Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagupdatefile
09-12-2020, 13:32
RE: Tagupdatefile
I was heading in the direction of a tagupdate file...But sounds like that will not work. I use the favorite tag as follows; I have tagged about 20 tracks with "Blues" as the value for favorite. So if I want to hear those particular tracks I click on the favorite index and my "Blues" list is ready. I'm open to other suggestions...

BTW This forum is by far one of the best run as far as audio goes.You can ask a question and get a civil reply, not a snarky response like in other forums I look at.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2020, 16:47
Have you tried:
indexTag: Favorite=Blues

If you want to give it a label (otherwise it will just appear as Favorite in the control point) use:
Favorite=Blues:Favorite Blues Songs

If you follow the above you'll see what, and how a filter works. You can have many of these, but there will be some work required.

I'm still not clear whether you have, or are planning to have, other values in that tag.
The only alternative is to have it as you do now with an Indexed list, albeit there are ways to customise the values, so it would be useful if you could describe exactly how you wanted the Indexed List to look and we'll see if we can help.
10-12-2020, 14:14
I have tagged FAVORITE with more than just Blues...I have a few other artists I like and have added a FAVORITE tag to a few of their tracks. When I view the index under FAVORITE, the Blues and other artists I have tagged show up. This works and I can live with the [unknown] for the missing tags.

I'm always tweaking my settings because you can do so much with this tool and it's nice to learn how others approach similar issues.

I am Not following your suggestion...
Have you tried:
indexTag: Favorite=Blues
??? Where would I place this???

If you want to give it a label (otherwise it will just appear as Favorite in the control point) use:
Favorite=Blues:Favorite Blues Songs
??? Where would I place this??? Is this an alias?
10-12-2020, 14:37 (This post was last modified: 10-12-2020 14:43 by simbun.)
(10-12-2020 14:14)aspaceintime Wrote:  indexTag: Favorite=Blues

You'd place it in the indexTag section (replacing the Favorite you already have in there).
It acts as a direct filter for a tag with a given value, so one step rather than two (in contrast to a simple index), but it's usually used with a tag that has a single purpose e.g. a compilation tag (true/false), hence I wanted to know about other values.
You can have multiple filters, one for each value (with more configuration required) but too many and they will start to clutter up your menu system, but as always, everyone's different.
11-12-2020, 22:22
(10-12-2020 14:37)simbun Wrote:  
(10-12-2020 14:14)aspaceintime Wrote:  indexTag: Favorite=Blues

You'd place it in the indexTag section (replacing the Favorite you already have in there).
It acts as a direct filter for a tag with a given value, so one step rather than two (in contrast to a simple index), but it's usually used with a tag that has a single purpose e.g. a compilation tag (true/false), hence I wanted to know about other values.
You can have multiple filters, one for each value (with more configuration required) but too many and they will start to clutter up your menu system, but as always, everyone's different.
Ok, I gave this tweak a go and I like how it turned out. Thanks! I learned something new.
How would you add more than one value to the Favorite string? Separate by a comma?
11-12-2020, 23:29
(11-12-2020 22:22)aspaceintime Wrote:  How would you add more than one value to the Favorite string? Separate by a comma?
It's not something you can do with the syntax at the moment, as you can only reference a tag once in indexTag - although Simon has said he'd like to look into it at some point - this is where TagUpdate comes in.

What you need to do is create a new pseudo tag in MinimServer for each filter you want. So, if you wanted a filter for Jazz and a filter for Classical you'd add:
Code:
@FAVORITE=Jazz
+FAVJAZZ=1
@FAVORITE=Classical
+FAVCLASSICAL=1
A tagUpdate file is just a text file you store somewhere on the MinimServer server and you point to it from the MinimServer config setting tagUpdate.

This creates two new tags (in MinimServer) that contain a value of 1 for each song that has a FAVORITE tag with a value of Jazz or Classical.

Then you'd simply reference these tags within your indexTag section as:
FAVJAZZ=1:Favorite Jazz Albums, FAVCLASSICAL=1:Favorite Classical Albums
12-12-2020, 01:53
(11-12-2020 22:22)aspaceintime Wrote:  How would you add more than one value to the Favorite string? Separate by a comma?

You can achieve this without using the tagupdate feature.

For example

- add tagFormat entry of
Code:
FavoriteBlues.indexFormat={$Favorite}
FavoriteJazz.indexFormat={$Favorite}

- add indexTag of
Code:
FavoriteBlues=Blues
FavoriteJazz=Jazz
12-12-2020, 10:26 (This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 12:19 by simbun.)
(12-12-2020 01:53)Alandbush Wrote:  You can achieve this without using the tagupdate feature.

For example

- add tagFormat entry of
Code:
FavoriteBlues.indexFormat={$Favorite}
FavoriteJazz.indexFormat={$Favorite}

And you can also achieve it by using a tagValue of FavoriteBlues.default={Favorite}, and by, and by, and by ;-)

If I'm going to initialise it in the MinimServer settings I tend to prefer the tagValue .default approach as it's processed earlier in the chain which means I can do more things with it, like apply a custom sort order. I tend to also reserve tagFormat entries for more complex tag/string manipulations, which is what I think it's designed for.

Having said that I don't know enough about the inner workings of MinimServer to know whether one is more efficient than the other if all you need to do is copy an entire tag.

The reason I prefer tagUpdate over the other options for filter usage is because it's more efficient - at least logically, although I'm sure Simon will come back and tell me it's all the same!
Lets take a simple example where I have 25,000 songs and 5 genres which are spread out evenly across the songs (5,000 per genre), and I want to create a filter for each of the genre's.

For both approaches I'd need to create 4 additional tags assuming I'm using the genre tag itself as one of the filters.

With tagUpdate, each additional tag would contain the values of only one genre, so in total I'm creating an additional 20,000 tag values (4 genre's x 5,000 songs each).

With .default or .indexFormat, each tag would contain all the values from genre (as it's a complete copy), so I'm creating an addtional 100,000 tag values (4 genre's x 25,000 songs).

The other reason I prefer it is that it keeps the MinimServer config cleaner, but as always, each to their own.
22-12-2020, 19:11
(12-11-2018 12:29)Reinibert Wrote:  Thank you Simoncn.

As a atachment now my tagupdtefile. Maybe other like to use this file to manage their classical-composers. For me it was interissting to find classical compositions in some jazz-tracks and in the compilations.

To get it work you have to wirite into
indexTags "COMPSOERSRT2" Myself I use "COMPOSERSORT2:Klassikkomponisten".

tag.Options "COMPOSERSORT2.reverseName.display.index"

and ofcourse in tagUpdate the path from the tagupdte-file.

Thanks for posting this and for your attached file. I have tried it and am sorry to say I ran into some serious problems. There seems to be a lot of iterations in your list of composers. When restarting Minimserver it sends me a warning that there are duplicate @ in the file.
How do you avoid this?