Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer not visible via VPN
09-09-2018, 10:09
MinimServer not visible via VPN
MinimServer working in my home network perfectly for a couple of years, running on QNap NAS. It’s visible in the Naim app.
Recently I can access my home network using VPN from my iPhone.
Minimserver does show up as DLNA server in the 8player app when on WiFi in my local network. This also works when using home network WiFi and VPN simultaneously. If WiFi is subsequently closed off it keeps working (over 4G). It stops detecting MinimServer if i do a detect/rescan.
When originally only VPN was on and WiFi off (as would be the case if i was not at home) 8player also does not detect Minimserver.
This could be a 8player issue?
Added Note: Same issue with other DLNA apps on iPhone. (Initial) detection only on WiFi.
So a subnet visibility issue? Any clue how to circumvent that?
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2018, 21:51
RE: MinimServer not visible via VPN
MinimServer doesn't have built-in support for discovery and usage over a VPN. You should be able to use BubbleUPnP Server (not the same as the BubbleUPnP control point) to enable this usage of MinimServer.
Find all posts by this user
14-09-2018, 20:54
Hello,

you wrote that you use 8Player. This app has the possibility to connect to your DLNA server via VPN. Just follow the instructions on their site http://8softmobile.com/products/8player/; scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you can find the instructions for VPN playback.

This method works for me, btw.

Kind regards
steamfan
Find all posts by this user
14-09-2018, 23:46
(14-09-2018 20:54)steamfan Wrote:  Hello,

you wrote that you use 8Player. This app has the possibility to connect to your DLNA server via VPN. Just follow the instructions on their site http://8softmobile.com/products/8player/; scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you can find the instructions for VPN playback.

This method works for me, btw.

@steamfan Thanks, good tip that works perfectly!!Angel