notified me of the available update, so I am wondering if at some point a package update broke this?

I run Minimwatch on a Win 7 PC.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2018, 15:59
RE: Minimwatch new package notification no longer working?
The latest available update is 125 but this needs to be installed manually if you want it. At present, you will only receive auto-updates and update notifications for update 124. If no problems are reported with update 125 in the next few days, I will enable this update for auto-updates and update notifications.
14-10-2018, 17:14
(14-10-2018 15:59)simoncn Wrote:  The latest available update is 125 but this needs to be installed manually if you want it. At present, you will only receive auto-updates and update notifications for update 124. If no problems are reported with update 125 in the next few days, I will enable this update for auto-updates and update notifications.

Thanks. So you are saying there is a lag between an update being announced on minimserver.com and when Minimwatch will pop up a notification? Has that always been the case?
14-10-2018, 17:41
The first stage is to announce the update on the Release Notes page and make the package available for manual installation. The second stage is to publish the update for auto-update and MinimWatch notification.

In the past, both these stages have normally happened at the same time. This has very occasionally caused problems for users if the update has a problem that I haven't detected in my testing and if many users have applied the update before the problem has been reported and fixed.

If the update has changes that are likely to be relevant only to a small number of users, I think it makes sense to separate the first stage and second stage by a few days, so that users who don't need the update won't be impacted if by any chance the update has a problem. This is what I am doing with update 125.
14-10-2018, 20:32
Thanks, sounds sensible, I know now it's not a setting at my end.
17-10-2018, 09:42
As no-one has reported any problems with update 125, this is now enabled for auto-update and MinimWatch notification.
18-10-2018, 12:22
(14-10-2018 17:41)simoncn Wrote:  The first stage is to announce the update on the Release Notes page and make the package available for manual installation. The second stage is to publish the update for auto-update and MinimWatch notification.

In the past, both these stages have normally happened at the same time. This has very occasionally caused problems for users if the update has a problem that I haven't detected in my testing and if many users have applied the update before the problem has been reported and fixed.

If the update has changes that are likely to be relevant only to a small number of users, I think it makes sense to separate the first stage and second stage by a few days, so that users who don't need the update won't be impacted if by any chance the update has a problem. This is what I am doing with update 125.

Thanks Simon. I had wondered the other day about the lack of notification when I noticed the release was showing as available but hadn't had time to post. Cheers