Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genre displayed as numbers??
15-04-2018, 17:49
Genre displayed as numbers??
Hello,
I am aware that the Genre Tag can be either a numeric index or a text value. In my library I have a mix of both. I would expect that Minim exhibits the Genre always a text using a standard lookup table when encountering a Genre numerical index.
However on my client I see Genres like 2, 4 or even with brackets (3), (5)...
When sorting alphabetically by Genre this numbers are on top and only later the "normal" text values are displayed...

Anything wrong with my config?

Thanks, Haegar
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2018, 18:00
RE: Genre displayed as numbers??
This means there is something wrong with the format of your ID3v2 Genre tags. If the numeric values are not in the correct format (as defined by ID3v2), MinimServer will not be able to translate them to text values.

What tagging program do you use? Do the Genre values for the files with this problem show correctly as text strings in this tagging program?
15-04-2018, 18:38
(15-04-2018 18:00)simoncn Wrote:  What tagging program do you use? Do the Genre values for the files with this problem show correctly as text strings in this tagging program?

I discovered kid3 as best option for my Mac and I already did a lot of tag cleaning on my music lib based on "nit-picking" minim server error messages during scanning Wink

However kid3 does not show me any difference for numerical or string genre values. The numbers are correctly translated as text. However I now discovered that some other taggers like Media Rage do also show numbers instead of Genre text!UndecidedConfused

So you are saying that Minim would indeed translate the numbers if the format is correct?
15-04-2018, 21:13
Yes, MinimServer translates the numbers if the format is correct according to the ID3v2 specification. It sounds like kid3 isn't using the correct ID3v2 format for numeric genres. As a workaround, can you use kid3 to convert the numbers to text by setting the "Genre as text instead of numeric string" option? The other option is to change to a different tagging program.
16-04-2018, 12:16
after some investigation I realised that there are lot of Genre Tags displayed as numbers. Some taggers/players do an automatic translation, some not - including Minim...
The problem might be related to the coding: Mimin might only check for TCON frames where the genre is coded as an integer? However all my TCON frames are strings with content like "3" or "(3)" which is (by some apps) displayed as "Dance"

Instead of browsing and correcting thru hundreds of music files it would be nice if Minim would do this translation? Wink My standard DNLA Server on my Synology NAS never displays Genre numbers...?
16-04-2018, 12:31
Actually I found a solution using the tagUpdate parameter. As the genre number are actually string I can use replace functions like (3)=Dance etc. Learned something about Minim, thanks!
16-04-2018, 19:46
In ID3v2.4, the genre is a numeric string, so the value "3" would be translated to Dance but the value "(3)" would not be translated. In ID3v2.3, the genre is a numeric string enclosed in parentheses, so the value "(3)" would be translated to Dance but the value "3" would not be translated. This might explain the problems you are seeing.
17-04-2018, 13:24 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2018 13:24 by paultaylor.)
If you have a mixture of ID323 and ID3v24 fields I would recommend standardizing on one or the other to make life easier, preferably ID3v24.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2018, 17:29
Interesting... and quiet a mess Wink Indeed I found an example for an ID3v24 file with the ID3v22 Genre (3) tag. Thus the tagger kid3 did not do a proper translation from v23 to v24.
In general I would recommend not to be so strict with Minim when it comes to standards. Media Tags are just one example where standards are not followed however I would have never noticed any of this with any media player so far.
17-04-2018, 21:39 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2018 21:40 by simoncn.)
The problem with not being strict with standards is that it creates a "race to the bottom" where every product comes under pressure to accommodate the bugs in other products and interoperability becomes a moving target based on "bug compatibility" with other products. I don't think this would be a good situation.