Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver on ReadyNAS Duo v2 (arm)
17-01-2013, 22:00
Minimserver on ReadyNAS Duo v2 (arm)
I am currently using Minimserver on a laptop connected to my NAS. Will it be available for the (arm) ReadyNAS Duo soon? I would be willing to beta test it needed although my knowledge of Linux is nil (which might actually make me the ideal beta tester)

Cheers, Bill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 22:40
RE: Minimserver on ReadyNAS Duo v2 (arm)
(17-01-2013 22:00)Billzab Wrote:  I am currently using Minimserver on a laptop connected to my NAS. Will it be available for the (arm) ReadyNAS Duo soon? I would be willing to beta test it needed although my knowledge of Linux is nil (which might actually make me the ideal beta tester)

Cheers, Bill.

I hope it will be soon. I'm juggling quite a few balls at the moment, and this is one of them. Unless I run into unexpected problems, I should have something available within the next month. I'll post an announcement when there's a test build that you (and other Duo users) can try.
18-01-2013, 19:28
(17-01-2013 22:40)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 22:00)Billzab Wrote:  I am currently using Minimserver on a laptop connected to my NAS. Will it be available for the (arm) ReadyNAS Duo soon? I would be willing to beta test it needed although my knowledge of Linux is nil (which might actually make me the ideal beta tester)

Cheers, Bill.

I hope it will be soon. I'm juggling quite a few balls at the moment, and this is one of them. Unless I run into unexpected problems, I should have something available within the next month. I'll post an announcement when there's a test build that you (and other Duo users) can try.

Thanks Simon. I realise you will be a busy man, I just hope you are going to make a little money from your efforts.

Bill.
18-01-2013, 20:54
(18-01-2013 19:28)Billzab Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I realise you will be a busy man, I just hope you are going to make a little money from your efforts.

Bill.

At the moment, I'm getting a few donations each week, of varying amounts. I'm very grateful for all of these. Smile
13-02-2013, 20:03
Just installed Minimserver on the Duo v2 (see thread: http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=472)

The installation of the Java Run Time Environment is a bit of a pain, you have to register with Oracle, but worth the effort. This is the only media server you will need for your music once installed.

Hats off to Simon for all his hard work.

Bill.
13-02-2013, 20:28
(13-02-2013 20:03)Billzab Wrote:  Just installed Minimserver on the Duo v2 (see thread: http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=472)

The installation of the Java Run Time Environment is a bit of a pain, you have to register with Oracle, but worth the effort. This is the only media server you will need for your music once installed.

Hats off to Simon for all his hard work.

Bill.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about the need to register with Oracle. It's possible to use OpenJDK instead, but the ARM version of this is so slow that I don't recommend it. Perhaps one day there will be an OpenJDK for ARM with good performance.

Using OpenJDK would be a viable option for Intel, but this requires enabling root SSH access and using apt-get to install it. You'd also need to manually add a link in /usr/local/bin to the java executable.