Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2018, 06:55
RE: Mp3 transcoding and replay gain
Same as yours I believe? HS-251+
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2018, 07:00
Just looking - QTS 4.3.4, updated on 20th August. And I have just got yet another firmware update notification.
I actually wonder whether an update somewhen has installed a newer ffmpeg that doesn't work?
06-09-2018, 07:50
I am away from home at present so I can't try this on my HS-251+. The x86_64 build from this page should work. You just need the 'ffmpeg' binary executable.

Note: Firefox is refusing to load the page because of a SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE error. It can be loaded by Chrome and Opera.
06-09-2018, 08:41
Hi Timster,

I also use replay gain tag added to flac files with a fair amount of my ripped cd's. Very nice to avoid big changes in output level on different tracks.

I also have a few MP3 files, mostly from some of the first rips I made of songs I didn't like that much but still wanted to copy before ditching the cd. That was, of course, before I knew the option of converting the wav rips to a compressed flac file.

Anyway, like you I have MP3 files that don't work with replay gain tags. I simply converted these to FLAC (6 I think) and added replay gain. The files have become a little larger, but unless you have thousands, that's hardly a problem.
So that's what I would suggest you to do as well. It's easy, it works and it doesn't take forever to do. Not the most elegant solution from a technical point of view though.

Claus
06-09-2018, 09:31
Thanks Claus. I may have to resort to that if I can't get it fixed, but I don;t really want to do that. I like to know what I have is either lossless or lossy!
06-09-2018, 09:43
(06-09-2018 07:50)simoncn Wrote:  I am away from home at present so I can't try this on my HS-251+. The x86_64 build from this page should work. You just need the 'ffmpeg' binary executable.

Note: Firefox is refusing to load the page because of a SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE error. It can be loaded by Chrome and Opera.

Thanks Simon, yet again excellent support! Worked a treat Smile

Just out of interest, I can't get to the "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/opt/bin" directory to put it in there, so I put it in /share/Public for now. How do I actually get to those MD0 etc. paths? I set File Manager to show hidden files but the MD0_DATA isn't there.

Anyway, I also had to set it to have executable permission for "owner". I think you may need to add that to the user guide. It was only gut instinct that made me think of it when it didn't work initially!

Thanks again though. Happy Camper Smile
06-09-2018, 09:51
I understand. With some albums that are all mp3 files I have named the folder as ALBUM NAME 320k.
For individual tracks within an album otherwise saved as FLAC it's not as easy, but you could add an M to the track name.

Surely you will probably notice the lower sound quality when listening, but I take it that you're referring to when looking at the files on the server.

Claus
06-09-2018, 10:10
(06-09-2018 09:51)ClausDK Wrote:  I understand. With some albums that are all mp3 files I have named the folder as ALBUM NAME 320k.
For individual tracks within an album otherwise saved as FLAC it's not as easy, but you could add an M to the track name.

Surely you will probably notice the lower sound quality when listening, but I take it that you're referring to when looking at the files on the server.

Claus

Exactly. Although transcoding changes them to WAV anyway, I can either look at the URI or I also have the AudioFormat index, so I can filter the pesky things out when browsing.
06-09-2018, 18:02
(06-09-2018 09:43)timster Wrote:  Thanks Simon, yet again excellent support! Worked a treat Smile

Just out of interest, I can't get to the "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/opt/bin" directory to put it in there, so I put it in /share/Public for now. How do I actually get to those MD0 etc. paths? I set File Manager to show hidden files but the MD0_DATA isn't there.

Anyway, I also had to set it to have executable permission for "owner". I think you may need to add that to the user guide. It was only gut instinct that made me think of it when it didn't work initially!

Thanks again though. Happy Camper Smile

Glad to hear it was successful. I will look into these points when I return home and have access to the NAS. I will also try to find out why the QNAP default ffmpeg has this problem.