Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended NAS?
07-02-2013, 05:13
Recommended NAS?
All-- I'm considering getting a 4-slot NAS to use as music server. Can people make suggestions of current models they find reliable? Desired features:
  • Runs MinimServer
  • Accepts 3Tb drives
  • Reliable
  • Good tech support
  • Standard RAID levels
  • Enough processor power to transcode up to 192/24 without issues
It'll be interesting to see what people are using and happy with.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 10:36
RE: Recommended NAS?
(07-02-2013 05:13)Mike48 Wrote:  All-- I'm considering getting a 4-slot NAS to use as music server. Can people make suggestions of current models they find reliable? Desired features:
  • Runs MinimServer
  • Accepts 3Tb drives
  • Reliable
  • Good tech support
  • Standard RAID levels
  • Enough processor power to transcode up to 192/24 without issues
It'll be interesting to see what people are using and happy with.

Mike48, I have good experiences with QNAP. All the things you are mentioning (expect the last one I can't check about 192/24) work fine on a QNAP. If I were into shopping for a NAS these days I would go for e.g. QNAP TS-469L, as it has high throughput read and write, intel cpu (more choices on software) and extendable memory which is not an option in the lower end series. QNAP also updates their firmware quite often with new functionality to compete with others, but makes my old TS410 still up to date with features (that are nice to have).

However Synology make also great NAS, but I have not any experience with them.
07-02-2013, 20:02
I am extremely happy with my ReadyNAS NVX. Customer service is second to none which is important to me as I need a quick and competent fix if ever something goes wrong. It's always been prefect with the RedyNAS folks.

bbrip
09-02-2013, 05:04
Thanks to both for your comments. Now I have at least 2 to choose from. I wouldn't mind also hearing from a Synology user.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
09-02-2013, 11:18
(09-02-2013 05:04)Mike48 Wrote:  I wouldn't mind also hearing from a Synology user.

Hi, I'm very satisfied with my Synology NAS. There are various Diskstation (DS) models available and you would surely find one that fits your needs and complies with your list of desired features from your first post.
Generally, Synology NAS's provide a good build quality and offer a great firmware (DSM). You can figure it out yourself with the Synology Live Demo. Synology offers software updates for the firmware as well as for their native packages at a regular basis. The different devices will be supported at least 4 years. This means, if you buy a 2013 model now, you will receive software updates till at least 2017.
You will find a list of recommended HDDs here.

I cannot speak for QNAP or ReadyNAS, but referring to other user reports you won't experience significant disadvantages with either of these three manufacturers (except that at the moment there is not yet an official MinimServer package available for ReadyNAS).

winxi
09-02-2013, 18:27
(09-02-2013 11:18)winxi Wrote:  ........ (except that at the moment there is not yet an official MinimServer package available for ReadyNAS).

This should change very soon. Smile
09-02-2013, 23:58
(09-02-2013 11:18)winxi Wrote:  Hi, I'm very satisfied with my Synology NAS. ...

Winxi, Thanks for the feedback. I got the impression from a previous post that Synology models had more than one type of processor, and that only some of those are supported by Minim Server. Can you comment on that?

Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
10-02-2013, 13:06
Hi Mike,

I bought the lowest-priced (and lowest-powered) Synology NAS, not realizing at the time I might ask it to transcode FLAC to WAV. Despite its slow processor and minuscule memory, it handles do the transcoding with only an occasional hiccup on 192/24 files. This speaks well of the Synology as well as the efficient code Simon must have written in MinimServer. So I'm sure any of the higher-level models would be fine for you. As winxi said, the Synology website makes it easy to compare the various models. There is a good review of a four-bay Synology model, using the compact 2.5" drives, on the Computer Audiophile website.

I had not used Synology products before and I am particularly impressed with the Disk Station Manager (DSM) operating system. It it well-organized, very capable, and easy to learn.

The MinimServer download page offers Synology packages for both x86 and ARM processors.

Hope this helps -- David
10-02-2013, 15:13
(09-02-2013 23:58)Mike48 Wrote:  Winxi, Thanks for the feedback. I got the impression from a previous post that Synology models had more than one type of processor, and that only some of those are supported by Minim Server. Can you comment on that?

Mike

The processors in the current Synology range are Intel, ARM and PowerPC. The current release of MinimServer supports Intel and ARM, and the next release will add support for PowerPC (Synology DS213+). It won't support older Synology models that use a previous generation of PowerPC chips.
10-02-2013, 19:15
(09-02-2013 23:58)Mike48 Wrote:  Winxi, Thanks for the feedback. I got the impression from a previous post that Synology models had more than one type of processor, and that only some of those are supported by Minim Server. Can you comment on that?

For their regular models, Synology uses the "DSBYYx" naming convention, where "DS" stands for "Disk Station", "B" specifies the HDD bays available and "YY" the year of appearance. The "x" gives some clue about the hardware in terms of memory and CPU power. It can either be "j", left out or "+", where "j" means weak hardware, nothing means mediocre computing power and "+" means high computing power.
Most of the models use either ARM or Intel x86 CPUs. There are older models (till 2010) which use PowerPC CPUs and Synology recently introduced two PowerPC models again. Specifically, these are the DS213+ and the DS413. As Simon already mentioned, both these two models will be officially supported soon in addition to all the ARM and x86 models (but not the older PowerPC models). This means that all current Synology DS models are supported by MinimServer.