Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A request for Genre/Subgenre handling
05-03-2013, 11:38
A request for Genre/Subgenre handling
Hi,
I'm new to MinimServer - and at first I'd like to say how impressed and thankful I am!
I've tried nearly every DNLA-Server available for my Synology DS212j but MinimServer does more than I thought it could be possible.
I'm already busy correcting all my tags.

But now my request:
I'm working with GENRE, SUBGENRE and STYLE.
STYLE is a category that might be independent from GENRE, so it works ok for me as it is.
But 'd love to see SUBGENREs in folders below the GENREs, and not on the same level.
Or is this already possible?

Thanks and regards,
Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 12:54
RE: A request for Genre/Subgenre handling
(05-03-2013 11:38)MartinGr Wrote:  Hi,
I'm new to MinimServer - and at first I'd like to say how impressed and thankful I am!
I've tried nearly every DNLA-Server available for my Synology DS212j but MinimServer does more than I thought it could be possible.
I'm already busy correcting all my tags.

But now my request:
I'm working with GENRE, SUBGENRE and STYLE.
STYLE is a category that might be independent from GENRE, so it works ok for me as it is.
But 'd love to see SUBGENREs in folders below the GENREs, and not on the same level.
Or is this already possible?

Thanks and regards,
Martin

MinimServer always shows all valid tag choices for the contents of the current selection. To do what you want, you can select the Genre first, then select the Subgenre from the next-level menu.

The design philosophy of MinimServer is that all tag choices are treated as independent and can be made in any order. This approach is simple and clear, and works well in nearly all cases. I suppose it might be possible to design a way to make some choices conditional on other choices having been made first, but I'm not convinced that adding this would be worth the extra complexity.
05-03-2013, 16:08
(05-03-2013 12:54)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer always shows all valid tag choices for the contents of the current selection. To do what you want, you can select the Genre first, then select the Subgenre from the next-level menu.

The design philosophy of MinimServer is that all tag choices are treated as independent and can be made in any order. This approach is simple and clear, and works well in nearly all cases. I suppose it might be possible to design a way to make some choices conditional on other choices having been made first, but I'm not convinced that adding this would be worth the extra complexity.
Thank you for your fast reply.
To my taste, it wouldn't be bad to be able to define some rules for filtering. But maybe you are right an it would become too complex.

But I have a problem:
Until now, I've just tested a SUBGENRE tag with a single album. I've included SUBGENRE and STYLE to the index properties, but only the STYLE folders appear in the GENRE folder. The SUBGENRE I tested is not visible as a folder inside of the GENRE folder. Does it depend from the order in which the indexes are listed in the MinimWatch properties?

Thanks a lot,
Martin
05-03-2013, 16:56
Is there a one to one match between Genre and Subgenre? If so, I think Subgenre will not appear - see part of the manual below

'One or more tag choices. Each of these choices is displayed as a tag name such as Artist, Genre or Conductor. The tags displayed here are those that apply to one or more items in the current selection but don't apply to all items in the current selection. If you select one of these tags, you'll see all the values for the selected tag that are available in the current selection—for example, selecting the Artist tag will show all available artists. You can select any of these tag values to create your next selection.'

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
05-03-2013, 20:18
(05-03-2013 16:08)MartinGr Wrote:  But I have a problem:
Until now, I've just tested a SUBGENRE tag with a single album. I've included SUBGENRE and STYLE to the index properties, but only the STYLE folders appear in the GENRE folder. The SUBGENRE I tested is not visible as a folder inside of the GENRE folder. Does it depend from the order in which the indexes are listed in the MinimWatch properties?

You're seeing this because MinimServer automatically adjusts the tag choices to match the contents of your current browsing selection (a feature known as Intelligent Browsing). If all the items in the current selection have the same SUBGENRE tag, MinimServer doesn't display this as a tag choice. If this tag were displayed, it would have exactly one value choice, which is equivalent to no choice at all. This feature of MinimServer is mentioned in point 3 of this section, as Peter@57m has pointed out.

The order of the index tags controls the order in which these tags appear in the menus that show tag choices. It doesn't have any other effect.