Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you access the console interface?
28-05-2018, 23:17
How do you access the console interface?
There are several references in the MinimServer User Guide to the use of a "console interface". I am guessing that this is another term for a command-line interface, but I have failed to find any instructions for how to access such a facility.

I was prompted to search for this when looking up the meaning of the logLevel configuration setting. Apparently, this property is only accessible via the console interface.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2018, 08:55
RE: How do you access the console interface?
To set the logging level (.logLevel property), do the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) In the logging window, change the "Logging level" setting in the lower left corner of the window

I will update the user guide to clarify this.

The way you access the console interface varies depending on which platform(s) are being used to run MinimServer and/or MinimWatch. What is your setup?
29-05-2018, 09:09
I can't remember the last time I looked at Show Log, so I had long forgotten seeing the drop-down box for setting the logging level. However, I presume that the popup dialogue boxes generated by MinimWatch are not what you mean by a "console interface".

In my current setup, MinimServer runs on a Synology DS412+ NAS, while MinimWatch is installed on a Windows 10 PC.
29-05-2018, 10:51
To access the console interface, do the following:

1) On your Windows PC, from the MinimWatch minim icon, select Exit
2) Install MinimWatch 0.8.5.3 for Windows and don't select the option to run MinimWatch after installation
3) On your Windows PC, navigate to the C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\bin folder and double-click the startc.cmd file
4) For a list of the commands you can enter, see this section
5) To end the console session, use the 'exit' command
29-05-2018, 11:38
Thanks for that clarification.

The User Guide statement that the logging level must be set from the console interface was my only reason for asking about that interface. That advice is clearly out of date. Is there any remaining reason why I would ever want to switch to the console interface?
29-05-2018, 15:14
The console interface is intended for use on systems that don't have a graphical user interface. In your setup, there is no reason to use it.

I have updated the description of .logLevel on the Properties page.
29-05-2018, 16:59
Thanks for that.

While you are thinking about the online user guide, you might like to consider adding some explanation of OhNet. Readers might be able to guess that you are referring to OpenHome Networking rather than the French author Georges Ohnet, but the relationship between OhNet and MinimServer is not made clear (assuming I have not missed something).
29-05-2018, 17:27
There is a pointer to the correct ohNet (note capitalisation) on this page.
29-05-2018, 17:41
Ooops. I don't have much of an excuse for missing that reference, because I seem to remember alerting you to a broken link on that page some time ago!