Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icons when browsing
19-01-2013, 16:48
Icons when browsing
I have some questions and a suggestion about icons when browsing.

Questions: when I browse my library, sometimes an album cover is shown and sometimes not. For instance, right now I'm browsing by Composer and most of the names have an album cover, but a few do not. Likewise with Genre and Conductor.

1) Is the display of an album cover controlled by MinimServer or by my control point? (I have customized indexTags to show composer, conductor and composition, among others, and my controller [PS Audio's eLyric] implements this correctly.)

2) If controlled by MinimServer, how is the choice of cover determined when one is not looking at specific album? The last one in a category that was played? Why are some blank?

Suggestion: I find it a little disconcerting sometimes to see covers and sometimes not, and to see one particular cover in a category. E.g., I have several albums by Beethoven; something in my brain doesn't like seeing a random album when I'm browsing by composer -- "Hold on! I didn't ask for that album . . . I know I have more Beethoven albums . . . ???"

Would it be possible to load at startup a list of tags and associated images; something like "conductor=cndctr.jpg" and the image cndctr.jpg would be displayed rather than an album cover when browsing by conductors?

Maybe some people like seeing a cover, even if it's not the one they're looking for. And I have no idea how hard this would be to implement. I would be willing to contribute some icons if Simon would implement this feature. (I'm no great artist, but at least it would be a starting point, and those with the skills could always improve them Smile. )

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2013, 17:13
RE: Icons when browsing
(19-01-2013 16:48)magister Wrote:  I have some questions and a suggestion about icons when browsing.

Questions: when I browse my library, sometimes an album cover is shown and sometimes not. For instance, right now I'm browsing by Composer and most of the names have an album cover, but a few do not. Likewise with Genre and Conductor.

1) Is the display of an album cover controlled by MinimServer or by my control point? (I have customized indexTags to show composer, conductor and composition, among others, and my controller [PS Audio's eLyric] implements this correctly.)

2) If controlled by MinimServer, how is the choice of cover determined when one is not looking at specific album? The last one in a category that was played? Why are some blank?

Suggestion: I find it a little disconcerting sometimes to see covers and sometimes not, and to see one particular cover in a category. E.g., I have several albums by Beethoven; something in my brain doesn't like seeing a random album when I'm browsing by composer -- "Hold on! I didn't ask for that album . . . I know I have more Beethoven albums . . . ???"

Would it be possible to load at startup a list of tags and associated images; something like "conductor=cndctr.jpg" and the image cndctr.jpg would be displayed rather than an album cover when browsing by conductors?

Maybe some people like seeing a cover, even if it's not the one they're looking for. And I have no idea how hard this would be to implement. I would be willing to contribute some icons if Simon would implement this feature. (I'm no great artist, but at least it would be a starting point, and those with the skills could always improve them Smile. )

David

I think the problem you're seeing is caused by PS Audio eLyric. I've seen similar things when browsing with PlugPlayer, and PS Audio eLyric is a rebranded and customzied version of PlugPlayer.

When I browse using Kinsky, I see a "person" icon for the Conductor index and for each conductor in that index. The icon graphic is provided by Kinsky. MinimServer tells Kinsky to display this by sending a container type of object.container.person to the control point.

I suggest you raise this as a problem report with PS Audio eLyric. Perhaps the PS Audio folks could explain why random cover images are displayed instead of displaying a "person" icon as Kinsky does. They might even be willing to make some improvements in this area.

It might be possible to do something like you're suggesting in a future release of MinimServer. The simplest way to implement it would be for MinimServer to look for a file named 'Conductor.jpg' when it scans your library. If if finds this file, it would associate it with the Conductor index tag (and similarly for Composer, etc.)

As a further refinement, it would be possible for MinimServer to look for image files for specific conductors such as 'Sir Colin Davis.jpg', or specific composers such as 'J. S. Bach.jpg'. You could spend many happy hours making a collection of these icons. Smile
19-01-2013, 17:42
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply and the info about eLyric. I will definitely raise this issue on the PS Audio forum. I just tried Kinsky on my iPad and I like the "person" icon; much better than a random cover.

What you suggest in your next to last paragraph was what I had in mind, generic icons for classical, jazz, etc. Obviously it would be too much work to have icons for every composer.

David
19-01-2013, 17:51
(19-01-2013 17:42)magister Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply and the info about eLyric. I will definitely raise this issue on the PS Audio forum. I just tried Kinsky on my iPad and I like the "person" icon; much better than a random cover.

What you suggest in your next to last paragraph was what I had in mind, generic icons for classical, jazz, etc. Obviously it would be too much work to have icons for every composer.

David

With the scheme I was suggesting, if you create icons for classical or jazz, you would only see these icons in the Genre index. Is that what you had in mind? MinimServer wouldn't be able to know whether a specific composer is associated with classical or jazz works.
19-01-2013, 22:56 (This post was last modified: 19-01-2013 22:56 by bbrip.)
Random covers for composers, Genre, Artist etc. work perfectly well for me when using Minim in conjunction with LUMIN CP.

Definitely not the one to spend time on creating individual icons over here Wink

bbrip