Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scripting to auto run tasks?
21-02-2013, 22:25
Scripting to auto run tasks?
Hi. Does anyone know a way to script a window files so that it can get Minimwatch to auto restart Minimserver on my NAS. I want to be able to restart (rescan) the server every time I add new music. I also want to be able to start and stop the server at different times of the day.

Bill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 22:45
RE: Scripting to auto run tasks?
(21-02-2013 22:25)Billzab Wrote:  Hi. Does anyone know a way to script a window files so that it can get Minimwatch to auto restart Minimserver on my NAS. I want to be able to restart (rescan) the server every time I add new music. I also want to be able to start and stop the server at different times of the day.

Bill.

Doing an auto restart after adding new music shouldn't be too hard. I'll experiment a bit and post something tomorrow.

For the second part, what do you mean by stopping and starting the server? If you mean doing the equivalent of selecting 'Stop' and 'Restart' from the minim icon, this should be scriptable. If you want to completely stop the server process, MinimWatch can do that but wouldn't be able to restart it later.
22-02-2013, 00:21
(21-02-2013 22:45)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 22:25)Billzab Wrote:  Hi. Does anyone know a way to script a window files so that it can get Minimwatch to auto restart Minimserver on my NAS. I want to be able to restart (rescan) the server every time I add new music. I also want to be able to start and stop the server at different times of the day.

Bill.

Doing an auto restart after adding new music shouldn't be too hard. I'll experiment a bit and post something tomorrow.

For the second part, what do you mean by stopping and starting the server? If you mean doing the equivalent of selecting 'Stop' and 'Restart' from the minim icon, this should be scriptable. If you want to completely stop the server process, MinimWatch can do that but wouldn't be able to restart it later.

Hi Simon, I have Minimserver on my office File server. I would like to be able to use Windows Scheduled Tasks to turn Minimserver on an off to match my working hours. This means that the music is not accessible to anyone out with these hours.
22-02-2013, 11:37
(22-02-2013 00:21)Billzab Wrote:  Hi Simon, I have Minimserver on my office File server. I would like to be able to use Windows Scheduled Tasks to turn Minimserver on an off to match my working hours. This means that the music is not accessible to anyone out with these hours.

Scripted equivalents of the 'Stop' and 'Restart' actions will be fine for this. For doing an auto restart after adding new music, the best approach is to use a scripted 'Restart' action without stopping MinimServer first. I'll take a look at producing some suitable scripts.
22-02-2013, 16:14 (This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 16:14 by simoncn.)
To run a script, use the following command:

java -jar "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib\minimwatch.jar" --set minimwatch.view=console <myscript

where 'myscript' is the name of a script file. To stop MinimServer, the script file should contain:

sleep 5
select displayName
stop
exit

where displayName is the display name of the MinimServer instance that you want to stop. To restart MinimServer, the script file should contain:

sleep 5
select displayName
restart
sleep 5
exit
26-02-2013, 09:21
Hi Simon. Any chance you also know how todo this on an iMac?

Greetz, Willem
26-02-2013, 10:48
(26-02-2013 09:21)whgmkeller Wrote:  Hi Simon. Any chance you also know how todo this on an iMac?

Greetz, Willem

You can do the same thing from a Terminal window. Assuming that you have installed MinimWatch in your Applications folder, the command would be:

java -Djava.library.path=/Applications/MinimWatch.app/Contents/Resources/Java/ -jar /Applications/MinimWatch.app/Contents/Resources/Java/minimwatch.jar --set minimwatch.view=console <myscript

Note: the above is a single long line.