Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differentiating tags that are shown
10-02-2013, 14:17
Differentiating tags that are shown
I would like to have a simpler display for non-classical music and a more detailed one for classical. For instance, in non-classical I don't need or want to search on the Composer tag, but I do with classical. I don't think this is possible in MinimServer -- but let me know if I'm wrong!

Some software (MusiCHI and PS Audio's EMM) supports the concept of libraries (one for classical, one for jazz, etc.) which facilitates this sort of thing. It might also be possible to do this based on genre tags; one could have a simple default view and anything tagged "classical" would get composer, sub-genre, group, etc. in addition. The user could specify what tags he/she wants indexed, as now, and also specify that only certain tags were displayed for non-classical albums. Is this something that would be possible and appropriate for a future version of MinimServer?

Thanks - David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 15:17
RE: Differentiating tags that are shown
(10-02-2013 14:17)magister Wrote:  I would like to have a simpler display for non-classical music and a more detailed one for classical. For instance, in non-classical I don't need or want to search on the Composer tag, but I do with classical. I don't think this is possible in MinimServer -- but let me know if I'm wrong!

Some software (MusiCHI and PS Audio's EMM) supports the concept of libraries (one for classical, one for jazz, etc.) which facilitates this sort of thing. It might also be possible to do this based on genre tags; one could have a simple default view and anything tagged "classical" would get composer, sub-genre, group, etc. in addition. The user could specify what tags he/she wants indexed, as now, and also specify that only certain tags were displayed for non-classical albums. Is this something that would be possible and appropriate for a future version of MinimServer?

Thanks - David

I think the only practical way to do this would be to split your collection into multiple libraries and run a separate instance of MinimServer for each library. MinimServer doesn't currently support this, but it might be supported in a future release.
10-02-2013, 18:15
(10-02-2013 15:17)simoncn Wrote:  I think the only practical way to do this would be to split your collection into multiple libraries and run a separate instance of MinimServer for each library. MinimServer doesn't currently support this, but it might be supported in a future release.

Thanks, Simon. I had thought of this, and it would be easy for me to do since I use separate folders, for classical, jazz, etc. -- so I could set MinimServer's contentDir separately for each instance. But I don't think Synology lets you run multiple instances, although I might be wrong about that. I'll try to find out for sure.

David
10-02-2013, 18:50
(10-02-2013 18:15)magister Wrote:  Thanks, Simon. I had thought of this, and it would be easy for me to do since I use separate folders, for classical, jazz, etc. -- so I could set MinimServer's contentDir separately for each instance. But I don't think Synology lets you run multiple instances, although I might be wrong about that. I'll try to find out for sure.

David

As I said, MinimServer doesn't currently support running multiple instances, but it might be supported in a future release.
03-03-2013, 11:33
(10-02-2013 18:50)simoncn Wrote:  As I said, MinimServer doesn't currently support running multiple instances, but it might be supported in a future release.

Exclamation YES YES YES Exclamation

I just discovered Minimserver
and I can see how it fullfills my needs.
It is mostly everything I searched for.
And running multiple instances
of Minimserver would be the Solution
(Windows would do for me)
to the rest ! Angel

I am reluctant Huh to set up 7 virtual machines on my
VMware Host just to achieve this.

The reason is the same as above:
I would like to set up a server for

Classic
Jazz
Pop
Filmusic
Worldmusic
Word

with the relevant Index tags only
and one additional one
aggregated with all tags.

As I think this would make
it quicker to find specific albums or
tracks or works. Heart

Looking forward
Oliviander
03-03-2013, 15:34 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 15:35 by bbrip.)
I am not to sure it is a sensible idea to create a separate libary for virtually each Genre. I can see remotely that this could make sense to differenciate Classical stuff form all the rest but everything else can just be achieved by tagging the respective Genres properly.

Just my 2c....

bbrip
03-03-2013, 16:59
(03-03-2013 15:34)bbrip Wrote:  I am not to sure it is a sensible idea to create a separate libary for virtually each Genre. I can see remotely that this could make sense to differenciate Classical stuff form all the rest but everything else can just be achieved by tagging the respective Genres properly.

Just my 2c....

bbrip

You may be right, but I am not a sensible person <g>

I think there is no difference in the effort
of making 2 instances possible or 7.

And therefore I wanted to show that there is at least one person who would even be interested in 7 Cool

Oliviander
03-03-2013, 17:04
I used to run 2 instances, one for classical music, and one for the rest.

Now I use 1 instance. I'm using a custom tag called "Collection". All classical music has Collection tag "JW-Classical", and the rest just has "JW".
That way I can also easily ignore my girlfriend's music, which is tagged with Collection "Helen" Big Grin

Works very well for me Rolleyes

JW